Immune System Boosting?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
quinn

Immune System Boosting?

Post by quinn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:55 am

I've had a spell of bad luck recently with my ratties unfortunately.

I lost Sarah due to old age and an opportunistic virus.
I lost Sophie a day later due to a very fast acting resp illness, she went from ok (no porphrin or sneezes) to dead in 48 hours.

Now I've lost Ezri in a battle with Myco (I believe) and perhaps some of its freeloader friends, unfortunately she didn't respond to treatment.

I've read up on Mycoplasma probably far too much than is healthy but my thought is, if I could supplement their diet with specific things to boost their immune systems and responses, this should make them more resistant to Myco and it's nasty friends. I'm not saying they may not have flare-ups, but I'd like to give them as much a fighting chance as possible from the word 'go'.

All of my remaining colony are under 4 months, they all seem bright and healthy but I'm rather paranoid about the whole Myco nastiness now as I've had to come face-to-face with it. Sadly, you learn by experience.

They currently have filtered water, a mix of 'complete' rat food nuggets (Burgess Suparat - Rat Royale) and Reggie Rat.
Their cage is the Liberta Happy Home (6ft x 4ft x 2ft) - it's ample size for their needs.
The floor material is currently Carefresh (changed from cardboard squares), nest material is Safebed Rodent Bedding.
They get cleaned once a week thoroughly and we have 2 backup cages incase of illness for seperation or quarantine.

They also get the odd treat but I like to keep it as a treat, not as part of their diet.
They get fresh fruit and bits of whatever food we have, cooked pasta bake etc - nothing too flavourful, sweet, salty.

I'm looking for things I can add to their water or suppliment their diet with, even on a periodic basis to give them an extra boost.
:rainbow: Psychorat, Mallow, Pest, Brownie, Sweeney, Sox, Stripe, Spot, Sparkle, Jay, Spooky, Kara, Arwen, Alice, Emily, Sarah, Sophie, Ezri, Bandit, Anubis, Flash

:girly: Sprite, Yoda, Willow, Jasmine, Isis, Sylvia, Millie, Molly, Buffy, Lily

sati18

Re: Immune System Boosting?

Post by sati18 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:44 am

Echinacia for one- the rat warehouse do phytopet immune booster drops which I've bought. can't say i've had much occasion to use them on the rats at the moment but i did get so desperate with a cold that i ended up taking them for about 3 days and defintiely felt noticably better and quicker to recover. I did check first that they were human safe.

The other thign that instantly springs to mind would be a vitamin powder such as doctor squiggles daily essentials which gives extra vitamins and also encourages the rats to drink as they love the taste in their water.
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

quinn

Post by quinn » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:52 am

Excellent - I assume thats Dr. Squiggles Daily Essentials?
:rainbow: Psychorat, Mallow, Pest, Brownie, Sweeney, Sox, Stripe, Spot, Sparkle, Jay, Spooky, Kara, Arwen, Alice, Emily, Sarah, Sophie, Ezri, Bandit, Anubis, Flash

:girly: Sprite, Yoda, Willow, Jasmine, Isis, Sylvia, Millie, Molly, Buffy, Lily

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:58 pm

I'd feed way more fresh veg - i.e. a decent mixed portion every day (mine get one or two gu pudding ramkins worth between 6, if that helps with amounts). Supplements etc can all have a role to play in dealing with a particular need, but when it comes down to it, I don't think you can beat a really good healthy base diet.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat: