How much food and vits for kittens?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Hatty

How much food and vits for kittens?

Post by Hatty » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:28 pm

First rats coming home in a couple of weeks - 3 girls around 7/8 weeks old. After spending ages being completely confuddled about feeding :o I think I'm going to start on a mix from rat rations for a start and know I will need to give them extra vits with this. I have no idea on quantities to order though - how much will they actually eat per day, I presume it depends on weight but have no idea how much the average 7 week old female kitten weighs? And what are the doses for Calcivet and Dr Squiggles? Don't want to order smallest size of these and find they will only last a week.

Any advice very much appreciated! :)

Thanks
Hatty
newbie rat owner
Jellybean & Candyfloss

redrach

Re: How much food and vits for kittens?

Post by redrach » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:53 pm

I give all my rats, male and female, of various ages, 20mls of dr squig a day as well as water, but i think a lot of people only give it once or twice a week. My youngest have been getting it since weaned at 4 weeks. Going by 20mls a day each, 100g of it last my 7 ratties a month or so. I just put one level scoop in a 250ml water bottle and keep it in the fridge and fill their bottles from that each day.
I have no idea about calvicat.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

redrach

Post by redrach » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Meant to say about food too.. I'd start filling the bowl half way and feeding 3 times a day. If you go back and the bowl is empty try more each time until you get the right amount. I do enough that they tend to just leave a few scraps in the bowl. Then in a few weeks i'd go down to a little more food, but twice a day. But really, you could try two meals at the start. Just make sure the bowls aren't empty at that age as they are growing so much, then as they get older their weight will ibcrease a lot less. My youngest are 4.5 months and the girl still puts on 2-5 grams a week (boys 10+g).
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:36 pm

I use 1 ml of calcivet per bottle (i have 2) 1 to 2 days a week for adults and 5 to 6 days a week for kits, at this dilution they should drink enough for them. In terms of daily essentials (also called Dr squiggles) mine get 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoons to a 150 ml bottle every day as kits and between every day and the number of days I feed calcivet for adults. This probably doesn't mean much but going for a 200g tub of daily essentials and a 100ml bottle of calcivet is a good place to start with 3 rats.

Food wise.kittens benefit from regular wet food,something like puppy food, mackrel in tomato sauce, cooked chicken, eggs and eggy rice ate good places to start. For the first week or two offering them it every day, then dropping to every other dayand then once or twice a week as they get to 13 weeks is an easy way to do it.

Dry wise try bowl feeding at first, pop in about 20 g per rat, then look at how much is left and feed less, until there's nothing left when you check. Then try scattering it around there cage floor to make them look for it. It helps keep them happy and active all day. Remember as they grow you'll need to up the dry mix. Eventually you want to aim to be feeding enough to keep them slim and healthy. Also trying to leave them a time when there's virtually no food left for them to find in the cage. This will be once they grow up though.

Also if your rats ever look like they have long dull coats try feeding them an extra wet meal that's high in protien and add a few drops of oil in there too.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Jemma wrote:I use 1 ml of calcivet per bottle (i have 2) 1 to 2 days a week for adults and 5 to 6 days a week for kits, at this dilution they should drink enough for them. In terms of daily essentials (also called Dr squiggles) mine get 1/2 to 1/4 teaspoons to a 150 ml bottle every day as kits and between every day and the number of days I feed calcivet for adults. This probably doesn't mean much but going for a 200g tub of daily essentials and a 100ml bottle of calcivet is a good place to start with 3 rats.
Jemma can I ask what size bottle you use putting 1ml of Calcivet in? :D
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:01 am

The 150ml ones I use for daily essentials too
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm

Jemma wrote:The 150ml ones I use for daily essentials too
Thank you! :D xx
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx