What age should I start a 'kidney friendly' diet?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Cupcake100

What age should I start a 'kidney friendly' diet?

Post by Cupcake100 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:27 pm

Hi everyone,

I currently feed the 'No7 Complete- All Adults' mix from Rat Rations, supplemented with fresh veggies and occasionally some 'human' foods like porridge, cous cous, chicken bones, or whatever else we are eating at the time.

My boys are 12 months old and I was wondering at what age I should start feeding them a kidney friendly diet? And would the Rat Rations 'No8 Complete - Elderly Kidney Friendly' mix be the best to move on to when the time comes?

Also, what age is a rat officially classed as Elderly? I'm hoping i've got a long way to go yet before I get to that stage but just wanted to know and see if there is anything I could be doing now to help them live long and happy ratty lives!

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)
*Louise*

Proud Mummy to Five Beautiful Boys: -
:smileyrat: George, :smileyrat: Oscar, :smileyrat: Milo, :smileyrat: Bailey and :smileyrat: Rupert

acapae_wolf

Re: What age should I start a 'kidney friendly' diet?

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:33 pm

When rats are classed as elderly depends very much on the individual rat, rather than a firm cut-off line. I'd start feeding them a kidney-friendly diet sometime between now and 18months, but just because they are on one, definately doesn't make them old. There was a lot of confusion about that a while ago, hence emphasis :)

Personally I have girls, so it's less of a worry, however all rats experience kidney (and other organ) decline to a degree just as a general part of being alive. What I do now, in having a mixed age group, is just always have them on a dry diet that's suitable for older rats, as it means I don't need to worry about who gets what etc. - it doesn't do younger rats (post rehoming age) any harm anyway.

So I'd probably move over next time you need to make an order :D
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Cupcake100

Post by Cupcake100 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Thanks Beri - and if I move them to the No8 mix soon, would I just supplement with the occasional protein, seeing as though they are still only 12 months old? And when I say occasional, would that be every other day, or less often per week?

I'm guessing a rat, at any age, still needs a small amount of protein? Is that right?
*Louise*

:smileyrat: George, :smileyrat: Oscar, :smileyrat: Milo, :smileyrat: Bailey and :smileyrat: Rupert

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:40 pm

They do need protien through there lives yes. It's worth knowing when your feeding something like number 7 that it is pretty kidney friendly as it is. To me I would switch from that onto a more kidney friendly mix when the rats just weren't doing as well on it, but I understand that cam be hard to judge. I think the choice will very much depend on how cautious you want to be. They can do fine on number 8 at the age they are, if you watch there condition and if they loose it a bit you can feed some fresh. Or if you want you could stick with number 7 and add in some extra processed cereals, effectively diluting the protien down a bit and making the nutrients more easily available.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:23 pm

*is getting confused with numbers* :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:03 pm

I feed a reasonably kidney friendly base diet throughout their lives - but I also feed most of the protien as fresh food, mainly because I think it's more interesting for them, but also because it means I can feed different rats different types and amounts according to need, while giving them a communal dry mix.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Cupcake100

Post by Cupcake100 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 pm

Thank you all for your advice. I am pleased to hear that their current food (No7 complete mix) is also pretty kidney friendly - that puts my mind at rest somewhat!

I think once they have finished with this batch of food, I will look into one of the other kidney friendly mixes and move on to one of those.

Thanks for your help! :)
*Louise*