Samo 82

Permanent accomodation, holiday cages, hospital cages, carriers.
Rose's Mischief

Samo 82

Post by Rose's Mischief » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:34 pm

Marchioro Samo 82
Measurements - 32 1/4" x 20 1/4" x 46 1/4" high / 82cm x 51cm x 117cm high

very good cage, cheap for how large it is. Cage calculator says it can hold up to 8 rats.
It comes with a few cheap plastic shelves, a dingy looking water bottle and a plastic food bowl. These can be replaced easily with loads of ropes/hammocks/tubes etc, as the shelves don't hold larger bucks very well.

Bars are small enough for young rats, and are rust proof. Also the tray is high enough so no bedding ends up on the floor :D

All round brilliant cage, also is flat-pack so easy to transport!

My rating (in dumbos - like my two ratties!): :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo:
:dumbo:Puck(16m) :dumbo:Hugo(13m) :dumbo:Troy(14m)
RIP Franco, Gareth, Fantoosh, Stuart, Mr Quin, Chestnut, Mincemeat, Jonah, Barnaby, and Harvey :dumbohalo:
Rats aren't for everyone ... they're very picky.

paulmapp8306

Re: Samo 82

Post by paulmapp8306 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:02 pm

Only downsides are the bars are pretty flimsey - they snap very easily.

Also the "welds" between vertical an horizontal bars can come undone - especially at the doors.

I have mine for 9 months though before it got replaced by a furet tower. Good cage for the money though if you need the space. If you dont (say for 3 Rats) I think there are better out there for the same money.
Paul and my Big boys - Edmund, Percy, and Henry. My Babies Marmite, Badger, Charlie and Smudge. RIP Baldrick.

RattusRattus

Post by RattusRattus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:54 am

paulmapp8306 wrote:Only downsides are the bars are pretty flimsey - they snap very easily.

Also the "welds" between vertical an horizontal bars can come undone - especially at the doors.

I have mine for 9 months though before it got replaced by a furet tower. Good cage for the money though if you need the space. If you dont (say for 3 Rats) I think there are better out there for the same money.

I find this cage very sturdy, and it has taken repeated removing/attaching of cage accessories with only a few scratches, and no breakages whatsoever.

I find it very hard to imagine the bars snapping easily, as they are very strong.

I also think that the more room you can give your rats, the better, and so even if I only had 3 rats, I'd still recommend and use this cage above others.

My Rating :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat: :smileyrat:

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:46 pm

A thing to add is the model shown in the picture is the old version. The newer versions doors have been replaced with small ones which look like they make access terrible.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Rose's Mischief

Post by Rose's Mischief » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:57 am

From personal experience, and discussing with others, I have found that the new Samo has perfectly adequate access, and after using other cages such as Ferplast Jenny, the access to clean/etc on the Samo is fine.

Also, my boys subject the bars to a lot of stress, and they have taken this very well, with no weakening or breakages. They seem to be very sturdy, and the fact that it is also flatpack means it is practical too.

:dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo: :dumbo:
:dumbo:Puck(16m) :dumbo:Hugo(13m) :dumbo:Troy(14m)
RIP Franco, Gareth, Fantoosh, Stuart, Mr Quin, Chestnut, Mincemeat, Jonah, Barnaby, and Harvey :dumbohalo:
Rats aren't for everyone ... they're very picky.