Appeal for Homes!

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
philosophyfox

Re: Appeal for Homes!

Post by philosophyfox » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:29 pm

I have to wait for a new job to be confirmed before I can officially apply for some oldies I'm interested in :( I think for me anyway, I've been inclined to go for younger rats with the intention of introducing them to existing rats. Once it worked, once it didn't, so now I'm more focused on giving rats homes and worrying about them integrating at a later point.

To be honest, I think there needs to be a big wake up call for the UK as a whole as a 'pet loving' nation. I'd like to see a large campaign about pet welfare, and something like Pet Rescue being brought back on the TV. All people seem to care about now are clothes for their dogs, fancy cat collars and colour co-ordinate rat cages (no offence). A real gritty reflection on what, as humans, we do and inflict upon our animal companions needs to be highlighted. Not only do people need to be educated on where their animals come from, they need to know how to care for them and think about whether they willl always be able to take care of them.

It's not completely unknown that I'm an abolitionist when it comes to animal use in society, however I know it's not just going to 'go away'. But as a society we've hit a standstill regarding animal welfare. Just over 10 years ago you couldn't turn the TV on without some kind of show like Vets in Practice, Animal Hospital and Pet Rescue being on, now you are lucky if a vet programme doesn't just focus on happy stories with loving owners. We should work to educate people and organisations about pet welfare. It doesn't help that the RSPCA are pretty lame and that the current welfare laws don't really stand up in court at the best of times. And when someone does get 'prosecuted' what is the punishment? 2 years from keeping animals? £800 fine? It's laughable; and depressing.
Moth :dumbo: Slug :dunce: Bug :smileyrat: Grub :smileyrat:
Missing: Ziggy Tribble Fiver Gumbo Rowdy Hige Toboe Tate Lyle Steven Daisy Crunchie Gaelan

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 pm

I'm glad and has pointed out the GMR thing,

I felt so bad when i was asked by my vet if i could help rehome some boys because i just know atm my numbers (and ages) of my crew meant that i really didnt want to take more on, no because im mean or anything i so would have loved to take some of these poor boys home, but i dont want to end up in a position where i cant give the animals the care or love they need :(

Its so sad atm that everywhere is so full and saturated with animals :(

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:38 am

hedgeweasel wrote: but i dont want to end up in a position where i cant give the animals the care or love they need :(

Yes thats my feeling to, I have rats that have cost me literally thousands of pounds at the vets. They are really expensive pets. Now I know I can afford that sort of thing for the guys I have atm but I certainly couldnt afford it if 20 of them needed that sort of care. I would hate to be in the position where I would have to pts because I couldnt afford to treat and thats why i wont put myself in it. Fosters can run up massive vets bills as well (although some rescues will pay. But the same with GMR I will only take them on if i know I can afford them at the time. I just dont want to be in the position where I cant give them the best be that vetbills, housing, food, attention. I'm just not prepared to compramise.

Maybe thats not the best choice. There is a pretty good argument for spending the money you have on helping the most number of animals as you can and I can genuinly understand why some rescues do prioratise say dogs that are easy to home if it means they can help more animals in the long run. But i am not a rescue I am a pet owner and although I am always willing to foster/ take rescues / do transport runs where I can. I want to put my rats, the rats I love first.
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:41 am

hedgeweasel wrote:I'm glad and has pointed out the GMR thing,

Although it may result in less rescues being homed because people are afraid of being jumped on about it? I hope not, but I can't help thinking this will happen.

Anyway, on a related note -

I'd very much like to thank the person spreading rumours about me as I am most flattered that they seem so very interested in myself and my rats yet too shy to admit who they are (how sweet, really :wink:) - and advise them to drop me a PM detailing the horrors they've seen in my rattery :) If not I'll assume they're just unfounded malicious rumours.

kthx :)
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:55 am

Jembean wrote:

Although it may result in less rescues being homed because people are afraid of being jumped on about it? I hope not, but I can't help thinking this will happen.

I think its a balance Jem If people want / have time to offer rescues a home then I think thats wonderful, but at the same time I would hate to see people think they should take on more animals that they want / have time for/ can afford. I know thats certainly not what emma was trying to do when she started this thred, but there have been alot of posts from people saying they feel bad for not being able to home more, or they will try and squeeze them in. I dont think people should take on more rats than they are happy with and I dont think they should feel guilty about not taking anymore either.
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:57 am

I agree with that Ellie (although the kthx was for my mystery stalker :lol:)
Jem, half of Comis Stud - not currently breeding
Don't say the e-word :wink:

Lindz_1983

Post by Lindz_1983 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:18 am

Your very own stalker? I'd be honoured if i was you :lol:

I wish I could take on a lot more animals than I have, and I already have a fair few. I'm taking on another three for a lonely old grump, and thats going to be my lot for a while! The problem I have is a cage of old ladies,coming up to 'that age' none of them with a great start and I'd rather they could have the treatment, but I know when I have more money I'll be taking on more. It seems like I have a lot already (15 rats + another 3 to come) but they really are my life, and *please do not swear* job in an insurance company gives me nothing in terms of well being, and rescuing rats and turning them from scared little things to mental affectiante rats really gives me a good feeling, and knowing that they could have missed out on that love. I dont know whether thats a good reason or not, but its my reason! when people are shocked at the amount of money i spend on them, and then spend the same that I spend on a vets visit on a bottle of shampoo i feel a little stupiefied. i know what i'd rather spend my money on...

