OH spoils them... now they won't eat half their food!!

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
CrazyBadger

OH spoils them... now they won't eat half their food!!

Post by CrazyBadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:29 pm

It's been driving me mad since I realised it! Basically we moved in together recently, so we have both our rats, but before this I would make a big batch of my striaghts based lovingly homecreated from scratch mix to feed them instead of a mix of rabbit food and p@h rat museli kind of things. So I thought yay they are all eating properly but I have come to realise they don't at all now I see him feeding them. The OH changes their food regularly and gives them wayyyyy too much, so they eat the few bits of the pasta, human cereals,all dried veg and "interesting bits" all the dried shrimp/tasty kibble, and have been leaving basically the entire selection of base grains!!
Living with him I have started to realise he changes the food everytime once theres only the "boring bits" left in the bowl :o ahhhh! Yesterday from morn-evening I left them with what they had from day before, and again I gave them a very small amount last night and looking now they have left out the following:
some of the flaked maize and small amount of maize grits
small amount of white dari
all of the buckwheat
all of the groats
most of the flaked wheat
most of the flaked barley
small amount of linseed
some flax seeds
all of the paddy rice
some mixed puffs.

What on earth am I going to do!! :angry: :angry:
^^^ Owned by Spyro :smileyrat: Skittle :smileyrat: Badger :dumbo: Shadow :dumbo: Whisper :smileyrat: and Smudge :smileyrat: ^^^^

acapae_wolf

Re: OH spoils them... now they won't eat half their food!!

Post by acapae_wolf » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Have you tried talking to him at all? Longterm that's going to be what needs to happen rather than doing changes at the rat side of things.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

CrazyBadger

Post by CrazyBadger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:38 pm

Yeah, I have told him a few times look, they need to eat all of it, he agrees, but then he feels sorry for them so gives them more food anyway :roll: It's going to take a while to teach them they have to eat these bits I have a feeling. I am mostly worried because I have left them with these bits for a fair amount of time and they just haven't eaten them :-| I feel like they are treating the important bits like those useless grass pellets you get in packaged pet foods, no matter how long you leave them in the bowl they ain't going nowhere!
^^^ Owned by Spyro :smileyrat: Skittle :smileyrat: Badger :dumbo: Shadow :dumbo: Whisper :smileyrat: and Smudge :smileyrat: ^^^^

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Lock up the food and keep the key hidden within your bosom so he can't fill dishes when you're not around....... :wink:

Seriously though; you need to hammer it into him that his kindness is actually going to do harm to the rats. I sympathise because I have a husband who feels that the meagre amount of pellets the rabbits / guinea pigs get every night is just not enough and insists on sneaking 'extras' into their bowls.... and don't get me started on the amount of treats he gives out...... :roll:

However by drilling it into him that it's **not** kind to overfeed the animals and give too many treats I have made some progress!

Big softies these blokes are! :lol:
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Try scatter feeding, then he cant see the food so doesnt end up feeling guilty and giving them more, plus they'll enjoy it too :D
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts: