first time rat mix advice

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
funnykooky

first time rat mix advice

Post by funnykooky » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:37 pm

hi guys
after feeding my rats of varying ages from 8weeks-14 months shop bought nuggets (suparat) along with fruit veg and other nice goodies,im now thinking of making my own,but i would need a mix that would suit all ages of rats( 9 of them in total 5 girlies 4 boys) have looked at rat rations mixes but they dont have a specific one one suitable for all ages.can anyone help and what sort of quantities would i need for 9 rats for say a week worth of mix? im a bit of a dimwit when it comes to percentages of this and that lol so please keep it simple :rollred: :rollred: its the first time ive tried making my own mix thanks for any help /advice guys :lol:

Snippet

Re: first time rat mix advice

Post by Snippet » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:47 pm

I think the rat rations mix is suitable for adult rats, so you can feed that and supplement the babies with high protein meals such as scrammbled eggs.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Jemma

Re: first time rat mix advice

Post by Jemma » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 am

There are several complete mixes now. I would say go for the adult complete mix (no 7) and then take your youngsters out and top them up with fresh protein once or twice a day up to about 8 weeks, then drop it down to a few times a week as they grow up. This gives you good flexibility.

In terms of how much you need, it does depend a lot on the rats. I find that my adult bucks need about 20g of a similar mix a day to stay ‘about right’. That would mean 5Kg would last you about a month, which is probably a good length of time to see if it suits your rats.

It’s important to note though you’ll also need to feed vitamin D, copper and calcium supplements to your rats alongside this. I find that using calcivet and daily essentials in their water 2-3 days a week works best for me.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June