baby not gaining weight despite trying

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
calasen

baby not gaining weight despite trying

Post by calasen » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:50 pm

We got all 3 boys from same litter as a friend had them handed in same age 6 weeks but 2 first and then the 3rd one was thought to be a girl and was left alone so we got "her" for a friend - got home and "she" had grown some bits during the time we had "her" out for attention

Now his personalitys perfect hes a right little terror and eats no problem but while the others are growing and gaining weight hes still very thin and his furs still wiry - the others all gone soft -- just thinking theres something we missing we make sure hes got extra foods and protein and everything to help young ratties be healthy but he just dont seem to gain weight

OH thinks its possibly psychological damage as he did spend 3 weeks alone after the others been homed as all thought he was female and no others females were in litter

We got them in October and they now 4 1/2 months old.

Anyone have any ideas on how we can help him gain some weight and/or why hes not?

Please we really do need help with this and the vet can't find anything wrong health wise.
Faust, Briar, Nikolai, Jayne, Inara, Kaylee, Saffron, Zoe, Arista, Anya, Freyr, Rosa and Jorja.
R.I.P. Boris, Ginny, Nibbler, Malacoda, Riffraff, Rattas, Puck, Indiana, Blob, Mephistopheles, Basil, River, - run free little ones

Jemma

Re: baby not gaining weight despite trying

Post by Jemma » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:53 am

Some rats never seem to really thrive, often there is some sort of underlying health issue but it’s very tricky to actually pin down until later in life when they start showing symptoms, the main ones I can think of are heart issues and respiratory issues.

Does he eat as much as the others, as some of my smaller rats have eaten but not really been food motivated, so they literally only ate enough to survive and then were far too busy being terrors, one girl I had like this carried on this way her whole life and outlived all her sisters but remained about half there size, saying that her coat was soft throughout her life and in fair condition (considering back then they were fed on reggie).

What are you feeding out of interest and does this chap get any special food/treats. The first thing I would recommend is giving him some nice oil a couple times a week, fish oil (such a salmon oil) and linseed (or flax) oil are 2 of the best, olive oil can also help. I would give a few drops soaked into a piece of bread. This should help his fur condition a little to start with.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

calasen

Post by calasen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:11 am

he never stops eating :P

We feed them all a variation on the shaunamite diet and try to make sure he gets extra milk and protein rich foods as well as nutrical and that to help get his weight up but hes just not seeming to grow at all - either in size or weight :s

Thank you for replying and will definately try the oil to see if it helps :P
Faust, Briar, Nikolai, Jayne, Inara, Kaylee, Saffron, Zoe, Arista, Anya, Freyr, Rosa and Jorja.
R.I.P. Boris, Ginny, Nibbler, Malacoda, Riffraff, Rattas, Puck, Indiana, Blob, Mephistopheles, Basil, River, - run free little ones

ska girl

Post by ska girl » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:11 pm

you could try a bit of baby food the rats love it :love: :love: ska girlxx

PrideRavyn
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by PrideRavyn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:41 pm

Baby food is not really very good for building up rats that need to put on weight - they love the taste of it but in terms of nutrition it actually provides very little for rats - being built for human babies which grow much slower than rat babies and have a much slower metabolism.

It may be that he is just naturally going to be a smaller rat, or there may be an underlying health issue that is stopping him from bulking up. Either way if you want to give him foods that will help to build him up, try oily fish, chicken, egg, healthy but high fat foods such as avocado (no skin or stone though) or healthy nuts or seeds. Don't expect him to get bigger overnight though - it might take weeks or even months for him to bulk up, and if he's going to be a naturally small rat, then be careful not to end up with a small boned, fat rat instead!
Ali and the Rodden Breck!
Brecklagh Rattery - Breeding for Variegated and related markings in Russian Blue and Black

A STATEMENT regarding Melanistic Agouti and our breeding plans.