bleeding :( again

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
choicestgirl

bleeding :( again

Post by choicestgirl » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:58 pm

another of our girls..dotty is bleeding..(2 years old) i am pretty sure it's actually from her vagina..as she so nicely weeeed a bit whilst hanging on the bars.. i saw the wee come out of one spot..and the blood underneath..from the other part ( i think! ) so i think it's pyometra, like in our other rat wepeel (althought the vet did suggest it could be a urinary infection in her) this is the first sign of it i have seen on dotty, she seems happy enough jumping around as usual. as everyone is so ill here at the moment i have some baytril (for hagrid the hamster) i was considering giving some to dotty even though it hasn't been prescribed for her.. i am wondering what effect baytril has, is it an instant ..effect like those instant allergy tablets or is it more gradual like ..for example the one a day allergy tablets? if it is the latter i think i best not give her any incase it's something else..maybe i should just wait and see what the vet says?

any suggestions? i imagine the vet would just say baytril?
is there anything i can do for her now?

thanks
alan, aimsworth and their children; wipeel, jonas, rat, manny, dotty and speedy. and hagrid the hamster too :)

Stace87

Re: bleeding :( again

Post by Stace87 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:12 am

I would wait until she's been to the vets as they may prescribe something other than baytril.

joolzratbag

Post by joolzratbag » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:39 pm

The problem with uterine infections is that any antibiotics may not be 100% effective, the only effective cure is a spay. I had to have my own girl spayed at 10 days short of her 2nd birthday for this reason.Good luck to your girl. x
~Joolz~
Bonny :dumbogirly: Annee :dumbogirly:
RIP all those before them <:3 )~~~
Rat Health

choicestgirl

Post by choicestgirl » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:03 pm

i'm glad you mentioned that! as the first girl to bleed..having had one course of baytril..still bled, and now after the second course, is still bleeding! :|

would this be reason for spaying do you think? do you think it's best even if she is coming up for two years also? thanks
alan, aimsworth and their children; wipeel, jonas, rat, manny, dotty and speedy. and hagrid the hamster too :)