Feeding live insects?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
msmara

Re: Feeding live insects?

Post by msmara » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:59 am

I bought mealworms for my boys but then I felt really bad & started feeding the mealworms. :oops: My OH had to give them away :(
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Forbes

Post by Forbes » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:47 pm

we bought our boys like meal worms as they love the dried ones. the only problem we had was montana when he first grabbed one didnt know it was alive and when it moved he ran and hid. was soo funny. :lol:

Mamahase

Post by Mamahase » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:42 am

My girlies loved mealworms! My only problem with it was that the first time I gave it to Lily, she grabbed the worm, hopped on to her favorite dining spot (my shoulder), and proceeded to drop it down my top :roll:

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Mamahase wrote:My girlies loved mealworms! My only problem with it was that the first time I gave it to Lily, she grabbed the worm, hopped on to her favorite dining spot (my shoulder), and proceeded to drop it down my top :roll:
*squirms*
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

cantfink

Post by cantfink » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:19 pm

I bought some yesterday, but they only had giant meal worms :o

The girls loved them! but there so big they could only have one each!
Ratty Girls: Ada, Grace, Motorway and Terror.

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:12 pm

cantfink wrote:I bought some yesterday, but they only had giant meal worms :o

The girls loved them! but there so big they could only have one each!
The rats at college used to get giant meal worms, and they loved them. They would also get wax worms, but they're pretty fatty and only fed as a treat.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:01 pm

Guys,

Fargo's three this month and losing alot of weight. And I suddenly thought, is it ok to give him the live insects as his kidneys are probs in a bad way and they are probably very high in rotein. But I also thought well they are pretty fatty, and he could do with a good boosting in healthy fatty stuff instead of stuff we normally eat. And I think he's too old to concentrate on ristricting his diet, I'd rather he had a very happy week enjoying eating what he loves than two extra months of being miserable and eating stuff he hates, Like nutrical. YES, can you belive it? He HATES Nutrical. :roll:

What do you guys think?
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

Flox

Post by Flox » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:34 pm

vixen184 wrote:And it would save the crickets going to waste, I have about 3 sizes of cricket and only 6 tarantulas which I feed once a week so the crickets often die of boredom.
I tried crickets for the crested geckos a few times, but since they only eat 6-7 out of a box of hundreds (and they grew too big to use before I could feed more than a couple of times), there were a lot left over. I think they just ate each other until there was one terrifying, giant cricket left which me and my boyfriend were too scared to deal with.

We don't buy crickets any more.

jane89

Post by jane89 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:57 pm

i have lots of tubs of different insects for the phibs (currently: crickets, locusts, meal worms, morio worms - aka the big mealworm things - and wax worms), i keep trying the rattys with them but they just kill them, leave them and look at me with 'look mum we killed the nasty bug thing now give us yoggie drops' written all over there faces :lol: there the same with spiders, if one drops into there cage i find its headless body come clean out day. except for the hidious day when they'd managed to corner a massive house spider on top of there play box (and so couldnt get at it) and i didnt realise till i cleaned out and it shot towards me. not a good thing to happen to a spider phobic person. fortunatly eddie had one of her 'couching tiger, hidden ratty' moments and cought it before it got to me :o
proud mum to the three amigos: sasha, eddie and patsy. and in memory of maybelle: you may be gone but your chew marks on my bed still remain. rip little one

i may not be a rat expert, but please feel free to PM me for ferret advice!