Ideas for treats

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Roundtableknights

Ideas for treats

Post by Roundtableknights » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Hi,
Does anyone have some ideas for treats for our two little boys? They've not been fussed by anything so far (digestive biscuit, bran flakes, rat berry drops).
Many thanks! :)

Werepuppy

Re: Ideas for treats

Post by Werepuppy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:17 pm

Have you tried egg yet? Mine love a nice boiled egg, it's hilarious watching them crack the egg open and fight over who gets the yolk!
Also sweetcorn is another favourite of my rats, I have a sweetcorn skewer i bought from a petshop, can leave it hanging in the cage and they just rip the corn off.

Some rats can be a bit nervous of taking food directly from your hands, I know a couple of mine were like that at first. It's actually a natural rat instinct to be cautious about trying new things, but with a bit of patience you can teach your rat that anything that you offer them is most likely going to be yummy!!
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

KellyTheCrazyRatLady

Post by KellyTheCrazyRatLady » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:06 am

i used to give mine yoghurt as a treat but dont now, i now give it with meds and they mob me for it.
mine love cooked monkey nuts in the shells and also p@h vegtable buscuit sticks are a firm fav.
cooked fish they love. coconut whether its the chunks you can get, or dried or in bars they love it.
maybe some cooked chicken. mine also love salad, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers. they love apples.
curly kale, spring greens. i have tried hard boiled eggs and they loved them, havent tried raw eggs thought.
Owned by Aeris Akkarin Araxis Braxton Briec Brisingr Codeh Deloi Eihbear Eldunari Gwenvael Kirin Kyddin Laisren Leighton Lorlen Martris Micah Osen Phury Qysan Reuben Rhage Riley Rixon Rydan Serin Toffee Torin Tyailan and Wraythe

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:42 am

My rats go nuts for roasted curry chickpeas at the moment. Nice and easy to make, soak them for 4 hours, then sprinkle with mild curry powder and roast in the oven for about 30 mins at 180-200 deg c. They keep for quite a while too. I also use dried wrap (you know you always have a couple left in a pack) rice cracker, rice crispies and herb leaves.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Roundtableknights

Post by Roundtableknights » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:45 pm

All great- thank you v.much everyone...I'm off to boil an egg! :)
Thank you again

whoopdedoo

Post by whoopdedoo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:56 pm

How young are they? Our weren't interested in treats for quite a while. Now you need to don full body armour if you go near a biscuit within 3 hours of seeing a rat, though, so they definitely warmed to them! ;) :D

Roundtableknights

Post by Roundtableknights » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:58 pm

They LOVED their boiled egg! They went mad for it and for the first time ate from our hands! :D :D :D Then they scampered around the cage like crazy-they seemed really happy!
They are 10 weeks old, and we only got them on Friday-it's really all about patience in the beginning isn't it! Haha I think we'll need to don full body armour in the future when we give them egg. Would one egg a day be too many for them/over treating?

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:10 pm

At ten weeks it won't hurt but you'll want to cut back to more like one w month as they grow up, they'll need less and less protien as they get older. I would think over the next week or two you'll want to start cutting back.
Jemma
Muse rattery

KellyTheCrazyRatLady

Post by KellyTheCrazyRatLady » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 am

i got some 6 week old rats on wednesaday and they love treats. i give them the vegtable buscuits and they munch on those. they take them thro the bars on from my hand. and they dont bite thro the bars either. i think it depends on the rats, my 6 week old boys love treats as much as the other 26 rats i have. but i only give them every other day as they get other stuff aswell
Owned by Aeris Akkarin Araxis Braxton Briec Brisingr Codeh Deloi Eihbear Eldunari Gwenvael Kirin Kyddin Laisren Leighton Lorlen Martris Micah Osen Phury Qysan Reuben Rhage Riley Rixon Rydan Serin Toffee Torin Tyailan and Wraythe

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:44 pm

Mine love the 'James Wellbeloved' Mini Crackers - they're shaped like little dog bones lol. :D

Pumpkin seeds (in shells) also go down well - tbh they're not really fussy girls though! :lol:

I am *trying* to keep them on healthy treats and off choc drops although I admit that I used one to bribe Lila to come out of hiding from underneath the guinea pigs' hutch. It worked! One whiff and all three were all over me! :wink:
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:04 pm

I know this may be stupid but with the boiled eggs do you leave the shells on and they pick it off?

Mine all love scrambled egg so I'm thinking boiled eggs would be a good variation for them :)

xxx
From Erin
Polo, George, Dylan, Mini, Teddy and Stanley <3 xxx

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:39 am

Shell on is best, just crack it a little for them if your feeling kind.
Jemma
Muse rattery

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks :) I'll do that tomorrow for them :) I've got 6 rats so would I do like 3 boiled eggs between them or is that too much?

xxx
From Erin
Polo, George, Dylan, Mini, Teddy and Stanley <3 xxx

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:17 pm

If there adults I would do one between them (more amusement value anyway). I used to share 1 between 6 when I had them, you can feed them a little more often that way.
Jemma
Muse rattery