Rat food as base-No extra protein

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
vicky1804

Rat food as base-No extra protein

Post by vicky1804 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi all
Yet another food question Sorry :oops:

I was reading the different articles on the main page and the feeding one mentioned at if you used rat food as a base there no need to add extra protein. Is this right? and it also mentions pets at home musli would be suitable.

Im only asking as im looking for the easiest things to gather for me while giving our future rats a good food.

Thanks
Vicky

acapae_wolf

Re: Rat food as base-No extra protein

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:53 pm

It does mean you don't need to any any extra to their dry food, yup. However generally the quality of the protein lowered is less good than many people prefer. Depends how important that is to you :) Also rat commercial rat foods tend to be oat/ wheat based which is less good if you have boys/ oldies especially than something based on on barley/ maize with small amounts of oats/ wheat included - more likely to have other options grain-wise with rabbit foods. Ironically grain-based foods are unsuitable for rabbits, but there you go :lol:

Rupert Rat is the best commercial rat food out there, although it can be a bit of a pain to get hold of. I don't really know the comparitive suitability of the PAH museli, sorry. Maybe someone else who's used it will reply in a bit.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Just giggled to myself, the last few days it appears your always the one to answer :D :girly:

Just checked actually and it works out cheaper to order stuff through RR instead.

Thanks for baring with all my questions
Vicky

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:11 pm

That's because I'm meant to be packing everything up! :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:33 pm

You can always find something to do, when you should be doing something else :P
Vicky