Safe fruit/veg waste? General veg questions..

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
Betterstar

Safe fruit/veg waste? General veg questions..

Post by Betterstar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:11 pm

My parents visited the other day and brought with them loads of veg from the garden. I wondered whether any of the stuff we would usually throw out is safe to chuck in the rat cage rather than the bin? We have:

Radish and turnip tops
Broad beans in pods (are the pods dangerous and is it safe to feed the beans raw? I read about a rare genetic thing in humans which could result in anaemia if raw broad beans were eaten.. Google says rats can also suffer from this so I'm assuming they shouldn't be fed whole/raw?)
Radishes - I do consider these to be food waste, they're gross! :oops:
Carrot peelings in general - since having bought a big bag of reduced organic carrots I've been feeding the rats the skin.. Is it safe to do this with non organic carrots? What chemicals are used in carrot farming and do they reach the carrot itsself?

Can turnips be eaten/fed raw?
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

acapae_wolf

Re: Safe fruit/veg waste? General veg questions..

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Yes to all - well ish, see below lol.
I don't know specifically about broad bean pods (FOUL HORRIBLE THINGS), but I've fed other beans in their pods fine. I tend to lightly steam broad beans - tried raw once and they were ignored. Carrots I never peel ever, so the rats get the skin if they have carrot :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 pm

Cool, thanks :D

I hate broad beans too, but we had them in stir fry (without the horrible bitter, squeaky skin) and it was actually quite nice. First time I've ever enjoyed broad beans!

You need to come and eat some vegetables, I don't know how we're going to get through them all! We have about 4kg of potatos! :o
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:37 pm

I will more than happily eat some veggies. Well, so long as they're in Yorkshire and not in Plymouth as your FR profile seems to think you still are :P

Maybe I'll have to try some stir fried broad beans.... I have to say, they still sound rank :sickrat:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:55 pm

Changed :P

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:09 pm

My rats get everything I eat except mango and citrus so I would give them everything on your list. I've never eat organic carrots which probably explains alot about why I am how I am :lol: But I think it would also be fine for your rats.

I would cook the turnip though just because that's how I eat it so I don't know whether it's like potato or something...

It all sounds nice. I would love to have a vegetable garden when I'm older.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Turnip is safe for people to eat raw - you often find it in salads and things :)
Well done yarn *pats*
*~~Beri~~*

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:13 pm

Really? I never knew that!
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Cava5

Post by Cava5 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Most of the broad beans here never get as far as the rats :lol:
Anne
Amalie, Freya, Beatrice :girly: Ulrika :dumbogirly:
Twister, Oliver :smileyrat:
Ant, Keeper, Dec,Tirani, Myroy, Loon, Fitlike, DRat, Geordie Hinny, Blanche, Rose @ :rainbow:

Felix

Post by Felix » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

I wouldn't feed raw broad bean (aren't they supposed to cause tummy ache and contain some of that 'nasty chemical' thing that kidney beans have? and I wouldn't feed any peelings, not of any sort I don't think, but especially not carrots due to some article i read probably about a decade ago, about them being one of the most contaminated. It was so long ago I cannot remember if the article was from a reputable source.

I also more recently read some stuff about pesticides in veg - not added pesticides but the organic plants naturally producing pesticides. I think this was a link on egerbil. I didn't know what to make of it, when research is based on using LD50 tests, how does one guess whether a 'normal' concentration would have similar ill effects? but it did reinforce my feeling that feeding peelings is not worth it.
Ah, found the link, you need to scroll half way down the page. Links to the research isn't on there, but perhaps someone could source them and see if they can make any sense.
http://www.egerbil.com/gerbil_food_supplements

I never knew turnips could be eaten raw, might have to try that.

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I feed skin on, mainly because whilst the skin is where some of the natural insecticides occur, it's also where a lot of the vitamins are concentrated. Carrots are one of the higher pesticide residue collectors, and I do normally buy organic. I have some broad beans in pods I intend to feed, but I was going to lightly cook them (pod and all) first.

The important point (which is mentioned in that article) is moderation. I wouldn't feed tons of any one fruit or veg because that's not healthy. But that doesn't mean feeding a bit is bad. There was a bloke post-WW2 rationing who killed himself by eating far too many bananas in celebration of being able to buy them again - but the banana dose needed to be toxic is far above anything we would normally eat. I wouldn't give the rats a bunch of bananas in one go, but a chunky slice each most days does no harm.

I feed several different sorts of fruit and veg each night, which means you don't get masses of any one thing, and I try not to feed any one thing for more than a few days running. Variety lowers the risk of eating too much of anything bad, and also raises the variety of nutrients consumed.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 pm

I never peel any veggies! I normally laugh at people who do, especially peppers and tomatoes :P
*~~Beri~~*

Flox

Post by Flox » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:44 pm

I think someone mentioned before, but it bears repeating - broad bean haters - peel 'em first! I've never been able to stand the things until my boyfriend learned that on Masterchef, and y'know... they ain't that bad! The skin is were all the awful nasty is.

I don't tend to peel carrots when I get whole ones, but often I get cut ones in the M&S veg bags (great for mixes if you're disorganised/unimaginative/don't mind getting poor quickly) or in frozen mixed veg (I hate that stuff, so I'm subtly trying to remove it from the freezer and into the rats). They don't get beans (unless they're in those ready to eat M&S bean salads :oops: ) because I can never remember which need cooking or are already cooked. Turnip has never entered this house and never will so long as I have a say in it :D