Paw Paw or Papaya?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
StormySkye

Paw Paw or Papaya?

Post by StormySkye » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:31 pm

On the safe fruits/veg A-Z list it states that Papaya is safe, but what about Paw Paw? I thought they were the same, but Mum informs me that they are slightly different. I want to add some human breakfast cereal to their dry mix and it contains dried paw paw. Also, is triticale okay for them? Thanks :)
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

acapae_wolf

Re: Paw Paw or Papaya?

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:59 am

I thought they were the same... Or at least slightly different regional names (in S. America) for closely related species.

Triticale is an engineered hybrid plant that's a cross between wheat and rye that's mainly grown for it's disease resistance rather than anything different nutritionally. But yes, also not an issue to feed them.
Eta - unless they're older, I'm not sure how phosphorous-rich it is in regards to pressure on kidneys.

I sometimes add human museli to my rats' mix (what it sounds like you're doing?), but just be aware that those with added fruit can end up really quite sugary.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

msmara

Post by msmara » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:23 am

I'm from C. America/Caribbean, we call papaya paw paw. now im confuzzed. Are they not? uh oh :roll:
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:52 pm

Oh dear, now I've confuzzled everyone :( I think I'll just assume that they're pretty much the same :)
So should I alternate between adding muesli with fruit, and just plain muesli? Or just pick the fruit out most days? Fun :lol:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:26 am

A bit of fruit can be good for variety but you don't want too much of it in there - fruit in muselis generally have a lot of sugar added to speed up the drying process. What quite a lot of people do in situations like that is to also handfeed the tasty bits to the rats, but out of the general mix box; stops one greedy one hogging it all :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:13 am

Awesome, thanks!! :)