Rat rations

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
emms110

Rat rations

Post by emms110 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:35 am

I'm looking to introduce rat rations complete mix no7 to my boys but it says you have to add either calivet or calciform to their diet. Sorry if I'm just being stupid but I thought since it says it's a complete mix that you wouldn't have to add anything to it. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with adding this I just want to make sure so I don't get it wrong. Also is this what I should be feeding them or are there better feeds out there? Thanks my ratty friends :love:
Bartholomew :teen: Merlin :teen:

Jemma

Re: Rat rations

Post by Jemma » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:59 am

It’s complete in that you don’t have to mix it with any other food to give them a balanced diet but it does still need supplementing with certain vitamins and minerals as it’s . I would suggest daily essentials 1 and calcivet in their water 2-3 times a week as the easiest way.

If you want you can spice up mix number 7 a bit with a small amount of rabbit herbs, or alternate with some of the other adult complete mixes like numbers 10 and 11, I do personally rate all those as good sound diets. I feed Number 7 with some extra’s (to satisfy my need for variety and getting to play with my own food) and will probably try some 10 and 11 when I next order for variety.

Feeding fresh veg alongside is also a good idea, just in terms of the health boosting compounds found in raw veg.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

emms110

Post by emms110 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks Jemma, I can always rely on you :D

redrach

Post by redrach » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:07 am

I don't use the calvicat stuff but i do recommend daily essentials. Mine get 60-80mls a day (that's 20mls each for boys and girls) and i noticed a difference in my dirty scruffy boys straight away. I also suppliment the no7 mix with fruit, veg, protein such as chicken bones or eggs (protein only once a week) and otther things from rat rations like seaweed and cuttlebones.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

emms110

Post by emms110 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks, is it the Dr Squiggles one that your speaking about? Is it a powder? I guess it is cheapest when you buy in larger quantities.

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:52 am

redrach wrote:I don't use the calvicat stuff but i do recommend daily essentials. Mine get 60-80mls a day (that's 20mls each for boys and girls) and i noticed a difference in my dirty scruffy boys straight away. I also suppliment the no7 mix with fruit, veg, protein such as chicken bones or eggs (protein only once a week) and otther things from rat rations like seaweed and cuttlebones.
I would be very cautious about not using a calcium suppliment with a straights based mix, especially if you have youngsters. It can be done but it is harder and takes some balancing. Also worth noting that the calcivet also includes extra vit d so can help with that. Saying that most rats aren't nuts about the flavour but if you give it with daily essentials they normally drink well.

Daily essentials is cheaper if you buy the big tub, lasts for ages for a small number of rats too.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

redrach

Post by redrach » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Yeah, daily essentials is dr squig. And it comes in a powder.i only ever get the 100gs 'cause i can't afford the big ones when i have to get so many other things lol but if you can,i'd go for the bigger one, prob better value in the long run.
I think if you don't use calvicat for calcium, you can use other things such as cuttlebones which are great for them to chew on, and some other things.but i think jemma is far more educated on diets and if you can afford the calvicat too i'd go for it, just to be sure.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

philosophyfox

Post by philosophyfox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm

Mine hate the taste of Calcivet, so I use calcium tablets which they will eat like yoggies :sickrat: They also have chicken bones, but I am thinking about trying the Daily 3 supplement.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan