What my rats ate today.....

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
ali67

What my rats ate today.....

Post by ali67 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:07 pm

I thought it might be fun (and useful) to let each other know what we feed our rats each day - I'm thinking more in terms of the fresh food we give in addition to a dry mix. We used to do this on a vegetarian forum I went on - frankly, it was pretty boring seeing what other humans ate (especially when they were being far more virtuous than me!) but as this is rat-related it should be more interesting!

It should be useful for new rat owners to see what other people feed, and might also give more experienced rat owners fresh ideas, or just a push to re-evaluate their diets and make sure they're still on track.

If you're feeding a particular food for a particular reason (e.g. age-related, due to illness, or because you've heard it's especially nutritious) then tell us why!

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is interesting, and it might die a quick death! In which case I will slink off and get back under my stone :oops: :lol: . I'm definitely open to any questions, advice or constructive criticism.

All my rats are male, ranging from 11 weeks to two years and over (the majority are 15-16 months) and are fed the shunamite dry mix and far too many yogies. Some are nice and slim, but two or three are pretty overweight, so I have to try and get the balance right so that the greedy piggies can't do themselves too much damage, but the slimmer, less food-motivated ones get enough to eat.

Anyway, I'll start with what I fed last night.....

All the rats had:

peas
some tinned chickpeas
large portion of curly kale
one grape each
a few sunflower seeds (a rare treat)

They usually have one "nice" thing as well - most nights that's nature diet lite, or very occasionally a little avocado, egg, wholemeal bread with a bit of soya marge or olive oil, or some potato or cooked pasta. However as they all had far too many treats yesterday it was just fruit and veg for tea :D .

As all the rats (aside from the babies) are over a year old, I'm trying to cut down on their protein intake.

Peter is old and not very well - he's on an unrestricted and varied diet in an attempt to stimulate his appetite. In addition to the above he had a bowl of various baby foods, some soya pudding, soya yoghurt, a little bit of cat food, and a couple of squares of wholemeal bread with soy margarine.

The kittens were also given some extra protein food (last night it was chunks of cat food).

I try to feed either kale or broccoli every night, which I'm happy with, but they always tend to get peas or sweetcorn too (because I know they love it!). My aim is to cut down on those, and try to introduce a greater variety of vegetables and legumes. I don't usually feed much fruit - in the summer I sometimes feed them berries, otherwise it's just the odd grape, or sometimes some apple or something if I'm low on veg.

Right, I think I've waffled enough!
Ali
:smileyrat: Meredith Elizabeth Jessica
:rainbow:Poppy Lupin Roger Fly Badger Fabio Dan Peter Giles Steely Yeti Brian Dillon Winston Jasper Yoda Ebony Susan Nia Edward Greg Tomsk Joe Penny Bronwen Charlie Naboo Claire Lenny Rebecca Sarah

Metermaid

Post by Metermaid » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:27 pm

Ok...I'll play (as long as we promise to be honest !)

Today my rats have been mostly eating.... honey and nut mini weetabix :oops:

Tinned butter beans..... pine nut kernals (in the treat ball), dried apricots on the kabob (mostly ignored)....some curly kale

and.....later will be getting 2-3 Good boy choc drops each before bedtime.

All in addition to Shunamite diet.
Rita
:smileyrat: Dudley, Dennis :baby: Moses, Archie, Zachary,Phoenix & Fox
:dumboteen: Boots, Bear
:rainbow: Gerald, Digby, Splash, Stripe, Pugsley, Max, Chester, Pogle, Toby & Teddy, Mr Pob, Barnaby, Donny, Jeffrey, Milo, Merlin, Derek

Lucy

Post by Lucy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:59 pm

Ok, mine have had:

a yoggie each
a choccy drop each
a red grape each
a bowl of homemade fruit smoothie

A few nights ago they had some spinach as well, and at the weekend they got oats-so-simple.
Juniper :girly: and Oskar say HI!
Gone: Nuggets, Whispa, SPG, Pickles, Dingbat (Dingers), Ruby, Bisbee, Daisy, Lodi, Kimberley, Nyala, Madeleine and Bodie :rainbow:

julieszoo

Post by julieszoo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:03 pm

It's corn on the cob night here, and the kittens have lactol and emp with tuna as well (looks foul but they love it)
Julie and the Viking Vermin at Valhalla Rats

"Many have forgotten this truth but you must not forget it.
We remain responsible forever for what we have tamed."

ali67

Post by ali67 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:22 pm

Aha, already one of my concerns is being borne out! I often wonder if I give them too much fresh food (it probably adds up to a 60/40 ratio of dried/fresh food rather than Tabirats recommended 80/20) and too much variety (meaning they eat more). It's a habit I got into when my first rats years ago would hardly eat their dried mix (now I know why - it was Reggie!) so I gave them lots of fresh food instead.

