Alpha Herbal Deluxe changed recipe

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
emmad1982

Alpha Herbal Deluxe changed recipe

Post by emmad1982 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:38 pm

I bought my usual 12.5kg bag from feedem pet supplies and lo and behold............ Alpha have changed the recipe. They have now included dried grass in the mixture. Is this ok for rats? My lot just seem to completely avoid it, which, considering (by the looks of it) most of it is now dried grass, is a really big waste. I wasnt even informed of this on the website! when I opened it and looked in, I thought I had managed to buy the wrong bag! I like Alpha Herbal, but now the grass has been added I'm considering changing. Any ideas on what's good? I was thinking about Banana brunch (I think thats what its called) and maybe adding lots of bits from rat rations.
Mum to Hepburn, Captain Jack, Toshiko, Indy, Grace, Penny, Mick, Henry, Castiel & Zachariah
< :3 )~~
:rainbow: To all my babies at the bridge. Mummy loves you and will never forget you xxx :hearts:

AlienRat

Re: Alpha Herbal Deluxe changed recipe

Post by AlienRat » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:33 pm

It changed awhile back. It is fine, but it has big grass nuts as well which made me decide to stop stocking it. I am sure it's fine but I don't think rats will be that keen on the grass nuts.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

KKC45

Post by KKC45 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:52 pm

I also bought Alpha Herbal from Feedem.. 15K sack.. It's not like it used to be.. my girls hate it now... luckily I also bought Johnson's Rupert Rat.. they love that.. The Alpha Herbal is going to my daughter for her rabbits.. Estelle had the recommendation on her rat guide for Johnson's Rupert Rat food.. so I am sooo glad that I bought a bag of that as a backup.. I am also planning to try the supa natural.. by Burgess, I think... the reviews have been good.. Rupert Rat I will order again though..

I do have very fussy girls though.. I tend to pander to their every whim.. :-)
Karelynne & the girls..

Alpha Centauri - 'Lucy'
Aquarius 'Angela' - Ansbrook 'Daphne' & Sarah'
Waiting in heaven - Epiphany 'Bluebell', 'Rosie', 'Blossom' - Alpha Centauri 'Honey', 'Misha' - Aquarius 'Angel'

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:08 pm

As Sabby says it changed a couple of years back! As a result it's no longer reccomended. Things like Harrisons (banana brunch) still are though.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Ah Beri, the actual new form, with grass and grass nuts changed around june 2010 actually. Before that, it changed but not much, they just changed the shapes, maybe a year prior to that. But the last form was apparently improved with rabbits in mind and as the product is aimed at rabbits, they really didn't care that it wasn't improved as far as rat people were concerned.

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

KKC45

Post by KKC45 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:54 pm

Yep indeed.. Alien rat is correct.. it has definitely changed this year with respect to the grasses.. not before 2010..

Harrisons banana brunch my group don't like that either.. but I think a lot of rats do like it from what I have heard..
Karelynne & the girls..

Alpha Centauri - 'Lucy'
Aquarius 'Angela' - Ansbrook 'Daphne' & Sarah'
Waiting in heaven - Epiphany 'Bluebell', 'Rosie', 'Blossom' - Alpha Centauri 'Honey', 'Misha' - Aquarius 'Angel'

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:32 pm

Informamtion at the time said the initial change was also unsuitable to rats; that's the bit i was concerning myself with :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:41 pm

It wasn't unsuitable for rats Beri, otherwise I wouldn't sold so much and I would have stopped selling it fullstop a lot sooner. Some people worried about the colouring being artificial, but it always was artificial. One batch was a bit brighter, maybe they were a bit heavy on the colouring but it was suitable for rats until last summer where they actually changed the recipe, the bags said "New and improved" and there was actual changes you could see, not shapes, but contents.

ETA even now I wouldn't actually say it's unsuitable but I think there would be more wastage, a bit like if you buy food with alfalfa pellets. WIth my rats there was always a lot of waste anyway with AH cause they never ate the flaked peas and beans...

blackraven1975

Post by blackraven1975 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:00 pm

AlienRat wrote:It wasn't unsuitable for rats Beri, otherwise I wouldn't sold so much and I would have stopped selling it fullstop a lot sooner. Some people worried about the colouring being artificial, but it always was artificial. One batch was a bit brighter, maybe they were a bit heavy on the colouring but it was suitable for rats until last summer where they actually changed the recipe, the bags said "New and improved" and there was actual changes you could see, not shapes, but contents.

ETA even now I wouldn't actually say it's unsuitable but I think there would be more wastage, a bit like if you buy food with alfalfa pellets. WIth my rats there was always a lot of waste anyway with AH cause they never ate the flaked peas and beans...
I've bought 2 bags in total, the 1st at the beginning of ths year was much more readily accepted by the rats, the 2nd bag I bought was full of the grassy stuff mentioned & also appeared to be much dustier- I had to sieve large quantities of chaff out each time I made up a mix :( not to mention the rats seemed to leave more of it
Virge & the Motley Crew- 6 girls- Hyldi, Lola, Tau, Pippin & Ki and 8 boys- Lennon, Irwin, Mr. Skyfish, Snape, Professor Nebulous, Tesla, Magnum & Mushu
Also 3 dogs, 3 cats & a rabbit

Rhona

Post by Rhona » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:11 pm

i bought it a few weeks ago and so far so good they just leave the grasses but i couldnt get any harrisons, but im really quite rubbish at making up my own mixes i worry it wont be too right for them ..
Rhona and the scunnerbug rats xx
"Experience is simply the word we give to our mistakes"

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:39 am

Just going on the advice given at the time by people I trust on rat-related things. It hardly matters now anyway :P
*~~Beri~~*

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:50 am

acapae_wolf wrote:Just going on the advice given at the time by people I trust on rat-related things. It hardly matters now anyway :P

Rattybabe

Post by Rattybabe » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:32 pm

AlienRat wrote:it has big grass nuts as well which made me decide to stop stocking it.
I had a bag recently, and it had the chopped grass, but no grass nuts.
Emma & the furries x x

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:49 pm

Rattybabe wrote:
AlienRat wrote:it has big grass nuts as well which made me decide to stop stocking it.
I had a bag recently, and it had the chopped grass, but no grass nuts.
Are you sure? They aren't like alfalfa, they are just some of the biscuits, they were a sort of not really bright colour. They should be in there because it is part of the new recipe...

ETA Hmm I just looked on their website and they seem to have changed the recipe again, without the grass nuts. How weird that they would change it constantly.