Reggie Rat

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Daisy C-Shape Hall

Reggie Rat

Post by Daisy C-Shape Hall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Does anyone else use Reggie Rat?? Ours absoltely love it. I give them fresh things as well but should we be giving them something else too, or is this fine?
Boys: Mr. Rodie, Bandit, Pest & Smee, Sooty & Sweep
Girls: Saffron, Daisy, Poppy, Millie & Misty :dumbogirly: & Blossom

Milkies

Re: Reggie Rat

Post by Milkies » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:13 pm

I've heard that Reggie Rat is not very good, there are much better alternatives.
Many people on here get their food from ratrations and there is now a complete mix: http://www.ratrations.com/flakes-and-gr ... 5b8d63c8bd
It's great stuff, you just need to give them calcivet and dr squiggles in their water (best to do this in a separate bottle as well as their normal water) a few days a week if you feed them on straights. Depending on the age of your rats, you may need to add extra protein.

Daisy C-Shape Hall

Post by Daisy C-Shape Hall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Thank you :)

I've just been nosing on there because we bought our Hemcore from there earlier in the week and are over the moon with it. We've also bought a mother and baby mash from rat rations as one o our girls is due but we're yet to try it with her. I've noticed there's a brilliant selection of natural things to give our troop - things like garlic, dandelion leaves and rose petals. I think me and the OH might sit down and work out a mix to make up ourselves perhaps. I've had garlic powder recently recommended to sprinkle on the food.

Does anyone know why Reggie Rat isn't very good? The reason we've fed it to our lot for so long is because they love it - it wasn't until I started reading things about tailor made mixes that I've thought to question what I'm feeding them. They do always get plenty of fresh things too.

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:27 pm

I can't afford rat rations lol so I use a fruity rabbit mix - I get mine loose off the local market but you can buy a decent one in Wilkinsons or the Burgess one is good, I mix this with Wilkinsons Rat Mix and various other bits, supermarket 'value' cereals - eg cornflakes, rice crispies, oatmeal, seeds such as hemp and linseed, seaweed powder, garlic powder, fresh fruit and veggies - mainly kale as they love it, pasta, whatever is around really!
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:11 pm

The main problem with most commercial mixes is that the 'pretty coloured' bits are just that - coloured - so they contain colourants and additives. Plus the ingredients aren't always the best quality and obviously you can't vary the mix so it's quite limited.

I think Reggie Rat has been improved in recent years but personally I wouldn't use it... these are the ingredients according to one website:
Ground Whole Wheat, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Whole Corn, Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets, Flaked Corn, Whole Oats, Toasted Wheat, Ground Cereal Straw Pellets, Flaked Field Beans, Flaked Field Peas, Soybean Oil, Wheat Middlings, Salt, Vitamins & Minerals.

Now - alfalfa pellets won't be eaten by rats and neither will the straw pellets. If they did eat them they wouldn't really do much for them nutritionally. Am no expert on nutrition but it doesn't look a very appealing list... :P
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

Daisy C-Shape Hall

Post by Daisy C-Shape Hall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:16 pm

Han, those must e the black bits they leave all the time and the grain looking bits too.

So can anyone tell me with the base mixes from rat rations, if the ratties ever leave any of it? :) (I'm in the process of looking at mixing something up myself).

SpoonRat

Post by SpoonRat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:26 pm

I use Flakes and Grains 2 as part of my homemade mix and my rats don't leave anything apart from empty grain husks :) They absolutely love it and it's much closer to a natural diet for them!
Owned by rats since 2000
http://www.ratandspoon.com
The Girls: Astraea - Eos - Persephone - Bramble - Frankie - Ash - Fern - Jessica Rabbit - Wispa - Ambrosia
The Boys: Stilton - Clawson

Daisy C-Shape Hall

Post by Daisy C-Shape Hall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:31 pm

SpoonRat wrote:I use Flakes and Grains 2 as part of my homemade mix and my rats don't leave anything apart from empty grain husks :) They absolutely love it and it's much closer to a natural diet for them!
Brilliant! Thank you very very much. aw we've used Reggie Rat since we had them, I hope to see some health improvements maybe on a different diet.

so I should pick a base mix, some fruit, some veg, I'm told I can put garlic powder in small amounts in to help with respiratory (please someone correct me if this is wrong though), I need Dr. Squiggles am I right there? and is there anything else that should go in? pasta? cereal?

