Balding rattie

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Diablo

Balding rattie

Post by Diablo » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:31 pm

My lovely Loal is getting on abit now but apart from beeing a tad wheezy is still a very happy healthy rat, but she is starting to lose her hair abit! being part rex I know this is quite common but wondered if anyone has any health tips to help minimisethis I've added fish and cod liver oil into her diet any other ideas?
My pests Lola :smileyrat: Ezra :girly:
not forgotten: Menace :halo: Rogue :halo: Tiny :halo: Pixie :halo: Smudge :halo: Ruby :halo: Tallulah :halo: Pandora :halo:
http://tinytherat.blogspot.com/

acapae_wolf

Re: Balding rattie

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

A rat is either rex or not, they can't be part rex. In saying that, rexes often lose and regrow patches of hair and it's nothing particularly down to you. Some will lose/ regrow more than others, and as with your girl, they're likely to lose hair as they age. Keeping her remaining hair and coat in good condition will help, and is generally a good idea, but it's more something that just is, rather than anything you can influence - so no need to worry about it :)

Rather than cod liver oil, a better one to use is flax aka linseed oil. Cod liver oil is a bit high in vitamin A to be given to rats regularly, especially if their usual protein is in the form of fish anyway. Flax oil is also kind on the kidneys so a bit more suitable to older rats.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

lpt100

Post by lpt100 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi, our oldest rat is getting a bit thin on the hair front all over but thats age, shall try linseed - oil or seeds? One of ours has a small patch of patchy fur, she's agouti and her fur is in perfect condition elsewhere, i'm assuming its just over grooming but doesn't seem to be growing back. Don't think its mites etc as the others are fine and have been vet checked, she is a rather large rat . . Sorry for the post hijack,

Can't rats have 'rex tendencies'?
RIP Lib Lib & Rosie

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:15 am

I say she's part rex as her fur had a slight curl to it when she was younger but now not so much....I had two other rats like this they had really curly fur and whiskers when they were young rats but not that really defined curl that you associate with rex fur so 'part rex is the best way I can describe it.... abit curly I suppose is more accurate I don't know I don't breed they are all from rescues so have suspect parentage ;) I shall try linseed oil and see how she gets on cheers!
not forgotten: Menace :halo: Rogue :halo: Tiny :halo: Pixie :halo: Smudge :halo: Ruby :halo: Tallulah :halo: Pandora :halo:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:41 am

She'll just be not very good example of the variety :) Their hair doesn't always curl the same amount (between individuals or on one rat), and how it curls/ looks/ feels can differ also.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:56 am

that's what I kind of meant by being 'part rex' allthough she's not very curly at the moment lol her and another black/brown rex type I had had the same effect when they got older of the hair just looking like it was stuck on randomly :)

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:08 pm

my lovely Lola!

Lostgirl08

Post by Lostgirl08 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:21 pm

My belle is a very poor Rex, has Rex feel to her fur she is balding but I think
Some of it is barbering as well lol her tummy is bald! And little patches bless her nothing else wrong with her been checked out but they didnt find anything :)
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce