helping a chubby rat lose weight... suggestions?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
marilyn

helping a chubby rat lose weight... suggestions?

Post by marilyn » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:27 am

Not sure where to begin with this lol so I'll just be blunt.
One of my ratties is much larger than the other. Now this is probably normal but for fancy rats both are quite small, especially george who is very very delicate and petit to the point where we actually asked the vet to check his gender (he's a boy who...doesn't seem to want us to know he is).
But it is George's brother and cage leader, Rufus who seems to have put on a lot of weight recently!
Both went on the Shunamite diet as soon as they moved in and whilst George has worked himself from being relatively slim to average weight (for his petit frame) on the diet, Rufus seems to have grown too wide.
He can be quite slovenly at times- in fact he has earned the nickname mr sloth- yet when out and about he leaps across the room and wrestles with his brother so in terms of physical fitness he is doing ok. I've been cutting back on the treats and monitoring them during meal times to see if Rufy has been taking too much but he has been sharing well. A friend of mine said that perhaps it is the Shunamite diet causing him to put on weight and I wondered if there were other varied diets for rats out there?
And if anyone else has had a rattie with a bit of a weight issue, what advice do you have?
Marilyn
Arthur (2008-2010) George (2010-2011) Rufus the Ralphous is most likely cuddling me now so he says hello :)

Jemma

Re: helping a chubby rat lose weight... suggestions?

Post by Jemma » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:59 am

What is you SD diet made up of. One of the first things I would suggest is cutting the amount you feed down a fair bit, a third to a quarter less is normally a good start. Then scatter that amount over the cage floor, this will make sure George can still find pleanty of food.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

marilyn

Post by marilyn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:18 am

I use a muesli base, oats, store's own brand cereak- usually cornflakes- and a few pets at home rat nuggets to supplement any extra protein or vitamin intake needed. This is all mixed together in the bowl. They're also fed cherry tomatoe cut up and dry pasta.
Every other day they'll have peas or broccoli and cauliflower, sometimes a bit of carrot but they tend to go off that for certain periods.
Their food bowl is an average sized ceramic 'rat' bowl which they oftend dig in to search for food. Their bowl is usually pratically empty by feeding time the next day so they aren't selective feeders.
I shall definately try the food scattering as forraging wider will help Rufy burn more calories and will entertain George :D
Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated
Marilyn
Arthur (2008-2010) George (2010-2011) Rufus the Ralphous is most likely cuddling me now so he says hello :)

herro

Post by herro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 pm

not sure if you can find oxbow in your parts, but their rat mix is amazing, especially for keeping the weight down while providing top nutrition.