Sorry mini rant!
13 rats, 3 degu, 1 hammy, 1 puss cat love you all!
Rip all those who have passed..Will miss you foreverxxx

chrisratty

Post by chrisratty » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:48 am

The same for me....I've 12 lads at the moment all happily living together in one cage & as it happens I really havn't the room for anymore cages...so as much as I'd love to help more rats at the moment I've got as many as I can cope with time wise & financially. I'm a full time carer for my husband as well as having a dog & 4 cats, so it can be hard fitting in everything...but I do & my lads have 2 hrs free range time at least every evening plus lots of individual "me time"...I di find when my number crept up to 18 at the end of last year I was finding it hard to cope with that number. So whilst I feel guilty I can't take any more rats...deep down i know I am right sticking to the numbers which suit me better. but when my numbers drop I'll certainly take on some rescues.

Sorry Emma wish I could help....& I'm not just saying that :(

chris xx
Member of the RTCC...(Ratty Tower Cage Club)

Rattie Mum to Stitch,Smudge,Pip,Angel,Loki,Dagr,Bangers,Mash,Mr Podge,Albert,Ralph & Raffles

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:36 pm

SargentEllie wrote:
Jembean wrote:

I think its a balance Jem If people want / have time to offer rescues a home then I think thats wonderful, but at the same time I would hate to see people think they should take on more animals that they want / have time for/ can afford. I know thats certainly not what emma was trying to do when she started this thred, but there have been alot of posts from people saying they feel bad for not being able to home more, or they will try and squeeze them in. I dont think people should take on more rats than they are happy with and I dont think they should feel guilty about not taking anymore either.

yeah we have all seen what happens when people gmr beyound their means, i remember one particular rescue me and ellie and many others were involved in,

anyway this wasnt really what furryfriends was looking for im sure and im sorry for going ot :)

FurryFriends

Post by FurryFriends » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:51 am

Its fine.

I think it is important that people only take on what they can cope with and what is within their means.

I would hate it if I were to take on a stupid amount of animals that I could not financially deal with. The ones in my care at the moment are my priority,not the ones waiting to come in.

Emma

andybhoy

Post by andybhoy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:35 pm

FurryFriends wrote:Its fine.

I think it is important that people only take on what they can cope with and what is within their means.

I would hate it if I were to take on a stupid amount of animals that I could not financially deal with. The ones in my care at the moment are my priority,not the ones waiting to come in.

Emma

I just wanted to quote this, to underline it. It is well said and pretty much what I wanted to get across, but from the rescue's point of view in this case. Everyone should be comfortable with how many animals they have - and if they're at their limits, be it rescue or home, then they are at their limits and should never feel bad for not taking on more. If people take on too many, the standard has to slip for the existing animals (especially when finances are involved).

Regarding a point made earlier by another poster, I would be very upset if anyone jumped on anyone for taking rescues on - people should be free and able to set their own limits. It isn't something that the admin team would accept (as jumping on anyone is always dealt with when it's seen or reported).

chixiethepixie

Post by chixiethepixie » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:41 pm

andybhoy wrote:people should be free and able to set their own limits.
This is really important-Some people can cope with 40 and some cant cope with more than 8. People should be considered on the care of their animals not the physical numbers
Do not pm me unless its a matter of life or death
You cant polish a poo
you wouldn't go streaking down the street and not expect people to look at your jibbly bits :wink:

hedgeweasel

Post by hedgeweasel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:55 pm

chixiethepixie wrote:
andybhoy wrote:people should be free and able to set their own limits.
This is really important-Some people can cope with 40 and some cant cope with more than 8. People should be considered on the care of their animals not the physical numbers

i agree, i 'only' have 9 but to me thats more than enough while other people have loads more and thats fine too

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:12 pm

I currently have 19. While I love having this many, it's hard work and it sometimes feels like other things in my life don't get done because I'm busy playing with rats. I guess it doesn't help that I'd rather play with the rats than do DIY ! I need to get my 3 old girls to free range with the other 2 groups of girls and atleast then I'll have only 2 groups to free range so more time for everyone :)
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

tabirat
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by tabirat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:26 pm

i agree, i 'only' have 9 but to me thats more than enough while other people have loads more and thats fine too

I totally agree with this - each person must be free to set their own limits. I would equally say though that those who home rats are also free to set limits on the number of other rats they are willing for their rats to share a home with. While many of us care beautifully for larger numbers I would always respect someone's right to turn me down as a home because they wanted their rats to live in a family with fewer rats. I have shared my life with everything from a pair of rats right the way up to 40 (currently high 20s and aiming for fewer), and I cannot with my hand on my heart say that the 40 got the same individual attention as the pair. So I feel that while owners have the right to choose regarding numbers... so do those who home rats. :)
Love Alison
"Laughter should be life's default setting."
http://www.shunamiterats.co.uk
http://www.neratsociety.co.uk