scatter feeding?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
redrach

scatter feeding?

Post by redrach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:42 am

I'd like to try scatter feeding to encourage my fatties to do more work for their food.
However, I have some concerns about it.
My cage is a Furet Plus and I have 4 boys so it's a little cramped at times and one struggles to get about. They also seem to just wee ALL OVER the whole floor of the cage, so by the end of the week the finacard is starting to get soppy. I'd therefore not want to scatter feed just on the floor.
My other concern then is getting something big enough that I can put in for a few hours when they get fed that they can all dig through to get food without any fights.
What do other people use? perhaps another litter tray (or would that confuse them?) or a tupperware lunchbox thing?
Also, do people scatter feed dry and fresh foods? Or just dry mix?
Thanks.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

charlie4591

Re: scatter feeding?

Post by charlie4591 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 am

if your ratties wee all over the substrate then a litter tray hung up with substrate in is a good idea. I scatter feed dry food but fresh food tends to get hung in veggie baskets, toilet roll tubes, hidden in egg cartons etc and sloppy food gets put in a bowl. I find there's less mess if you keep scatter feeding for the dry mix.
:love: Owned by my 8 beautiful girlies, Isis, Artemis, Venus, Athena, Freya, Parvati, Sonea and Trinity :love: 3 beautiful baby boys, Akkarin, Ceryni and Neo :love:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:44 am

I use cat litter trays instead of shelves, the wilko's large ones fit really well accross jenny sized cages, though there not bad for my SRS either. Just use a hot scewer to poke holes in each corner and use wire or key rings (i have some nice mini lobster grip things i use) and fill them full or substrate. They really expand the area you scatter feed in and doing it on multiple levels keeps them moving around. You can also use deep tupperware boxes as digging boxes, though that can take up a fair bit of cage space. Here's some pics of mine

You can see the cat litter tray at the front and the digging box at the back. There's also a second cat litter tray hung up near the top. I scatter feed in all of those as well as the floor of my cage (it's a pretty easy set up to get around though as i had HLD oldies in there too)
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

redrach

Post by redrach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks guys.
I had a spare little basket thing, you know the ones people use as little bed areas stuffed with shredded paper?
So i've cleaned the cage out today and put that in filled with finacard and shredded paper and then put 40g of food.
Is it right they should be having 20g each a day? They had maybe 10-20g this morning though they didn't eat it all. And I thought I shouldn't put it all in at once, so I'll give 20g or so tonight. How often do you normally feed then? Do you just put it all in at once, or throughout the day?
There's 4 in the cage btw, not sure if I mentioned that.
So far they seem happy enough. It's just on the bottom of the cage it has reasonably high sides so they have to climb into it.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

redrach

Post by redrach » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Also, 40g so far seems a good bit less than what they were getting :rollred:
Is it okay to reduce the amount this suddenly?
Rachael.