Identifying these grains/seeds

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
StormySkye

Identifying these grains/seeds

Post by StormySkye » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:21 am

My base mix doesn't list the ingredients, so I wondered if anyone could let me know what's actually in it and if it is okay to use. My girls eat everything in it, which is good, and I just use it as a base for the shunamite diet so I want to make sure that all the grains etc are okay.

Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

acapae_wolf

Re: Identifying these grains/seeds

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:34 am

Yep, that looks good :)

Black things are black sunflower seeds
Small red round things are red dari (aka sorghum, milo)
Yellow solid things are chipped maize
Rounded oval blobby grains are pearl barley
Long pointy whole grains are oats.

Are the splodgy brown and white things puffs?
If I peer closely I can see some whole grains that look mid-way between the barley and oats; not as long as oats, bit fatter, but with an 'edge' and pointy ends still. They're probably wheat, but I can't really tell from the photo.

I'd watch the sunflower content, and just bear in mind that oats are of the less suitable options for oldier rats (esp. bucks). But if you're adding other things to that anyway, the % will go down, and it doesn't look like there's an awful lot in there anyway. That there's barley and dari especially is good - they're not the cheapest grains and as a result lower quality foods don't include them as the priofit margin is lower. That's in the UK at least where there's more wheat/ oat dominance.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:51 am

Thanks so much for your help :D

I think the splodgy things are more crispy than puffy (very technical terminology :lol: )
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Very technical :lol: I don't really know, but in a grain mix looking like that I wouldn't assume it's anything to be concerned aout. A good mix for a commercial one really.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on