My rats are now on the Shunamite diet so eat plenty of dried food, but I still give them lots of fresh! I don't worry so much about the older, fatter boys as I don't think it hurts them to have plenty of veg as long as they're still eating enough mix. It might even keep their weight down a bit. I don't want the babies to miss out on nutrients though - they already get very excited over their fresh food (especially peas!) and I worry that their little tummies will get too full on that and stop them from eating enough dried mix.

I think I'll cut down on the veg etc. for a while until they get bigger.
Ali
:rainbow:Poppy Lupin Roger Fly Badger Fabio Dan Peter Giles Steely Yeti Brian Dillon Winston Jasper Yoda Ebony Susan Nia Edward Greg Tomsk Joe Penny Bronwen Charlie Naboo Claire Lenny Rebecca Sarah

Sparkles

Post by Sparkles » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:30 pm

I never know whether I feed my gang too much or too little,they always eat all of their fresh apart from the girls are not so keen on their meat,and hardly ever finish their dry mix.So does that mean they need more? Today they had for breakfast a grape and piece of buttered toast each and for tea,spagetti,peas,sweetcorn,egg and some ham.
x Sparkles x

:girly: Blossom x

Sparkles Jnr,Tashy,Angel,Kimmy,Misty,Sooty,Comet,Cupid,Jackie,Star,Bailey, Luna & Lily :rainbow: Sweet dreams my darlings x x

ali67

Post by ali67 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:43 pm

Sparkles, what dry mix do you feed?

I think you might be making the same mistake as I used to - at first (years ago) I fed Reggie, which the rats didn't like. They mainly just ate fresh food. Then I switched to PAH nuggets, which were well recieved, but I also carried on feeding the kinds of fresh foods I did with my first bunch - like you, lots of tasty things like egg, spaghetti etc at each meal. They just filled up on that.

Now I give the shunamite diet, which they love because it's varied (though they always prefer their fresh food!) and only give veg and one "nice" thing for dinner. They definitely eat more of their mix nowadays - they normally finish most of it off.
Ali

Metermaid

Post by Metermaid » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:55 pm

I am trying to be really tough and leave the scraps at the bottom of the dry mix bowl - I went out this morning leaving three 1/3 full bowls of 'bits' you know, grain, odd bits of cereal etc - I felt so mean not topping up with the new stuff....nice big chunks of past and cereal - but I know they should eat all of it - and hey presto by the time I got home there was only a bit of chaff left ! - now they are tucking into nice big bowls of SD mix and I feel exonerated !
Rita
:smileyrat: Dudley, Dennis :baby: Moses, Archie, Zachary,Phoenix & Fox
:dumboteen: Boots, Bear
:rainbow: Gerald, Digby, Splash, Stripe, Pugsley, Max, Chester, Pogle, Toby & Teddy, Mr Pob, Barnaby, Donny, Jeffrey, Milo, Merlin, Derek

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:40 pm

Metermaid wrote:I am trying to be really tough and leave the scraps at the bottom of the dry mix bowl

That's what I do a lot and feel guilty everytime. If they haven't finished it I just wait until they do!

Tonight mine had cooked tricolor and wholewheat pasta with a mashed tomato mixed in, peas, sweetcorn, and chickpeas, some herbs from the garden and a load of garlic (I'm trying to help them fight off an infection!) and a teeny bit of olive olive to stick it all together and a mix of carrot, apple and broccoli on the kabob.

Last night they had cubed raw celery, cubed apple, cubed raw carrot, cubed raw broccoli, cubed raw garlic, cubed raw onion, some hemp, sunflower and pumpkin seeds all mixed together with some seaweed and herbs sprinkled on. That went down very well and it smelt amazing! Although they smelt of broccoli this morning :sickrat:

The night before they had a brown and wild rice salad thing with cooked peas, harricot beans, aduki beans, chickpeas, pinto beans and kidney beans and sweetcorn.

The night before that they had some plain cooked chicken wings, just enough that they would all get a bit without anyone pigging out too much! I left some of the skin on and they love the bones. I think they enjoy the toy value of them and the little bit of work they involve, it's not like lapping up soup! They also had some dandelions and curly kale and a bit of banana on their kabob.

Other fresh food includes: cous cous made with a little garlic infused olive oil with peas and sweetcorn mixed in. That one is a favourite. Stews with chunky veg and rice or pasta (if I'm having that for my dinner!). Soups. Smooties. Plain homemade popcorn. Naturediet. Bread with olive oil. Pasta or rice with homemade sauces. White meat and fish. Low fat yoghurt. Basically anything I can think up! I love cooking for them as I can mix unusual flavours and they love it! They get some kind of veg everyday. I don't use salad veggies often though and I vary the colours they get as much as possible as the colour of a fruit or veg is an indicator of the antioxidants and nutrients it contains. So the more different colours eaten the more different antioxidants and nutrients!