SpoonRat

Post by SpoonRat » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:31 pm

I don't use any fruit in my mix, I do give the odd dried cranberry as a treat though.

I feed a shunamite style diet based on the following volumes...

Around 60% base mix - you can use pellet free rabbit food (like banana brunch), base mixes from rat rations etc

15-20% human cereals - anything under 5% sugar is fine. I use weetabix, porridge oats, shredded wheat etc

10-15% seeds/herbs/veggies - linseed, hemp and pumpkin seeds are all great. I don't add any dried veggies as I feed them fresh daily but herbs such as dandelion, parsley etc are good. you can get herb mixes aimed at rabbits which are a nice addition. rat rations sell a huge range of different herbs

10% protein source - I add some soya flakes to my mix, dried fish are also a good source.

I give half strength Dr Squigges daily (just because they love the taste so I like them to have it everyday :)) And I also use Daily Rat 3 twice a week

There are other homemade diets this is just what I do and it seems to work well. There's a thread somewhere with a simple straights diet which might be of use to you!
Owned by rats since 2000
http://www.ratandspoon.com
The Girls: Astraea - Eos - Persephone - Bramble - Frankie - Ash - Fern - Jessica Rabbit - Wispa - Ambrosia
The Boys: Stilton - Clawson

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Straights-wise I can't say about ratties as sadly am ratless right now but my mice leave nothing but husks - they are on straights. :D

(( This Thread )) may help you. It's got tons of info. in it regarding the feeding of straights.

It might also interest you to know that Ratrations now do a (( Complete Kidney Friendly Mix )) and they plan to add more to their site. :wink:
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

Daisy C-Shape Hall

Post by Daisy C-Shape Hall » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 am

Thank you everyone. This has been really helpful and I will be using alot of this advice.

sjmax

Post by sjmax » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just recently joined and am waiting to get my ratties at the weekend! :D

I have kept ratties before but I was much younger and so just bought a mix like reggie rat, however this time I want to ensure I am giving them the best! I have been reading all the messages on this thread and they are really useful! I think for now I will get some of the complete mix from rat rations, and getting a supplement like daily rat 3. Does this sound good? Their complete mix seems to have everything in (as the name would suggest, but obviously this is not always the case with some brands) including garlic etc. But I was wondering if someone could explain what the straights diet means please!?

Thanks
Steph
Steph
:hearts: :girly: Betsy :dumbogirly: Nippa :baby: Smudge

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:48 am

Ok I doubt you wanted to know all this but I tend to talk far too much, so here’s a bit of an answer along with a recent history lesson in terms of rat food lol (apologies I am known for waffeling)

Straights is a term for minimally processed whole grains. These generally are close to there natural state complete with husks etc, though they may have been rolled to break the husk a little and make them easier to get into. A less pure description also covers those that have also been heated and squished (micronised or flaked grains) again as long as they are whole. This term is heavily used in the horse and agricultural feed industries.

A straights based diet is a term we use to describe a rat diet which has a large proportion of straight grains in it. This type of diet has been getting increasingly popular over the last few years. In the past there have been a lot of phases the rat food world has gone through, ranging from rabbit and hamster food, to the first rat mixes (which were dire) to people toying with pelleted food (which I personally hate) and so on. Then came the advent of the home made mix, as nothing commercially available seemed to do everything many people wanted it to. Back then it was more common to use a rabbit food base and add bits and bobs to it to create a nice rounded mix, this originally came from a lady over in the states but a UK version was developed by Alison Campbell (tabirat on here) and picked up the name the Shunamite diet after her rattery. This was fine in principle but it relied on finding a good quality rabbit food, and unfortunately those that were good for rats were not the best for rabbits, so it became hard to find. Plus there was still a lot of less than ideal ingredients, hence the gradual development to first mixing your own straights base for your mix (to replace the rabbit food) which Alison again took up and managed to make another simple to follow guide for a straights based Shunamite mix. Then we started getting help from a parrot food company that I may have dragged into all of this (as they sold small amounts of straight grains) who developed a rat food wing and soon we had ready mixed bases and now the first complete mix for adults (to be followed by a couple others for different age groups).

