RR Soft food mash

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Amez&Missy_Moo

RR Soft food mash

Post by Amez&Missy_Moo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Hello all,
Just a question really.

Our old boy tubby Reeves is now showing his age and is now doddering around, I think it's the onset of hld. He stopped being able to eat his dry mix properly about 2 weeks ago and has lost a bit of weight so I have been soaking his dry (taking out the kibble) and substituting the kibble with nature diet lite wet dog food and baby food with the odd day incl. a small portion of EMP. I know this isn't a very good diet for him long term, so I'm food shopping for him tonight.
I havent been on the forums since november, but I saw some posts about RR tonight and thought I would have a look and see what was available. Reeves appetite is still healthy although he cannot hold his food any more bless him :(

I guess I was just wondering if anyone else uses this ration and what their opinions of it is? I think I'm going to buy a 500g bag of it, it sounds delicious for him. I think I may still give him a small chunk of wet dog food with it as well as adding senior-aid to his diet.

Kind regards.
Solidus, Ocelot, RC, Zelda, Jaheira, Big Boss, Colonel, Otacon, Drebin, Mei Ling, Meryl, Sunny
Sleep tight Missy, Mortimer, Akiba, Reeves - we miss you lots xx

Daisy C-Shape Hall

Re: RR Soft food mash

Post by Daisy C-Shape Hall » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 am

I bought the mother & baby soft food mash, the one you cover with hot water and wait to cool and it makes a soft food. It arrived and there's some very nutritious things in it :) I think it's good quality. I'd say try it. I liked the fact that on the RR site it even said the contents of it and the nutritional content too.
Boys: Mr. Rodie, Bandit, Pest & Smee, Sooty & Sweep
Girls: Saffron, Daisy, Poppy, Millie & Misty :dumbogirly: & Blossom

gilly

Post by gilly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:44 am

Merlins menu makes one too - and its cheaper! :wink:
With love, Andrea, Jasper, Huxley and Marley. RIP Milo, Merlin, Bob, Jim, Red, Murphy, Riley, Quil. At the bridge xx

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:56 pm

The RR soft food mash is very similar to what I mix up for my old lads (same principle, a balanced diet in the same way my normal mix is based on Shunamite/straights principles). I think most of the ingredients are the same too. I have found it goes down very well with my elderly boys and is really useful in keeping weight on them when they go into that period of decline. I believe it extends lifespan quite a bit longer than they would otherwise manage.

I have also used natures menu light as an occasional treat and some of merlins menu’s soakable mixes, again as a bit of a break from the norm. Old rats can often get kidney failure which makes them feel a little nauseous, which can put them off there food a bit. By trying to vary it a little bit you can revive interest when there getting a bit bored and keep them eating.

I would also recommend getting some senior aid or senilife and some nutrical to help him. Senioraid/senilife adds in vits and minerals which can really give oldies a boost and nutrical is good at helping put weight on skinny rats. For future reference too if he starts loosing weight again on that diet try souping it up with some soya milk or coconut cream, you could even mix a blob of baby food in for a treat, it’s very flexible.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

AlienRat

Post by AlienRat » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Jemma wrote:I would also recommend getting some senior aid or senilife and some nutrical to help him. Senioraid/senilife adds in vits and minerals which can really give oldies a boost and nutrical is good at helping put weight on skinny rats.
Jemma, I noticed you mention senior aid or senilife as if they were interchangeable and do the same job and I wanted to clarify for the OP that they work completely differently. Senior Aid is a vitamin and mineral supplement with added amino acids which offers support to the physical decline of the body, by supporting joint health and that sort of thing. Senilife is a supplement aimed at supporting and protecting cognitive function in ageing animals. Aktivait is another similar product. When cognitive decline is more advanced, then my vets usually recommend we use Vivitonin.
Sabby, RitaVonCheese, Jamie, Ethylene, Victor, Hector, Boris, Gunther

RIP: KimoCandyBenjaminNutbagChinaJeremiahChikinCletusMansonDieterCallistaFifiAlfieAliceGeorgeEvaJemimaPEPoxyAmaraTrixiSpookBuddhaMayaBuboDomdom BuffyWillowJeremy.II MicrobeJeremy

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 pm

Old rats can often get kidney failure which makes them feel a little nauseous, which can put them off there food a bit.
This type of nausea is caused by uraemia. Uraemia is a toxic condition that will eventually be fatal if left, it is a build up of toxic waste products in the blood stream which causes organ damage. Ipakitine prevents this condition.
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Amez&Missy_Moo

Post by Amez&Missy_Moo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:13 pm

Daisy - I agree, it did look good quality and I too was impressed by the breakdown of contents given on the website. The mash arrived today. I have topped it with olive oil for tonight, he seems quite taken with it already.

Gilly - I knew there was another place I wanted to look on but I couldn't remember all the sites I've previously looked on. Thank you for the reminder! :wink: Will defo be looking into the soakable mixes.

Jemma - Thank you. It does seem to be going down quite well with Reeves tonight. The moment I placed it into his cage I could see his whiskers twitching from inside his house box and a few seconds later he was on his way to eating it! At the moment Reeves doesn't seem to be showing any signs of feeling nauseous which is good, he still has quite a good appetite going really considering. I am ordering some senior aid for him too and I will keep the soya milk in mind for future reference like you say. I haven't given him any dog food or baby food tonight, I think this new batch will be a welcoming change tonight.

Sabby - Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will be ordering the senior aid shortly.

Raz - Thanks for letting me know about uraemia, will keep an eye on him.

Kind Regards.
Solidus, Ocelot, RC, Zelda, Jaheira, Big Boss, Colonel, Otacon, Drebin, Mei Ling, Meryl, Sunny

Amez&Missy_Moo

Post by Amez&Missy_Moo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:02 pm

Apologies Vic, I dono why I put Raz :s
Reeves is booked into the vets on Friday evening as I want him to be checked over.

Ratgirl@RatRitz

Post by Ratgirl@RatRitz » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:23 am

Amez&Missy_Moo wrote:Apologies Vic, I dono why I put Raz
:lol: no worries!
Reeves is booked into the vets on Friday evening as I want him to be checked over.
Good luck!
Vic - Rat Ritz Ringleader!
Contact - vic @ rathealth.co.uk
Rat Ritz - info & resident photos
Rat Health - The no-nonsense resource for rat health issues!

Amez&Missy_Moo

Post by Amez&Missy_Moo » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Evening

Reeves has been to see the vet who gave him a thorough check up.
The vet listened to his heart, mentioning it sounded healthy and strong; he checked his bum for a response (:sickrat:) with the end of a thermometer and was happy there wasn't anything wrong there; he scooped his back end up to see the strength in his front paws and said he still had good power in them and then he watched him walk around and observed his behaviour. The vet basically said if Reeves had a mini set of wheels on his back end he would probably be right as rain.
The vet did say he thinks there is some form of degenerative osteoarthritis going on, with his right leg and the base of his spine (which we had began to notice already).

The vet has put Reeves on a 2 week course of Loxicom. We are taking him back in a fortnight to review the treatment.

The soft food mash is going down alright btw, he was a bit funny with it at first, but adding cous cous and olive oil to it is helping I think.

Kind Regards.