Special treat fresh foods include: Scrambled egg. Pasta with avocado, onions, garlic, seaweed, carrot and lean unsomoked organic bacon. Bowls of fruit salad type things. Stir fried vegetables. Omlets. A bit of cheese. Yoggies. Little dog treat bone things. Or just a bowl of frozen blueberries, they LOVE that!

The only thing I would change really is to make sure I eat as well as they do.....
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Sparkles

Post by Sparkles » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:00 pm

Wow purple goddess92...your ratties menu sounds fantastic...I can never think of anything different for a change for them..but you have given me some good ideas,thanks.
Ali67 my guys dry mix is reggie rat with pah nuggets,mixed dry fruit and veg,pasta and cereals....but maybe they know their big bowl of fresh is coming each day,I dunno! They have got two bowls of dry mix in the cage tho so maybe thats why too!! They do tend to eat their nuggets,pasta and cereals first and kinda just pick at the rest!! Fussy bunch!!lol
x Sparkles x

:girly: Blossom x

Sparkles Jnr,Tashy,Angel,Kimmy,Misty,Sooty,Comet,Cupid,Jackie,Star,Bailey, Luna & Lily :rainbow: Sweet dreams my darlings x x

preciousandpearly

Post by preciousandpearly » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:35 pm

Lol purplegoddess it sound slike you have little dignitaries staying at your house! Mind you i'm probs not far from the truth!

The boys are getting corn on the cob and some chicken bones tonight and a choccie drop each (small ones for sirius and rubeus the big fatties) as well as their shunamite mix.
8) Laura

:smileyrat:: Skif and Foxy :baby:: Button, Wolf and Piebald (AKA Pie).

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:58 pm

preciousandpearly wrote:Lol purplegoddess it sound slike you have little dignitaries staying at your house! Mind you i'm probs not far from the truth!

They certainly behave like they rule the world..... :lol:
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

oblivious

Post by oblivious » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:23 pm

Mine just got curly kale tonight as, like you Ali, I often feel they get more fresh food than the 20% recommended so I'm trying to cut it down!

This past week they've had:

EMP with brocolli, cauliflower and carrot in it (for the babies really but the older girls are far from fat so they tuck in as well)
Some Hi Life tuna cat food (again really for the babies)
Cooked pasta with carrot and a bit of olive oil
Couscous with kale and peas

Other things that crop up in their menu:

Curly Kale
Grapes, apple, avocado, pear, banana, peas
Soya yoghurt
The savoury baby foods
Tuna in spring water
Naturediet
Tubs of cress but they're more for the play value really
Bread with olive oil and garlic (coat and immune system)

I've recently started sprinkling seaweed powder onto their fresh food as it's supposed to be good for their coats etc. I must say their fur has been so much softer since I've started doing it but I may be imagining it! They also get a pinch of garlic powder as they won't touch it in any other form and it's good for the immune system.

I really must start bringing legumes into the picture though, they never really get beans and things!
Fiona

:girly: Poppy :girly: Harmony :girly: Muddy
:rainbow: Cleo :rainbow: Amelia :rainbow: Faith :rainbow: Aurora :rainbow: Talia :rainbow: Ophelia :rainbow: Maya :rainbow: Arith

the tourist

Post by the tourist » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:39 am

hi, first off, what is emp and pah nuggets?
the pet shops here are *please do not swear*, they more or less have nothing for rats. i can't even find yoghurt drops anywhere.
what is the shumanite diet?

i feel guilty my rat's diet seems really bad compared to everyone elses.
today they've had broccili, macaroni, pumpkin and corn baby food, a grape, a little cat food, one or two pepitas and sunflower seeds, later on they'll have a little boiled egg.
none of my rats have ever eaten any of the dry mixes available, they just are not interested. iwish they would.

Holly

Post by Holly » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:16 am

This is very interesting - especially for a newbie like myself! My two boys are 8 weeks old (today!) and they eat LOADS being growing lads.

Every morning I give them a bowl of Shunamite Diet mix, a bowl of "baby food" which is Vitalin mixed with EMP and a little tepid water and a portion of fresh greens (curly kale today).

In the evening when I get home there will only be the bits they are less keen on from the Shunamite Diet left.

I then give them a portion of fresh food which is usually an ingredient from my own meal (last night it was chick peas - I had aubergine and chick pea curry - but tonight it will be a chicken wing cooked especially for them as I am vegetarian). By morning everything has almost completely gone apart from chaff.
Holly

:love: Benoit
:rainbow: Sebastian :rainbow: Harvey :rainbow: Shamus :rainbow: Oliver :rainbow: Giles :rainbow: Louis :rainbow: Henri :rainbow: Seth