what to feed?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
jules16

what to feed?

Post by jules16 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm new to owning rats so please be gentle with me lol I've had my first ever rats for a week now and have been feeding them on pets at home nuggets and pets at home muesli in 2 separate foodbowls. I find that the nuggets are eaten up but most of the muesli is left untouched. I don't want to remove the muesli altogether and leave them with just nuggets cos I would be completely bored if I ate the same boring nugget meal everyday :lol: I have given them a little apple and some carrot, peas, etc every now and then but what is a good "complete" rat food mix to feed them? Like the reggie rat or something? I have heard about this shunanamite diet but it seems quite confusing :oops: any help much appreciated!

blackraven1975

Re: what to feed?

Post by blackraven1975 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:19 pm

I recommend buying a copy of The Scuttling Gourmet which is written by a member on here (Tabirat), I agree it can be confusing, I found it very confusing when I first started making my own mix but now I think I could probably do it blindfolded. Well, perhaps not quite :wink:
I think some of the ready made mixes are better than others but I'm afraid I can't remember which ones are OK & which ones are the Macdonald's of rat food!
Virge & the Motley Crew- 6 girls- Hyldi, Lola, Tau, Pippin & Ki and 8 boys- Lennon, Irwin, Mr. Skyfish, Snape, Professor Nebulous, Tesla, Magnum & Mushu
Also 3 dogs, 3 cats & a rabbit

vivree

Post by vivree » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:19 pm

You should definately consider a shunamite-type diet. It'll sound a bit complicated at first, but it's all worth it. My boys love the variety, I can't imagine ever feeding them prepackaged rat food ever again.

jules16

Post by jules16 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:06 pm

I've done some digging about and seen the website ratRations which looks brilliant, what would you recommend I buy from there? It is all a bit confusing!

wizzyjo

Post by wizzyjo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:43 pm

A very basic start off point for the shunamite diet would be to use 5 scoops of base food (a mixture of your nuggets and rat muesli if you need to get rid of them. You can also use high quality rabbit good such as burgess supa frutti or similar) 3 scoops of a variety of healthy cereals (cornflakes, weetabix, oats, rice cakes, ryvitas) 1 and a half scoop of herbs/vegetables/seeds (rabbit herbs such as dandelion or plantain can be bought online or from pet stores, dried vegetables are good, hemp seeds etc.) and half a scoop of protein. If you are feeding the nuggets, you wont need a lot of protein as theyre quite high in it anyways but i cant imagine thered be any harm in adding a few dried shrimps or mealworms. For the base mix, you can also use the straight base mixes from ratrations if you prefer. Theyre not processed so have nothing bad in them shop foods might do. If you feed a straights diet, you will need to add supplements such as dr squiggles, calcivet and some form of fish oils or oily fish fed once or twice a week. You may also find some other definicies in the straights such as with copper which can be supplemented with crushed copper tablets or things such as liver, blackberries, kale and sesame seeds.
Mammy to 3 beautiful boys; Peppin, Ricco and Noodle.
Rest in peace Sam and Beany. Brothers now reunited in rat heaven <3 Rest peacefully my Waldo, never forgotten.

jules16

Post by jules16 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Thank you so much wizzyjo, that's a great help! I am ordering a lot of stuff of ratRations just now, can't wait for it to arrive and mix it together and see what my girls make of it! The dried insects look revolting but I presume will go down well?! I can JUST about deal with dried mealworms so perhaps they can just have those instead lol such a huge selection on the website! And I just discovered the "show your dry mix" thread for lots of varieties. oh dear, I feel I may get carried away....!

wizzyjo

Post by wizzyjo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:12 pm

If you dont really want to deal with the dried insects then you may be better using the shrimps instead. Theyre not too bad to look at and the protein is better quality than what it is in mealworms if Im thinking correctly. You could use soya as a replacement for the insects if you would rather but you'd need to use more of the soya than you would of the insects due to the protein content. Theres lots of seeds and plants on the website which will be good for the seed part of your mix. Milk thistle is a good addition and also dried garlic or garlic powder. Echinacea is good for keeping up the immune system so is always a good one to add in to that part too. :)
Mammy to 3 beautiful boys; Peppin, Ricco and Noodle.
Rest in peace Sam and Beany. Brothers now reunited in rat heaven <3 Rest peacefully my Waldo, never forgotten.