What dog food?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
pipsqueak

What dog food?

Post by pipsqueak » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:44 pm

Could someone advise me on what dog kibble is and what brand to buy? My OH says it's an american term for dry dog food but does that mean the complete dog food or the mixer? I was looking in tesco for inspiration earlier and could not decide on what i should be buying. It's to mix in with my museli and cereal. My girls also get fruit and or veg everyday even if just some dandelion leaves. Thanks

Lostgirl08

Re: What dog food?

Post by Lostgirl08 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 pm

If it's like dogs Tesco foods arent great for good balanced foods with good levels of actual meat and protien etc

I'm
Sure I read that moat people use burns which personally is 99.9% the same in ingredients as skinners duck and rice or skinners salmon and rice the only difference was beet (or something similar)

I use skinners it's amazing food and it's cheap still I pay £19 for a 15kg sack but you can get smaller bags at around £5
My girls- Rosie, Tinker, Lyra, Indy, Belle, Pixie, Rain and Neiva
The boys- megaton, Ironhide, optimus prime, barricade, B and starscream
Run Free- Poppy 10.7.11
Plus Oliver toast,peppa,foxy,zeb,bear, Levi and Bruce

pipsqueak

What dog food?

Post by pipsqueak » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:50 am

I've just been doing some further reading around the forum and a lot of people are saying not to use dog 'kibble' with PAH Museli. But the museli looks very grainy and un appetising, more like bird food than animal food! It definately looks like it needs something else even with cereal in it. Or it could be that we used to use the brightly coloured reggie rat and that's why the new one looks so plain?

charlie4591

Re: What dog food?

Post by charlie4591 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:01 pm

thats because rat food is already high in protein and fat, extra protein from dog kibble is not needed. if feeding a shunamite diet with rabbit food or straights as a base, good quality dog kibble should make up about 10% of your overall mix. so you have something like this:

base mix 60% (straights or rabbit food)
cereals 20%
dried veg, herbs and seeds 10%
protein 10% ( dog kibble/ dried insects/ water creatures/ soya flakes etc)

if you have rat food as your base you don't need to add as much protein as the rat food already has the extra protein. but it depends what you use and the age of your ratties. if you're only adding a few cereals to your rat food base mix then extra protein isnt really needed but if you're doing a full shunamite mix you'll need the extra protein.

hopefully someone can come along and explain that a little better.
:love: Owned by my 8 beautiful girlies, Isis, Artemis, Venus, Athena, Freya, Parvati, Sonea and Trinity :love: 3 beautiful baby boys, Akkarin, Ceryni and Neo :love: