Any breeders have current litters?

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Rattielover6123

Any breeders have current litters?

Post by Rattielover6123 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:44 pm

Hello all, apologies as I am new to the board.

My name is Julie, and I have been keeping rats for over three years. I have, Since learning of the atrocious ways in which pet-shops acquire their rats, been rescuing. But now I'd like two baby boys to join my pack of five males and although I've already contacted reputable breeders who seem to have waiting lists going over into at least December, I was just wondering if there are any breeders with current litters available unreserved or maybe a pair of bucks that got given back for some reason. I don't mind waiting, I just thought I might as well check to see if there are breeders with rats available sooner as colours/markings etc... aren't important to me. The only thing that matters is that they come from a responsible loving breeder. Also, because I don't mind driving say 3 hours say, to pick them up.

Regards,

Jules

staralfur

Re: Any breeders have current litters?

Post by staralfur » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:50 pm

Hello there and welcome to the forum! I'm afraid unless you're lucky then you may have to be prepared to wait a month or so! Sorry if this doesn't help. :oops:

nette

Post by nette » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:01 pm

where are you from? that may help
love janette x
and all the ratties at Stillyrats Stud

http://www.freewebs.com/stillyrats

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:12 pm

Have you thought about getting rescues?
I think you would be very lucky to find breeder babies ready to go now even with my 2 breeder babies that i reserved after they were born I still need to wait a few weeks until their ild enough to come home. Most breeders have homes lined up even before the babies are born.
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:03 pm

there are a number of breeders who have kittens advertised on the NFRS members only forum - i know this probably isn't a lot of use to you, but if you drop an email to breeders@nfrs.org, we can drop back a copy of the breeders list and you can make a few calls. Without knowing where you are, i can't tell you if anyone advertising on there is anywhere near local or not, so breeders list is probably the best place to start. :)

SpiderMouse

Post by SpiderMouse » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Just seconding Estelle - there seems to have been a spate lately of people going on breeder's waiting lists, then (presumably) getting impatient and going elsewhere before the kittens are ready - for this reason reputable breeders do sometimes have kittens immediately available ;) so it's worth checking the NFRS list out.
Coastboat Rattery - breeding for Ivory, PEW, Badger and Downunder. Based near Portsmouth, Hampshire.

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:34 pm

Advertising available kittens on the forum is not allowed, so breeders won't post here but they might pm you :D
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:44 pm

and there seem to have been quite a few mis-sexing adventures on here too sowatch out for a gazillion forum babies :D
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

gothgirl

Post by gothgirl » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:51 pm

I have PM d u.
gothgirl
and the Roobree'am rattery
moorat@hotmail.co.uk

Sleep tight my little Rufus :halo:

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Having just looked at the photos in the rat farm visit thread (I've always avoided it before - head in the sand and all that) I know I don't want to get a rat from a pet shop again - besides which they were not sociable and after months of work are just beginning to come to me. I adore them but would like to skip straight to the sociable bit next time!

So, I have decided I want to find a local breeder. Am I right in believing that NFRS require breeders to meet certain standards etc?
Rats: Angel & Sapphire. RIP Patrick & Molly xx
Cats: Foggy & Emmett cat angels:Frankie and Joey RIP boys.
EC member (Explorer club) and Tower club member

baz23

Post by baz23 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:55 pm

NFRS breeders do not have to abide by set standards, they are simply breeders who have paid a fee to be included on it. :wink:
Whenever you choose a breeder just make sure you ask questions to find out if they meet the standards which you would expect. :)
Chris and the Urban rats
http://www.freewebs.com/urbanrattery
Breeding towards silver fawn and siamese.

muppettdog

Post by muppettdog » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 am

People do not pay a "fee" to be on the NFRS members list. They have to be paid up members of the NFRS to go on the list.

We do not have the resources or the authority to go around checking everyone out, so anyone who applies to go on the list, stays on the list unless we have sufficient complaint to remove them from it.

As advised, ask lots of questions and make up your own mind about the person you are purchasing your new babies from ;)

L x
Halcyon Rats of Lowestoft Suffolk

http://halcyonrats.weebly.com/

Estelle

Post by Estelle » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:07 am

NFRS have a set of selling guidelines - http://www.nfrs.org/Rat%20Selling%20(Ge ... Guidelines)%20V[1][1].3.pdf and as Lisa said, if we had sufficient complaints about a breeder, the committee would take some action and potentially remove if there were a number of serious complaints and the breeder clearly took no action on being told there had been complaints.

Over the years it has become very noticeable that potential owners do have different levels of ethics and some just see a 'breeder' as a step better than a pet shop, so will probably not actually vet the breeder much (and potentially land themselves in the hands of a BYB because they haven't researched) while others go to extremes to find a breeder that is compatible with every one of their personal ethics and will literally travel the country for them. I think it would be hard to set a 'level' for doing breeder checks if anyone ever decided an organisation should do it as people's ethics do vary and also if someone was visiting to do checks, who's to say the breeder wouldn't 'hide' what they don't want the person checking to see as you couldn't just turn up adhoc and hope they were in, it would have to be booked... (also who would have a suitable 'qualification' to actually do these checks?)

jollup

Re: Looking for two boy rats in the Newcastle area

Post by jollup » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:15 am

Hi,

I am having trouble contacting breeders in the North East who may be able to supply me with two little ratty boys...
I have left various messages and PM'd someone on here, but not even had a response to say they don't have any...

So I am putting a post here in case any breeders in the region are looking at it and might want to get in touch...

Just PM me if you know a good breeder or are a breeder with a litter coming up as I would like to come and visit and hopefully get two little ones to accompany my Bertie. (Coffee was recently deceased... :( )

Thanks...
Coffee :rainbow: R.I.P. Bertie :rainbow: R.I.P.
Jimmy :smileyrat: Rex :smileyrat:

acapae_wolf

Re: Looking for two boy rats in the Newcastle area

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:27 am

jollup wrote:I am having trouble contacting breeders in the North East who may be able to supply me with two little ratty boys...
I have left various messages and PM'd someone on here, but not even had a response to say they don't have any...

most of them will have other things in their lives as well as rats so may not reply immediately - how long has it been? Having said that if you feel enough time has elapsed i'd maybe try the phone contact as well as email :)

if it's an urgent thing for company for a lone rat though, i'd personally look into suitable rescues as well as breeder rats.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on