Foster babies - what possible varieties?

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Sara_C

Foster babies - what possible varieties?

Post by Sara_C » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:40 pm

One for all you clever genetics people out there :)

Two rats were found abandoned outside the doors of PAH last week - two dumbo smeezies, one blue point one seal point. Opposite sexes :roll: The female (blue point) was obviously pregnant and gave birth 4 days ago. All 9 babies are healthy and apart from being a little hormonal and nippy mum is doing fine.

So...to save me having to wait another few weeks to find out what varieties the little eepers are (I'm too curious!), what sort of colours could I be expecting? From what I understand, this might be difficult to predict without knowing what variety the 'grandparents' and siblings were. I can see dark skin pigmentation on some of the babies - at least 2 are very dark and have berkie bellies. Another one has lighter pigmentation and looks hooded. The rest seem to be solid colours and look paler, the palest seem to have pink eyes as opposed to ruby or black.

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow if that would help.

Thanks in advance :D
:smileyrat: Fox, Chip :girly: Skyla, Molly
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

http://www.freewebs.com/rainbow-rats

aquajen9

Re: Foster babies - what possible varieties?

Post by aquajen9 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:47 pm

If there are dark pigmented babies, then the siamese boy that was dumped with the siamese girl is not dad. In which case there's no way to know. But probably lots of blacks and maybe some agoutis.
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Solar

Post by Solar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Well siamese is recessive, so two siamese will make all siamese babies and as they're both dumbo then all the babies will be dumbo. whether they'll be seal point or blue is a wait and see game, if mum carries blue then they will be blue and seal point. Markings depends what they are. Both hooded would create all hooded, both berkshire will create hooded, berkshire and self, while a hooded and a berkshire will create hooded and berkshire.

But if there are dark coloured babies, like black and blue then that means the siamese dumbo isn't the dad.
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:41 pm

Thanks for the info. I'd be very surprised if the other rat wasn't the dad - just because I don't understand why they would just dump one male with he. If they had more than one male surely they would either dump them both or just keep the male and dump the mum? Hmmm. They were also a similar age (only about 10 weeks) so my guess is they were bought recently from a pet shop. But there are definitely some dark berkie babies, so I guess the smeeze isn't the dad. I'll take some pics to show you to make sure i'm not seeing things :lol:
:rainbow: Oscar, Link, Giselle, Aurora, Belle, Angel, Moss, Shane, Bruno, Willow, Earl, Mulan, Jet, Crumpet, Luma, Tinkerbell, Basil. Miss you.

Rosie

Post by Rosie » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:57 am

Maybe the pet shop they were bought from had several mixed sex in one cage and the owner just picked out these two, but the female had already been impregnated when they were bought?

Poor little things. :( Good luck with them.
Our rescue rat Freddie (silvered black Berkshire dumbo). Our Ramkin rats Radley (Rex Burmese) and George (RE Siamese).
R.I.P Johnnie.

Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here you might as well dance.

andybhoy

Post by andybhoy » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:37 am

Rosie wrote:Maybe the pet shop they were bought from had several mixed sex in one cage and the owner just picked out these two, but the female had already been impregnated when they were bought?

Poor little things. :( Good luck with them.

It sounds like a female will have been in a cage of males, and both rats sold as male, rather than a male in with females, and both rats sold as female, so I suspect Rosie is right. Hopefilly this is the case, because it'll mean only having one pregnant doe out there, from this particular missexing.

IIRC, does can carry the progeny of more than one buck?

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:41 am

andybhoy wrote:IIRC, does can carry the progeny of more than one buck?

yes, lots of animals that have more than one offspring at a time can :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:48 pm

andybhoy wrote:IIRC, does can carry the progeny of more than one buck?

Yes they can although having tried it on more than one occasion it doesn't work :lol: Although it is feesably possible.
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Ok we officially have fur so I'm uploading pics as we speak :D

Also realised that mum is in no way shame or form a blue point siamese...don't know where I got that from lol. She looks himmy, very white and bright pink eyes! Don't know why I thought BPS :roll:

gilly

Post by gilly » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:01 pm

we want pics!!!! hurry!!!!
With love, Andrea, Jasper, Huxley and Marley. RIP Milo, Merlin, Bob, Jim, Red, Murphy, Riley, Quil. At the bridge xx

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:03 pm

:lol: Here they are!

Mum

Babies

Girls

Boys

Marked one

'Brown ones' (one berkie)

The 'medium' colour

Palest

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:05 pm

They are all Siamese :) So looks like the dad was indeed dad.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:07 pm

They look like siamese and himalayan babies to me, all seal point, some marked (unless that's just the effect of the light on their super shiny coats).
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Sara_C

Post by Sara_C » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:09 pm

Wow that was quick! Thank you!

So are the darker ones burmese? Some are marked, I think there's a mismarked hoodie and a berkie. Are the palest himmys then? What about the medium ones?

Exciting times!! :lol:
Last edited by Sara_C on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:11 pm

They are all Siamese.

Different depth of colour. The darkest are seal point and some of the paler are russian blue point.