Ferplast Jenny Cage

Permanent accomodation, holiday cages, hospital cages, carriers.
K8 Ratties

Ferplast Jenny Cage

Post by K8 Ratties » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:35 pm

The Dimensions are:

Dimensions: 80cm x 50cm x 79.5cm

The cage comes with chrome plated bars.

The narrow chrome bars (bars are 1.4mm in diameter) are approx. 1cm apart to ensure that even young rats can't escape. The cage can be opened on top by a large door and at the front and back by a small door.

The floor space is big enough for older rats and there is a nice amount of height for active ratties.

Access for cleaning is good as you simply remove the metal top of the cage to clean out the plastic base. Fixing the furnishings is quite difficult as you can't seem to get your arms in at the right angle! It's a good idea with this cage to Plastikote it before it rusts and stains. Also it holds smells if not coated!

This cage can cause problems if you have chewers as they seem to go for the corners of the plastic base!

Typically the cage comes with a drinking bottle,a ferplast ladder, 2 feeding bowls, 2 Ferplast platforms, straight pipe, curved pipe.

It takes a maximum of 5 rats! (the selling info says 6 - but it really doesn't fit 6!)

It's a relatively expensive cage around £100 - £130, but i really liked the Jenny en route to my Explorer.
K8 Ratties
Girls: Hollie, Bree, Lilly, Lavender, Luna, Ivana, Pippa, Heidi & Georgie
Boys: Reggie Rocket, General Jester Squidge, Todd, Kai, Lewis & Murray
"We remain responsible forever for what we have tamed."

aquajen9

Re: Ferplast Jenny Cage

Post by aquajen9 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:50 pm

The picture above shows a very basic layout of what you can do with this cage. The wine rack helps to demonstrate its size.

I have had several of these cages in the past, usually because noone else wants them! I find that the cage design is generally poor.

Anyone wishing to purchase one of these cages should be willing to paint, or powder coat the bars, as they are uncoated and rust quickly. There is a large door in the top of the cage, and a small door in the front, and on the back (?!). I found that practicalities meant that it was necessary to add another door onto the front of this cage.

The plastic base is deep, and reasonably durable. The shelves and tubes that come with this cage are both very good, and enable you to be flexible about positioning.

Even with it's downsides, I will still happily use this cage once modified.

I give it 3 rats. :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

caz07

Post by caz07 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:33 pm

The Jenny has bad accsess and i find can only be improved by adding a large door on the front of the cage.

Plasticoke or japlack are essentialy

Also the bars are flimsy and snap easy

The shelves and tunnels are great

Nice size

3 rats ratting for a standard un moddifed jenny :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:
Owned By My girls Holly,Roxy and (miss Rat) and Barney,Boris and Huxley
Never forgetting my Ginger (28/12/08), Cookie,Chess (02/05/09) Rata-Chewy(18/8/09) Domino,Whiskas,Basil. Ratimus, Paws, Queenie,Noel
Rest in peace my babies you are sadly missed

paulmapp8306

Post by paulmapp8306 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:05 pm

Providing you can put in big doors, and coat the bars its fine. It was my first cage, and since Ive been through a Samo 82, and a Freddy 2.

They Jenny is bigger than the Freddy (though that was a better quality cage IMO) and smaller than the Samo. I didnt think the bars were an issue on the Jenny - the Samo is much worse.

I now have a Furet Tower for my 7, but still have the Jenny as my spare/hospital/iso cage.
Paul and my Big boys - Edmund, Percy, and Henry. My Babies Marmite, Badger, Charlie and Smudge. RIP Baldrick.

MarieM

Post by MarieM » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:05 pm

I had 3 girls in it and liked the size although the rusting is an issue. It's in the garage now waiting for modification and bar coating.

Rating :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sat May 02, 2009 1:38 am

i think this CAGE itself is EXTREMELY poor in both price (new) and design. however its not ALL bad and is a good size home for up to four rats but would more than comfortably suit a pair through their lifetime. its nice to look at in soft gray/green and comes with a number of accessories that would cost approximately £40 to buy seperately. its small enough to fit on a table or surface, and large enough to place on the floor and not be a hazard. its easily available and can be found in most pet stores. and its one of the few cages specifically designed for rats so you dont have to rat proof it first. however i would certainly never buy one and below i have made a detailed review of why.

