Best easy available food?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
vicky1804

Best easy available food?

Post by vicky1804 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I have no rats yet but doing research. Iv looked into the Rat nations mixes but with shipping it makes it expensive.

Can anyone recommend a easy to access mix that would be good for my future babies?Or anyone in West London I could buy some/split an order with when needed?

I will only have a pair so I wont be buying large amounts as we just done have the space.

Thanks
Vicky

MistressSadako

Re: Best easy available food?

Post by MistressSadako » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Rat Rations is extremely good value for money (they provide high quality food with a great number of ingredients which would cost you a lot more if you were to buy everything seperately), and their shipping is very fair indeed I think! But if you can get to a show where they're going to be, then you can collect from the show without paying the shipping 8) I personally don't find that any commercially available rat mix is suitable as a complete diet, so would have to be "edited" to make it more so :)
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

daffee

Post by daffee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:19 pm

The easiest mix would be to buy a couple of brand mixes and mix them together so that you get a good variety of ingredients.

If you want to have a bit more control over ingedients but not to start from scratch or buy online you could go for an old-style shunamite-type mix - 50% rabbit (muesli style with as little grass/alfalfa as possible) or rat food base, 30% assorted human cereals (porridge oats, ryvita, rice cakes, shredded wheat etc), 10% dog kibble (not needed if using a rat food base), 10% pasta. You may want to change the % depending on how your rats do on the mix, eg less or no pasta if they start getting chubby, but that's the advantage of mixing your own food 8)
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:50 pm

daffee wrote:The easiest mix would be to buy a couple of brand mixes and mix them together so that you get a good variety of ingredients.

If you want to have a bit more control over ingedients but not to start from scratch or buy online you could go for an old-style shunamite-type mix - 50% rabbit (muesli style with as little grass/alfalfa as possible) or rat food base, 30% assorted human cereals (porridge oats, ryvita, rice cakes, shredded wheat etc), 10% dog kibble (not needed if using a rat food base), 10% pasta. You may want to change the % depending on how your rats do on the mix, eg less or no pasta if they start getting chubby, but that's the advantage of mixing your own food 8)
This sounds easy enough as I have had hamsters and mice and usually buy a base and add things like pasta, rice, oats etc.
I have some measuring cups so using the same sized cup am i right in thinking it would be 5/6 cups rat base,3 cups cereal,1 cup pasta?

I checked earlier and for rat nations 1kg of their No7 Mix £3.00 but £5.50 shipping so not really worth while.

Thanks alot
Vicky

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:10 pm

But if you buy more than 1kg, the shipping is still that price (it will change at some point, i don't know what the weight scales are). I suppose I think of it as being so good because I would be buying upwards of 50kg at a time! :lol: If you're planning on buying things like shredded cardboard, paper pellets etc then it's much more cost offective.
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:23 pm

Hmm, yes after I posted I checked for bedding, as the 2 local places to me are P@H and local shop that only sell wood shavings and im still trying to get used to the prices aswell having moved from the North East where everything is cheaper :D

Im trying to get some bedding for my hammy
Vicky

KellyTheCrazyRatLady

Post by KellyTheCrazyRatLady » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:29 pm

i use pasture mix as my base, its got garlic in so helps against mites and lice. i then get a bag of rupert rat, and from a bird food site of the internet i buy a bag od fruity rabbit food and a bag of nutty hamster food and i mix it all up. it last my boys about 2 months, thats with 30 rats and 5 mice
Owned by Aeris Akkarin Araxis Braxton Briec Brisingr Codeh Deloi Eihbear Eldunari Gwenvael Kirin Kyddin Laisren Leighton Lorlen Martris Micah Osen Phury Qysan Reuben Rhage Riley Rixon Rydan Serin Toffee Torin Tyailan and Wraythe

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:34 pm

If you go for a rabbit food based Shunamite style mix I would reccomend the newer version, just w bit better in my eyes.

50% rabbit food
20 - 25% human cereals (pasta, low sugar breakfast cereals, ryvita, that kind of thing, go for around 3 different grains)
10% dried veg and herbs (look for the rabbit herb mixes and dried veg from you local supermarket)
5% mixed seeds (linking, linseed, hemp etc)
5 - 10% protien (dog kibble, soya flakes, shrimp etc )

Mixing a few mixes together works well too, aim for ones with different strenghts and weaknesses, so one that's got wheat as a major ingredient combined with one with more peas, a low protien with a higher protien and so on.

Personally though I love my RR mixes, though I do add a few bits for variety. It does work out far better if you get a decent amount at once and with bedding. You should get through 5kg in a few months even with only 2 rats, you will need suppliments though which does add to the cost a fair bit initially, though they last for ages.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June