oats in husks...

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
lechien

oats in husks...

Post by lechien » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:54 pm

i'm PEELING them, one-by-one, right now, because my rats just don't eat them! :angry:

the eat everything else except for these. they eat rice in husks, but not oats. i always added the leftover from the day before to the day's mix for them to finish, but in the end it's just becoming half of the mix is oats and they are still refusing to eat them, so finally i started peeling! i still have a huge bag of it left... i could give them to the birds outside, but what a waste... i wonder if it's just they are too lazy to peel them? they are pretty tight indeed. anyone else give them to your rats? do they like it?

myzoo

Re: oats in husks...

Post by myzoo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:59 pm

lechien wrote:i'm PEELING them, one-by-one, right now, because my rats just don't eat them! :angry:

the eat everything else except for these. they eat rice in husks, but not oats. i always added the leftover from the day before to the day's mix for them to finish, but in the end it's just becoming half of the mix is oats and they are still refusing to eat them, so finally i started peeling! i still have a huge bag of it left... i could give them to the birds outside, but what a waste... i wonder if it's just they are too lazy to peel them? they are pretty tight indeed. anyone else give them to your rats? do they like it?
:lol: dont worry your not alone mine usualy end up stuck in the carpet but you wouldnt catch me sitting peeling a whole bag of them ive peeled a few before just to see what they did and they ate them peeled. lol the fussy blighters i think they just like watching us slave over them :lol:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I used to give bruised oats, these have the husks cracked so are easier to get into. Have you tried leaving the oats until they eat them, no topping up.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

lechien

Post by lechien » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Jemma, i felt a bit too mean to do that... :lol: but i thought if i just top up (but keep the total amount the same) they'll have less and less to eat, and give in in the end! oh how wrong i was...

but bruised is a good idea. i can just crush them a bit in mortar & pestle and give them... yes they DO eat them when i peel them. you're so right, myzoo, i bet they are giggling behind my back, "pffff, she's PEELING them, one-by-one! by hand!! lol" :angry: