my rats still dont trust me

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
JadeHardyox

my rats still dont trust me

Post by JadeHardyox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:00 am

ive had my 2 males (bought from a pet shop) for about 5 days now.. i have been putting their cage onto the bed with my with the door open and letting them come out in their own time as i was told this works.. neither have come out, no matter how long i sit there (maximum time ive sat there for is about an hour.)
when i first open the cage door, they both scurry forward to check it all out and they hang out the front as if they're going to climb out but then Cookie always runs away and thats the last thing he does, he wil then just sit in the corner and watch.. Cream hangs nearly all the way out but never actually does. I always let them sniff mine and my hubbys hand but they seem very unwilling to let us stroke them (which we have only tried twice as dont want to push them into it)
i have sometimes put cheerios outside the cage in a bid to try to tempt them out, but when they cant reach them from the cage door, they will just run upstairs and grab a bit of food from their bowl and then sit eating that for 20 minutes..
then i tried without the cheerios.. but put my foot close by to the cage so they could smell me, but all Cream did was nibble on my foot for ages, and then actually nibbled so it hurt, so i obviously moved my foot away..
not sure what else to do?! dont want to leave it too long to be able to handle them, especially because they r from a pet shop.. and also i need to clean them out but cant get them out of the cage! tried putting little boxes in there for them to climb into but they wont..
Advice appreciated, thanks!

siberiankiss

Re: my rats still dont trust me

Post by siberiankiss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:05 am

How far away is the cage door from the bed? If they can't reach a Cheerio it seems that maybe the door is quite high up and so they're just scared of jumping! What cage is it you have?

It doesn't sound as though they are frightened of you, can you pick them up? If not, try the cage on the bed again, but take the 'cagey' bit off, and leave just the base. They will feel more exposed, but still be in their safe place. If they're not aggressive, then the go-slow approach mightn't be for the best - do you have a bonding pouch, or something you could use as a bonding pouch?
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

daffee

Post by daffee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 am

We've had rats like that. You'll likely find that getting in there and forcing them to be handled will speed things up. It's not as traumatic as it might sound. Once they're out with you they should start to settle a lot faster and will start associating you with safety (and fun and treats as well over time). :luck:
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

JadeHardyox

Post by JadeHardyox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:10 am

siberiankiss wrote:How far away is the cage door from the bed? If they can't reach a Cheerio it seems that maybe the door is quite high up and so they're just scared of jumping! What cage is it you have?

It doesn't sound as though they are frightened of you, can you pick them up? If not, try the cage on the bed again, but take the 'cagey' bit off, and leave just the base. They will feel more exposed, but still be in their safe place. If they're not aggressive, then the go-slow approach mightn't be for the best - do you have a bonding pouch, or something you could use as a bonding pouch?
um its not too far from the bed.. about 10cm.. maybe that is the problem.. thanks ill try that!
i havent heard of a 'bonding pouch' so no, havent got one of those, is there an alternative i could use?

JadeHardyox

Post by JadeHardyox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:12 am

daffee wrote:We've had rats like that. You'll likely find that getting in there and forcing them to be handled will speed things up. It's not as traumatic as it might sound. Once they're out with you they should start to settle a lot faster and will start associating you with safety (and fun and treats as well over time). :luck:
what if one of them bites me? i wouldnt mind too much but dont want to ruin the trust ive built up if you know what i mean? :teen:

Snippet

Post by Snippet » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 am

JadeHardyox wrote:
um its not too far from the bed.. about 10cm.. maybe that is the problem.. thanks ill try that!
i havent heard of a 'bonding pouch' so no, havent got one of those, is there an alternative i could use?
If you've got a baggy jumper, you can put that on and stick them in there.
Cara,
Owned by Willow, Fern and Nix
Missing Snippet and Frost

daffee

Post by daffee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:16 am

JadeHardyox wrote: what if one of them bites me?
If you're worried, see if you can get them into a tube or an igloo and pick them up in that. If they're not showing signs of wanting to bite you so far then chances are they won't when you pick them up. It's just a case of having the confidence to just do it though - easier said than done I know.
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:20 am

Something like this is good for bonding, or as already said, a baggy jumper works a treat. Also try sleeping with an old t-shirt on, or with an old flannel under your armpit ( :lol: ) and then popping it in their cage. They'll learn to associate your scent with safety.

I do think you should start being a little more aggressive with handling them - but you do have to be confident in doing it otherwise it just won't work in your favour. Whereabouts are you? Maybe there is someone in your area who would be willing to come and give you some 'hands-on' advice?
Kate x

scoobylyn

Post by scoobylyn » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 pm

I second the pouch. I have some skitty 6 week old girls who would really rather I left them alone. I put them in the puch and then closed the top for a few mins then put them back into the cage. Ten mins later I did it again but this time let them jump back into the cage from the pouch. Seconds later they wanted to come back to the pouch but I wouldn't let them instead kept picking them up and putting them back into the cage. Today as soon as I got the pouch they bounded over and this time I picked them up and put them in it and after 10 mins let them jump out of it and back in again and so on. Each time they wanted to jump out I caught them stroked them and popped them across the other side of the cage. Definite improvement as they love the pouch and forget about being scared of me touching them.
http://www.brammocksrattery.co.uk - breeding for Russian & British Blue, Black Eyed Siamese and Burmese
http://www.raundsratrescue.co.uk
http://www.snugglefuzzies.co.uk - luxury hammocks and bedding for ferrets, rats and other furries.

rex rat

Post by rex rat » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Just give it time - your ratties will learn to love you soon! :smileyrat: Just go along with what everyone else has suggested. Being near them as often as possible and having loads of treats with you helps. Yogurt on a spoon worked for me as most rats love yogurt, just make sure its NOT chocolate or toffee or anything like that. Mine loved strawberry or peach the best. :D
4 girls & 4 boys.
Too many ratties at rainbow bridge to mention.

JadeHardyox

Post by JadeHardyox » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:42 pm

thanks for your comments everyone.. i am going to attempt to handle them tonight.. if they try to bite, then i will resort to putting gloves on....but have already put an igloo in the cage as a back up!!
really do need to clean those boys out tonight, and they will just have to get on with it :P

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Just be confident. If you pussy-foot around them or are jumpy, they'll get on the defensive.
Kate x

Rat Man

Post by Rat Man » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 pm

siberiankiss wrote:Just be confident. If you pussy-foot around them or are jumpy, they'll get on the defensive.

well said, when i first had my two rats, i was so scared of being bitten or anything, and a friend gave me their dads hooge baggy hoodie, and for ours i used to sit there with the two girls, and it worked, so keep it up, it does work :D
Nic The Whiskery Blog
Tilly, Ellie, Dorathy, Barbara, Hilda, Maggie, MiMi, Gemma, Thelma & Louise
and the Mice and gerbils
To All those I have Lost, Sleep Tight, See You Soon XX