food for young rats

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
luna_star

food for young rats

Post by luna_star » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:11 pm

hi ive been trying to work out what foods i can give my baby rats other then their normal mix. they age between 9 weeks and 17 weeks. i've read what you can feed rats but nowhere says how old they should be. i've got 2 males and 2 females (in seperate cages). and i'm getting 2 more baby females next week from a breeder this time. any advice would be greatfully appreciated x
4 girls: Luna, Star, Angel, Storm
3 boys: Cosmo, comet and orbit
:halo: :rainbow: Baby Boy Shadow and Baby girl Ebony :rainbow: :halo:

princesslea

Re: food for young rats

Post by princesslea » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:27 pm

I've got 4 babies at the mo and am currently feeding them a dry mix (which I make up myself) and lots of green leafy veg such as Kale, cabbage and spring greens. I also feed them extra protein whilst there in this growing period in the form of dog kibble (James Wellbeloved) wet dog food (naturesdiet) or chickpeas. I also supplement their diet with vitamins too. As they get to about 3 months I'll reduce the amount of fresh food and protein I'm currently giving them.

Would love to see piccys of your babies :D
Shelley & the Rugrats
Dumbo boys - Marley, Alfie, Spider Rat, Blondie (3 x hooded, 1 x Himalayan)
Girlies - Ellie, Izzie, Star, Indie, Missy (2 x Russian Blue Irish, 1 x Essex, 1 Siamese Essex 1 x Black Berkshire)

luna_star

Post by luna_star » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:35 pm

hi thanks for the advice i will certainly add some photos tomorrow. i did have trouble with sexing storm though..ended up having to take him to the vet..and even still the vet is not 100% sure he is a male. he has no testicles yet. i got him from a pet shop and they said he was 8 weeks and cosmo was 10 weeks..cosmo is a lot bigger than storm. and the vet said storm looks very young. younger than 8 weeks. but he is lovely either way. any more advice would be greatfully appreciated. thanks again

Admin Aide note: Pictures and subsequent discussion has been split to this thread to avoid the thread going off topic
Last edited by Jemma on Tue May 03, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved pictures

SammyJoP

food for young rats

Post by SammyJoP » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:23 am

Check for nipples - only does have nipples :)
Gladis :dumbogirly: Geraldine :dumbogirly: Hex :girly: Treacle :dumbogirly: Muffin :dumbogirly: Brownie :dumbogirly:
Delilah and Tallulah the spiny meece and Sasha and Nico the doggles :hearts:

RIP Jinx :halo: & all my past pets

Stephhh_xo

Post by Stephhh_xo » Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Im feeding my babies wet dog food for extra protein, can they keep eating this all their life or should I stop feeding it them when they get to a certain age?
Love my babies Milton and Murphy :)

R.I.P Dylan , Doug , Chip and Ben

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue May 03, 2011 6:39 pm

It depends on the protien content, generally speaking though if you keep feeding it for too long your rats are likley to become a little (or a lot) on the fat side. It's really easy to digest so they don't need to eat much to get the nutrition they need from it.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

caanjast

Post by caanjast » Wed May 04, 2011 9:30 pm

hello!
i also have young rats, 2 females, and i was wondering how often i should feed them fresh foods, like veg and fruit etc. should it be every day? just didnt want to over do it!
thanks!

luna_star

Post by luna_star » Sat May 14, 2011 4:05 pm

i found out that storm is a female the other day. when i was cleaning the boys cage out i found 2 baby rats. so much for a professional vet!!i said all along storm was a girl. i need a bit of feeding advice for her now....my vet said she was very young when i got her. i was told she was 8 weeks old. but i thought she was about 4/5 weeks old. judging by some pictures of baby rats that i found online. i got her just under 4 weeks ago now. i've been reading up on alot of info but im getting confused. i'm feeding her her normal mix, with fresh pasta, broccoli and califlour. i read that oatmeal mixed with soya milk is good for her. and some people say kitten food. but any advice would be appreciated. i did only find 2 babies. no signs of any more. as shes small i presume she didnt have loads or the others were stillborn. i managed to sex them yesterday. ones a boy and ones a girl. the girl is called ebony and the boys called shadow. both going to be the same colour as storm i think. any way sorry for going on..just need some more advice
thanks stacey and her 7 rats

daffee

Post by daffee » Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 pm

This is a good article on feeding lactating rats and weaning foods. :luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

luna_star

Post by luna_star » Sat May 14, 2011 5:15 pm

thanks ever so much daffee. thats alot of help. at the moment shes made her nest in one of those tunnel tubes. the ones that are made of cardboard. but i cant see the babies to keep an eye on her and them. should i move it out? i just dont want to keep taking them out of the tube
thanks stacey