Ok boring bit over. The rat rations complete mix is complete. It covers everything you might want to see in there as well as garlic and it’s also kidney friendly unlike most of the rat mixes out there. It’s a good starting point for everyone and a nice safe bet for those who don’t want to mix there own. You do need to feed vitamin supplements alongside, as commercial mixes are all sprayed with this in manufacture and rat rations mix is just mixed up from natural ingredients. To me it’s actually a commercially available mix I would use, if I didn’t enjoy mixing my own so much (and to be fair I like to change mine a fair bit too), anyone whose
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Woody

Post by Woody » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:47 am

Daisy C-Shape Hall wrote:Does anyone know why Reggie Rat isn't very good? The reason we've fed it to our lot for so long is because they love it - it wasn't until I started reading things about tailor made mixes that I've thought to question what I'm feeding them. They do always get plenty of fresh things too.
If they love it, is there some reason you want to move away from it? Or is just that other people feed other things?
Daisy C-Shape Hall wrote:Thank you very very much. aw we've used Reggie Rat since we had them, I hope to see some health improvements maybe on a different diet.
Do they have a problem with their health at the moment? I can certainly see moving away from a food that your rats like if they have health problems is a good idea, if you feel that another food can increase their health.
People used to not like reggie rat as it wasn't that good, but it is a lot better now.
Hanlou wrote:Am no expert on nutrition but it doesn't look a very appealing list... :P
Not to me either, but I don't like grains! However, I would be interested in a reason why it doesn't appear to be a good list? Is there something missing from that, or something that shouldn't be there? I assume the company making it have done research into the safety and benifits of what they are feeding?
Hot and righteous :D

The views expressed in my posts are not related or endorsed by any company or organisation. In fact, often, they aren't even endorsed by me!

Lloy-D2788

Post by Lloy-D2788 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Woody wrote:
Daisy C-Shape Hall wrote:Thank you very very much. aw we've used Reggie Rat since we had them, I hope to see some health improvements maybe on a different diet.
Do they have a problem with their health at the moment? I can certainly see moving away from a food that your rats like if they have health problems is a good idea, if you feel that another food can increase their health.
You can go from one state of good health to an improved state, for instance if condition were to improve I would consider that an improvement.
Woody wrote:People used to not like reggie rat as it wasn't that good, but it is a lot better now.
Going from 'not that good' to 'a lot better' isn't saying much though is it? Is it a good feed now?
Woody wrote:
Hanlou wrote:Am no expert on nutrition but it doesn't look a very appealing list... :P
Not to me either, but I don't like grains! However, I would be interested in a reason why it doesn't appear to be a good list? Is there something missing from that, or something that shouldn't be there? I assume the company making it have done research into the safety and benifits of what they are feeding?
If you look at the ingredients though two of them won't be eaten at all (Ground Cereal Straw Pellets & Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets) and one is basically the stuff they sweep off the floor after the human grade stuff has been taken from it (Wheat Middlings), after that you are faced with the question of quality of all the other components. Wheat Middlings, Ground Cereal Straw Pellets, Dehydrated Alfalfa Pellets & Soybean Meal (also a protein source) are all considered fillers in the animal feed industry (due to them being so cheap) and so it doesn't really inspire much confidence in the quality of the rest of its components. The one thing I do like is that it is vegetarian, because commercial mixes often have very low quality meat components which is perhaps most damaging in terms of health effects.

Beyond that the list is fairly limited in my opinion, and from an enrichment point of view I know that variety is most definitely the spice of life for rats. There is absolutely nothing I love more than a rat digging for it's food, you can literally see them discarding the bits they aren't too fussed about (but will eat) as they search for their preferred ingredients of the mix and I have no doubt that variety adds to this enrichment immeasurably.
Lloyd x

Eximius Rats - 'Excellence is a fine pursuit'
North of England Rat Society - Promoting excellence in the care and breeding of fancy rats