Help!!

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
lilymybabyx

Help!!

Post by lilymybabyx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Please help me.
I got four dumbo rats almost a week ago now. The guy at the pet shop told me they were all boys but the past couple of night i have been woken up by two of them "mating" at first i thought they were just play fighting, then i read some stuff about males mounting each other to prove dominance but today they have been curled up in their bed asleep together while the others run about and play. I checked some pages on telling the sex of a rat, i can tell the one that is on top is definitely a male but I'm not so sure about the other. I really don't know what to do.
I need some help!

lisa_wadsworth

Re: Help!!

Post by lisa_wadsworth » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:01 pm

it should be pretty obvious if they are boys. rats have visible testicles from 3 weeks old. if you post some pics though im sure we could tell you
Agnes, Perdy, Angel and Ivy my girlys
Running free at the bridge together Rosie, Toxie, Brian, Peaches, Twyla, Rincewind, Luggage, Holly, Molly, Millie, Crispy and Belle, :rainbow:

chixiethepixie

Post by chixiethepixie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Wet their tummys with water-if they are male then they wont have nipples
Do not pm me unless its a matter of life or death
You cant polish a poo
you wouldn't go streaking down the street and not expect people to look at your jibbly bits :wink:

lilymybabyx

Post by lilymybabyx » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Thanks for the advice, i checked again and I'm pretty sure they're both boys but can any-one tell me why they are doing that then? thanks x

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:56 pm

As with a lot of animals, rats can mount eachother to assert dominance - i.e. it's a form of powerplay :)
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

Slim

Post by Slim » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:24 pm

i have ten clearly male rats in total but one of the boys is always humping one of the others but noone else. the one being humped is lifting his tail, im well confused as i have not seen this before. they are definately both male because the both have very large testicles, there is no aggression at all in fact they get on very well apart from that. has anyone got any suggestions??
Slim - Proud parent to George, Larry, Winston, William, Charles and Alfie xXx

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Some of my boys seem to only like humping one of the other males in particular, ive no idea why its always the same rat but always thought that maybe that rat was the lower ranking in the cage hierachy (i cant spell :-? ) because he didnt really kick up a fuss about it.
Oh and they love to hump the neutered boys too, its a good job they gained some patience when they lost some nads lol

sabrinasky

Post by sabrinasky » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:37 am

lisa_wadsworth wrote:it should be pretty obvious if they are boys. rats have visible testicles from 3 weeks old. if you post some pics though im sure we could tell you

I can understand the confusion some times, in my last litter I got to the stage of separating the sexes then suddenly one who had been a doe dropped a pair if testicles, not funny.
What was funny is that kitten who suddenly grow testicles LOL is just too pretty for a buck and a bit pertite for a buck too, so weird.

Jan X

fern

Post by fern » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:30 pm

noone ever considers that they might just be gay :lol: hahah

but yeah its probably just a dominance thing, and if they are still young its probably just playfull messing around :)

x
Mouse <3
R.I.P:misty,ronnie,roxy,munch,magic,shadow,angel,volta,roger,jack, luna <3 daisy,bluebell,izzy,bella,ebony,minnie,blue,gaz,jonny, milka,