Mum wont stop feeding the rats...

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
emma10

Mum wont stop feeding the rats...

Post by emma10 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:21 am

...and i really dont know how to stop her.

When i moved home 2 months ago my boys were a little chubby, but nothing a better cage layout and laying off the yoggies couldn't sort out.

Billy seems to be getting bigger by the day! Its not impairing his movement yet.

Whenever my mum walks past the cage she cant help but give them a cheerio, they have her under the thumb, but shes started over cooking for us so they get a hot meal every night!

We eat pretty healthily anyway, but surely they can't have human food everynight?

She only fills a little bowl full, but i really need her to stop before they pop.

She says that it wont harm them, and as they're all rescues they deserve to eat like kings!

How do i convince her? If i take the bowl out she has a go at me saying that its a waste and they might as well have it.

Help!
Mummy to Billy, Maxi and Bilo <3

Goodbye Dento, hope you find a forever home my squidgey<3

RattyRenton

Re: Mum wont stop feeding the rats...

Post by RattyRenton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:38 am

Simply point out that she's making them fat and unhealthy, reel off the health problems in obese rats. Surely she'll see your point if you tell her she's making them unhealthy. My nan is like this, she went to feed her cat bacon fat the other day, I soon put a stop to that! She tried to feed my boys bacon when I took them down once, I was like "er, no!".
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:39 am

Ah Liverpudlian mum! I was at university there and one of my mates lived locally. Whenever we went round, his mum would feed all of us. Fantastic! Don't suppose I could just move in ...

How about trying to persuade her to give them bits of vegetables or fruit, rather than more fattening things. Then she could keep feeding them, but they shouldn't get so fat.

Otherwise, send her down to live with me :lol:

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:48 am

Alijane wrote:Ah Liverpudlian mum!
Liverpudlian nans are much worse, I'm sure it's to do with living through the war and rationing. If you could see the amount of food my nan tries to make us eat when we go down, she's an amazing cook and as well as starting the day on a pile of bacon butties and the huge roast din in the evening we get home made apple pie, strawberry cake, jam tarts, coconut cakes, etc, plus all the crisps and nuts and chocolate......
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

emma10

Post by emma10 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:40 am

damn scouse women!

She does give them lettuce and carrot and stuff. But then feels guilty! She made them chicken tikka whilst i was away! She knows they'll get ill, but i dont think she understands how ill. Eurgh.

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:30 pm

I'd suggest feeding them less rat food, if she's going to feed them a lot of other extras and she ignores your requests to not feed them.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

dibble

Post by dibble » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:28 pm

I'm a mum who would love to feed the rats every time I pass...

but, I listened to my daughter who explained to me the reasons not to,
so I don't.

I interact with them in other ways, by cuddles and hellos and enjoying the free ranging.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:01 pm

My mum and brother were the same. After 18 months of me nagging and pleading they eventually understood but only after I went completely mental after finding out they had put a whole krispy kreme doughnut in the cage.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

emma10

Post by emma10 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Well she was better today. They got a tiny bit of fish finger each. Could be better but could be alot worse!

Flox

Post by Flox » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:18 pm

I think things like this just require really kind but firm handling. The problem is that people often think they're being kind, and even if on some level they're aware that they could cause problems, it's never strong enough to break through their justification. This is why you get those awful programmes about overweight dogs and their owners getting all defensive because they 'love' their pet, while it struggles along with joint issues and diabetes and that 'kill me now' look in its eyes that everyone but the owner can see.

I'd suggest getting a good list of associated health problems (I can't help with that I'm afraid, I'm sure someone else can though). Then rather than just dropping hints, or nagging her to stop, have A Proper Chat and try and establish some rules :D

1) These are the illnesses associated with overfeeding / feeding inappropriate foods
2) If you continue to upset their balanced diet, these things WILL happen. It will be expensive and the rats will suffer
3) I know you love giving them treats, but these must be restricted to things that are good for them - make a list of vegetables, meat etc. Although they WILL eat anything, that doesn't mean it's safe for them to do so.
4) Try to agree to how often and when which treats can be fed - e.g. lots of veg, meat once a week or something

Only... phrased in a friendly, diplomatic but booking-no-argument sort of way :) I'm not very good at that..!

The problem is that if you just let things continue, it's not going to change - she won't really believe she's doing anything wrong (and how can you tell someone to stop being nice?!) - so you really, really need to press home that this is going to cause damage, and that it will be expensive and upsetting. Even if it doesn't come to that, which I hope it doesn't :) But that's why I suggest agreeing on 'safe' treats and a strict timetable - then she can still feel like she's being kind to them, but in a way which won't damage their health. Best o' luck... not something I'd want to have to sort out!

sunsetonibiza

Post by sunsetonibiza » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I've stopped buying yoggies because of this! When I first got the rats theyHAD to in in my bedroom then one day my dad of all people said he'd like to have the ratties downstairs! So I jumped at the chance but then I noticed the 2 bags of yoggies we'd got that normally lasted at least2 months had gone with in like 3 days! Turned out the rats were sulking and looked hungry! Wrapped em round their little fingers so I just put my foot down and said that any treats must be given by me I know they get odd bits from my family but at least its not ridiculous. Bless em! Oh yeah and my rats now get excited about fruit and vegetables
Owned by Jenny, Bella, Tallulah, Boo, Elfie, Sally and Alice.