PRICE. :angryrat: :angryrat: :angryrat: :angryrat: :angryrat:
My local retailers stock this cage at approx £110 (however i have seen it online for up to £180 and for less at £90. in my opinion and you can get far bigger and better quality for marginal price difference. the similarly sized Abode (17 cm taller but otherwise the same size) retails at half the price at £60, and for example by comparison the explorer and savic royal suit at more than twice the size and quality retail at about £140. on this fact alone i know where i would prefer to spend my money. i have used comparisons here purely to show what you can get for your money and how over priced the jenny is.

in my opinion when you pay for this cage you are paying for the added extras such as the 2 shelves, ladder, Straight tunnel, Curved tunnel, 2 metal food bowls and a water bottle....sold seperatly retail at approximately £40 according to my local retailers (in which case if they took out all the stuff the cage would be £70 and slighter larger, better quality abode, that comes with a single shelf, ladder and hammock is stil cheaper)

DESIGN and FUNCTIONALITY :angryrat: :angryrat: :angryrat: :angryrat: :angryrat:
i have linked these together as the way the cage was designed has a direct impact on what it is like to use in an everyday situation. The bar spaceing on this cage is good and poses no risk of rats squeezing through, the litter pan base is good and deep and lessens the amount of litter being thrown out. it is also a nice soft grey colour, and matches well with the supplied accesories when set up it is very nice to look at and its light and portable. while this cage is of good size it does little to offset the weeknesse of the overall design, the doors are tiny, just big enough to get your hand with a food bowl in, and harder to get your hand with a rat in it out. the possitioning of doors is also less than ideal, bottom right on the front and back and off centre on one side, there is also one on the roof(slightly bigger. yes there are lots of doors but they make access to hang up enrichment neer impossible its best to lift it off its base and up end it. also catching a skittish rat that doesnt come to the door is very hard as it can easily move to were your arms cannot reach. the wire is also not coated and is prone to rust and if frequently urinated apon it gets almost imposible to clean.

SIZE :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:
this cage is a great size and houses between 2 and 4 rats very comfortably, its light and easily portably. and has lots of room to hang enrichment.

QUALITY :smileyrat:
the Plastic base and accesories supplied are good quality, thick and durable. this is good enough quality cage probably to last the lifetime of your rats but if you want to use this repeatedly its not going to last very long at all as previously mentioned the metal is uncoated and prone to rust it is also fairly soft and if someone were to lean or fall against it it will easily bend out of shape or snap. the doors through frequent use also snap and rust at both the hinge and the catch, and the bar that supports the catch snaps off with frequent use.

PACKAGE :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:
it comes with lots of added extras such as the afore mentioned ladder, shelves, bottle, tubes,dishes.

SUMMERY

this is a good cage for first its size and will comfortable house up to four rats. it nice to look at and unobtrusive in a room despite its size. i like the added extra's. all this means its a good cage for a first time rattie owner with a pair as with the added extras you can set it up and just add rats. however for me personally this cage is jsut too awkward for every day use. its not designed to last and the price is far too much for compared to whats on offer else where. i would never buy this cage and those i know that have spent a lot of time and money making adjustments to the doors, cutting new ones mainly and coating the metal to counter rust. and if i'm going to spend that amount of money on something i dont want to be spending time fixing its flaws. to me this cage its like buying really nice spaciouse car, leather interior and all the trimmings but its got no paint on and the only doors being the sunroof and boot

overall i give this cage :smileyrat:

NOTE; i recently learned ferplast have redesigned the Jenny...the "new Jenny" is the same in all respects except has black coated bars and the sides are supported by aluminium tubes to give it the strenght it needed but somewhat takes away from the esthetics and make it look bulky and cumbersome it has a larger door in the bottom of the front and still the door in the roof. solving my main concerns with the jenny.it also has the same added extras however at present the new jenny is hard to come by as shops are getting rid of the old jenny P@H reduced price to £79 (this still couldnt tempt me to one)in my opinion when the new jenny is relesed it will be more than the price of the old jenny...but i havent seen them priced yet.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Phoenix262

Post by Phoenix262 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:39 pm

The Jenny Cage is the first proper cage that we got for our rats (the first two we had were much too small):
Pros:
Large size - all five of our female rats live in it with no problems and I'd argue that as long as the rats are quite small (like ours) that it could easily look after a sixth rat too.
Cleaning - It takes a bit of time but because everything is easy to take apart and doesn't take more than a bit of soap and a scrub its quite easy to clean.
Access - I personally have no problems with the access as there is a smaller door on either side so it doesn't matter which way I put it after cleaning and the larger door on the top is very useful.
Diverse - you can do a lot with this cage with just the shelves and tubes it comes with. So with extra hammocks and toys you can give it a new enviroment everytime to keep rats entertained.
Food/water storage - I think is clever and easy access as long as you keep the bowls close to the doors.

Cons:
Bars - We got the cage without the knowledge that we should have coated the bars with something and as a result they are starting to rust and has become awkward to keep clean - we will probably have to buy an entire new cage in the next year for this reason.
Reassembling - I mentioned it was easy to take apart but its not so easy to put back together again. You need to be at quite an awkward angle to get the shelves reattached if you want to get them high up in the cage.
Price: We got this cage for £112 which is a little on the pricey side. I think £75 -£80 would have been more suitible.

