Meat?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Lizzie47

Meat?

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:08 am

Due to me being vegetarian Honey and Treasure don't get a lot of meat, and I am a bit concerned about this. I give them as much as I can, they get fish and tuna from when my family have it, and I give them chicken if I get my mum to buy some for them. They had a fair bit around christmas from what I brought home for them from various meals! Just wondering, what meat do you give your rats and how often? :love:
:hearts: xxx Honey and Treasure xxx :dumbogirly:

Rhi01

Re: Meat?

Post by Rhi01 » Sun May 08, 2011 9:14 am

To be fair thinking on it I don't think my lot get that much meat. They tend to have meat about once a week if there is anything left from dinner or if I've bought them something specifically. If I don't have anything or have eat my dinner (how selfish of me :lol: ) then I have tins of sardines in tomato sauce that I can give them.
I normally give things like liver, chicken bones/breast, rib bones, pork, steak, beef, sea food paiella... Basically anything that I eat they get a bit of.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

daffee

Post by daffee » Sun May 08, 2011 9:52 am

Rats don't need to eat meat, the important thing is they get a balanced diet. What do you feed them as a dry mix?
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun May 08, 2011 10:00 am

I wouldn't worry about it unless there's no complete form of protein in their dry mix. Having meat itself isn't essential, having decent protein amounts is - same as people really :)

On a personal level I'm veggie, but I do maintain that my rats aren't. And I do about the same as you! They get something proteiny about once every 7-10 days. Normally this is either egg or tinned fish (in fresh water or tomato, brine and oil are less good for rats), sometimes it is wet dog food. And when my family are having meat on bones the rats get the bones to gnaw the marrow out of/ last little bits of meat attached. The only thing I tend to buy fresh specifically for them is liver occasionally - mine aren't on a commercial diet and it's high in copper so a good thing to feed. That's not very often though as it's :sickrat:

So I totally understand the wanting to give them animal protein, but it sounds like you're sorted with a happy medium :D
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on