Help, Newbie on the loose!!

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
auntiekay

Help, Newbie on the loose!!

Post by auntiekay » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Hey there I am new/not new to the world of rats and I need help with feeding. I have looked through many posts but cannot find a simple breakdown of the Shunamite diet. I know every rat is different but I am lost as to a place to start. I read the guide but it didn't give me much help as to what brands and types of food to use. Again I am sorry if this post is annoying but I don't want my rat to suffer. Thankies love Auntie Kay xxx

secretpennell

Re: Help, Newbie on the loose!!

Post by secretpennell » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:13 pm

This is the "basis" of the Shunamite Diet:

base mix 60%
cereals 20%
dried veg, herbs and seeds 10%
extra protein 10% ( dog kibble/ dried insects/ soya flakes etc)

The base mix could be one of the straight mixes as sold by Rat Rations or a complete rabbit muesli mix (not pellets), If using a rabbit muesli choose one with reasonably high copper. Here's a few ideas - Harrisons Banana Brunch, Alpha Herbal, Burgess Supa Fruiti, Johnsons Special or Fruit.
The cereals can be human processed cereals - choose low sugar ones - or broken up crackers, rice cakes, pasta (small amounts).
Popular dog kibbles to use include James Well Beloved and Burns often chicken or fish variety.
Reduce the quantity of protein as your rats get older.
Rat Out of Hell Rescue

auntiekay

Re: Help, Newbie on the loose!!

Post by auntiekay » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:54 pm

thank you very much for your swift reply. Scamp says thank you too!! xxx