Overall I have been very happy with this cage and would reccomend it to other first time rat owners. BUT make sure you do something about the bars as this will probably make the cage last longer and be more worth the £100 you may have to spend on it.

I give it: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:

!anna!

Post by !anna! » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm

I recently got this cage second hand for £40 including a courier.

Have to say the access is awful for hanging cage furniture, very frustrating so a large door would be a good modification. Access for cleaning the base is good as the whole metal part of the cage lifts off easily.
As far as I know the person who owned this cage first had it around 18 months, and I've had it about a month. It's untreated with plastikote or similar and has not yet rusted. The metal's in really good condition actually, so it does seem possible to keep these cages going for quite a while. Once it starts to rust (assuming it will) I'll give it a coat.

The shelves and tubing it comes with are very good and the tubes are plenty big enough for even fat rats to get through no trouble. They're thick plastic and would withstand some chewing, as would the plastic base. The base is deep enough to avoid too much kicking out of substrate.

The cage is currently housing 6 bucks - 4 of whom are verrrrry tiny babies, and they'll all be moved into a bigger home as soon as the young ones are big enough to go in a cage with slightly bigger bar spacing. I'd say it could hold 3-4 adult bucks comfortably, and maybe a few more girls.

Overall I think it's a decent cage but it really doesn't compare to something like the SRS or the Explorer.

I'm giving it: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:
Currently a slave to - Jack, Viktor, Bill, Ben, Monty and Harry

:halo: Toby, Alex, Bobby and Charlie, :dumbohalo: Tom, Oscar, Sid, Olly, Boris and Theo

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:53 pm

I wasn't fond of my Jenny. The doors were too small, and in the wrong places making hanging hammocks and toys difficult. The bars were uncoated, and the previous owner had used it as a tempory cage for ferrets, so when I got bought it it stank. The smell disappeared with scrubbing, but it would be a much better cage if it was coated to begin with. It was a lovely size though. I had 3 girls in it, and I would of been happy putting another in there. The bar spacing was nice and small, so even tiny rats couldn't of squeezed out. In the end, I sold it as the rats had chewed holes in each corner and replaced it with the Abode, which I like much better.

I give it: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

Tassarella

Post by Tassarella » Sat May 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Price: I bought my Jenny 2 years ago for £90 (it was on offer in my pet store). This I thought was a reasonable price given its size and accessories

Size: Its a large cage and I happily have 5 females in there at the moment. I did have a sixth in there although once they were all in I thought it was a little cramped and am happier with the space now that there are 5.

Good points: The water bottle was very good and lasted 18 months before it needed replacing. The tunnels are all of a nice quality and very much enjoyed by my ratties. I didn't like the metal bowls though so they have been replaced. The base is deep so you don't get too much bedding being kicked out, although of course there is still some especially if you are like me and put loads of bedding in. The bars are well spaced and have caused no problems for either my young or adult rats. It has lasted me well :)

Bad points: I've seen accessibility quoted as an issue but for putting the food in or handling the rats I have had no issue. However putting in the shelves, hammocks, tunnels and other toys can be difficult. I find the easiest way is to turn the metal cage over and attach them from that angle. The bars have just started to rust now which is annoying. I didn't know that they should be coated when I first got rats and the Jenny. Hopefully this shouldn't be too much of a problem. Whilst it is generally easy to clean it can be difficult getting anything that has been squished into the base off due to the ridges.

Overall I would give the Jenny :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: but I think there are better value cages out there.
:dumbogirly: Peaches, Tinkerbelle, Willow, Daisy, FuzzyBella :hearts:
:dumbo: Sausages :love:

:dumborainbow: Mali, Boo, Bailey, Mumbles, Tiger-Lily, Noodles :dumborainbow: :love: :hearts:

msmara

Post by msmara » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm

I recently acquired a Jenny, my "upgrade" from a Freddy 2. Personally I think the Freddy's way better quality

+ Positives
- Good size: I have 2 boys in it at the mo & they look drowned!! There's loads of space for running around (wasted on my inactive boys!)
-Accessories: Accessories that come with are brilliant, worth quite a bit on their own. The shelves are easy to move around & it comes with curved tubes & a straight tube which the boys love.
-the tray is really good quality, quite deep. I dropped it down the stairs & not a crack :roll: :lol:
-Negatives
-The frame is weak, the bars are so easy to bend & rust really easily
-Quite expensive for what it is
-The doors are in awkward places so it's a pain (unless you're double jointed) to put all the accessories & stuff inside

I like it, but knowing it now, I wouldn't pay for it.
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow: