Feeding veg...

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
daffee

Re: Feeding veg...

Post by daffee » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:18 am

Jemma wrote: I don't not feed bananas but don't have them in often as I hate the things and I've never imagined them freezing well.
They freeze fine for use in baking but they go very mushy so I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:36 am

Hmm can imagine my rats ending up wearing bannana socks, and hats and just generally being icky...
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:07 pm

I've given frozen banana - it's not that messy. But I don't defrost it first.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Woozle attaches life or death importance to his banana ration - literally - he came out of an apparently fatal seizure just to eat some.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 pm

Neotoma wrote:Woozle attaches life or death importance to his banana ration - literally - he came out of an apparently fatal seizure just to eat some.
:lol: :lol: He is a silly rat really.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Yes, but he is, at present, a live silly rat... (although he could be planning anything)
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:27 pm

Really useful to see what everyone feeds there rats.

Have to say with my pair so far veggies and fruit are going down like a lead ballon. Tried them with peas in the shell, then taken out the shell, spring greens and sweetcorn so far all rejected. I dont think they have ever been fed fresh food before so they view it with suspion. They do like the protein though and wolf down cat food, eggs, mealworms, cheese and beef.

Any ideas or extra tasty veggies or fruits i can use to temp them that fresh food is good?
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Keep trying and try offering a variety a day. At this stage if they’ve not been given very much variety growing up then there not going to want to try things straight away. Rats are often neuphobic, especially towards food, unless they’ve had a vaired and diverse start in life. There initial rection will be to avoid anything unuseual in a familier place, then taste a tiny bit (so little that you may not notice them eating it), then if they don’t get sick start eating it regularly. I do wonder if another way of tempting them would be to offer it to them in an unfamiliar place, though from my experience youngsters don’t eat much in strange places unless there relaxed. You could theoretically try offering it in a different room in the carrier for a while and see if this convinces them to try but it Is a long shot, patience should work better.

Cooking can also help slightly, though I personally virtually never cook foods for my rats (tends to loose some of the vitamins), or grating / chopping up small. Adding a few drops of something special like oil can tempt too. I don’t think anything beats getting rats that have been raised on a varied diet though.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:10 pm

Bit late, but frozen bananas are really tasty. Especially if you coat chunks in chocolate, wrap in tin foil and freeze. Nom.
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.