soya products

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
ShonaHollie

soya products

Post by ShonaHollie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi,

Just looking into soya products to give to my girls. Not so hot on what is out there though so was just wondering what is good to get and if there are any particular favourites with your ratties? x
Owned by little poppets Freya, Neffy, Sutty, Luna & Sunna
Sadly missed: Matilda, Bumble, Badger, Grace, Phoebe, Meg and Molly

KateR

Re: soya products

Post by KateR » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:12 pm

We've bought dry soya beans (oragnic ones) and soaked and roasted them. There's also soya flakes from Rat Rations.
Mummy to the Rattray rats.
Waiting at Rainbow Bridge - 27 ratty angels.
http://www.rattrayrattery.co.uk
http://www.yorkshireratclub.co.uk/

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Just be aware that unfermented soy is a source of phytooestrogens, in humans you are supposed to limit your intake of this form of soy because using it as a sole replacement for animal protein is;
A) a poor source of protein as it is lacking some of the essential amino acids and therefore incomplete as protein goes and
B) oestrogen causes you to lay down fat easier (this is why women are more curvy than men)
C) excess oestrogen is associated with all sorts of health problems (this is why pregnancy tends to worsen health conditions)

Now, this is in humans, it may not necessarily be the same in rats, but I can't imagine it's particularly good. So if you are going to use soy, use it sparingly..

Fermented soy is not as bad (eg tempeh, Natto, miso, soy sauce), in fact it's a better source of vitamin K2 (for blood clotting and bone health) and probiotics.

If you are looking for a non animal source of protein for your rats may I suggest quinoa or amaranth. Both these seeds contain the full compliment of amino acids and as such are considered whole proteins. It means they're as good as meat, without any of the bad stuff associated with meat, such as killing animals or the antibiotics pumped into them to reduce infection in factory farms.

They both look like cous cous, I add quinoa flakes into the dry mix as they are bigger flattened out. I haven't used amaranth as they only got it in in the health food shop recently and it's only in it's original cous cous form and too small for using in the mix, have yet to cook it for myself either.. Quinoa is very nice though, the boys have had normal cooked quinoa a few times and they love it.. To cook it you use twice as much water as quinoa in a wide bottomed pot with the lid on, takes about 12-15 mins.. It goes light and fluffy when the water has absorbed, some people boil then steam it to make it more fluffy..
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:15 pm

Soya is one of those contravershal topics which people rarely agree on. I would say though if used in a balanced healthy diet it has been shown to be very effective in reducing the risk of heart disease and lowering the incidents of tumours in female rats. Many of the studies that show harmful effects of soya have been in rats fed on diets that were predominantly or very high percentages of soya, as i've said many times feeding too much of anything is unhealthy.

Soya is one of the most complete vegetarian sources of protein, it has been found to be a 99-100% match to human amino acid requirements (see table 6, though it is lower for rats as they need more methionine in there diet. Fortunately this amino acid is found in good amounts in grains and many seeds so is not a worry for us when a good balanced diet is fed. Amaranth is actually around 85% as is quinoa (see here), if you go off LAA score. Both are still useful grains and i do think they have a place in a well balanced diet but if you are going to point out that soya is not complete then they definitely aren't.

As for fat laying properties, it's not something I've seen much evidence for, again at the levels of soya we typically feed in our diets, nor have i heard of any oestrogen related lack of fertility in any rats fed with soya as there protien source, which is another common one raised.

Personally i believe that soya is a very useful part of a rats diet and feed it in flaked form as part of my mix along with dried shrimps as my main protien source. I also occasionall feed roasted soya beans as a treat and prefer it to low quality chicken meat which is so common in many commercial rat foods.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Flox

Post by Flox » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:19 am

This is good to know, thanks - I was puzzled by the RR 'no soya' mixes and wondering what big soya conspiracy I'd missed out on!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:24 am

Some people also may not like feeding soya because of the ecological/ political considerations rather than purely diet-related. I don't buy it very often at all (only soya mince, which the rats sometimes get also) for those reasons. But on the face of it, I have nothing against feeding rats soya in general terms :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

ShonaHollie

Post by ShonaHollie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Jemma wrote: I would say though if used in a balanced healthy diet it has been shown to be very effective in reducing the risk of heart disease and lowering the incidents of tumours in female rats.
This is why I was after it. Had too many occurrences of mammary lumps for my liking, and thought introducing it to my girls now might be a good idea.
Owned by little poppets Freya, Neffy, Sutty, Luna & Sunna
Sadly missed: Matilda, Bumble, Badger, Grace, Phoebe, Meg and Molly

Flox

Post by Flox » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Hehehe, good... I chose the soya mix over the non soya because it was cheaper and I didn't know why not to :D

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:11 am

Be very careful it's organic anyway.. Anything in moderation is fine (almost), but GM soy and rats is showing some pretty negative results.. A lot of soy is GM, although not all. So be sure before you use it..
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts: