What oils/supplements are good for elderly ratties?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Gracelilian

What oils/supplements are good for elderly ratties?

Post by Gracelilian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm making my first rat rations order now. I have two under 5 months and 2 over 25 months. Will these things be appropriate to give to all of them as they are all in one cage, I can take two out to feed them special stuff but for their meals they all eat together.

I have the no 8 kidney elderly friendly complete mix and soft food mash 10 adult and elderly.
Linseed oil- their coats arnt as lovely as they used to be ): would you say this is needed or unnessasary?
mixed insects and water creatures as a treat, are they okay for both ages? Or shall I just get insects or just water creatures?
Nutrical
Senior aid (do I need it? How do I give it? How often?)
Daily essentials- this may sounds silly but how do I give it? Is it a powder?
Calcivet- how often do I give?

Also what are the following things and how do they help?
Blue maw
Bee pollen
Algae

Thank you very much (: sorry if I sound like a bit if a noob :oops:
Owned by Jacko, Popcorn, Ben and Jerry :D

RIP smudge, love and kisses
RIP badger, miss you lots!

Jemma

Re: What oils/supplements are good for elderly ratties?

Post by Jemma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:49 pm

Linseed oil is great, especially for oldies as it can help improve the function of damaged kidneys. I'd feed it a couple of times a week on wet food to all ages or as often as you feed wet food to the oldies (if there getting a bit skinny they may need to come out daily for extra wet).

Mixed insects and water creatures I would save as a treat for your youngsters and not give them to your oldies as they are very high in protein.

nutrical - just feed them a bit straight out of the tube as a treat if there looking a bit skinny, if not a small amount now and then is a good treat.

Senior aid is easiest fed as q squirt mixed into wet food, or you can add a few squirrel to a big tub of dry mix and mix around. If there lookin.g old I would feed it daily.

Daily essentials is a water soluble powder, put the amount listed on the bottle (may need some working out depending on the size of your water bottle) and add half full of water, shake and then top up. Feed it 2 to 3 times a week and add about 1 to 2 ml of calcivet to that water too.

I don't think I've missed anything ...
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Flox

Post by Flox » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:46 pm

Jemma wrote:Senior aid is easiest fed as q squirt mixed into wet food, or you can add a few squirrel to a big tub of dry mix and mix around.
Now I'm no expert, but I'd say that's probably a little too much protein for elderly rats...

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:35 am

Lol auto correct is amusing sometimes
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Gracelilian

Post by Gracelilian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am

Ahhh thank you! Just waiting for my delivery now. Thanks for your help lol I was clueless :oops:
Owned by Jacko, Popcorn, Ben and Jerry :D

RIP smudge, love and kisses
RIP badger, miss you lots!