Rat using jenNy shelf for weeing

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
cougarfrog

Rat using jenNy shelf for weeing

Post by cougarfrog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:03 pm

My rats use the litter tray to poo and seem to wee on the shelf, which doesn't have anything absorbent on it.
I have put a sheet of newspaper on it but is there anything I can use which will be absorbent and can be used on the shelf?

thanks

MarieM

Re: Rat using jenNy shelf for weeing

Post by MarieM » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:11 pm

Some folk use fleece on their shelves but I just wipe up wee with kitchen towel.
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

flash-gordonette

Post by flash-gordonette » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 pm

or vet bed, that absorbs wees really well if you can get it to stay put :)
Michelle- aka Mommy to: Ivory Coast :dumbo: Jeremy Ruffles :smileyrat: Rodney Hood :dumbo: Willy Whiskers and :dumbo: Barry Role :smileyrat:

:hearts: Mr Gregory Bread :dumbohalo: Billy Bear :dumbohalo: :hearts:

cougarfrog

Post by cougarfrog » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

great thanks, its that vet bed washable? Where is the best place to buy it from?

Clare_H

Post by Clare_H » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:35 pm

I had the exact same problem, I moved the shelf to another part of the cage and replaced it with a corner litter tray which I filled with substrate. They then started weeing in the litter tray instead. Apparently it was the location that mattered, not the surface!

Spookyfish

Post by Spookyfish » Fri May 21, 2010 8:05 pm

There must be something out the Jenny shelves that ratties find inviting hehe!. Been having the same problem with my four, but where ever I move the shelves the peeing continues.. :roll: :lol:

I have been looking at trying out buying some very cheap fleece from ebay and some clips and trying out lining the shelves :wink:
Besotted with the my funky five :girly: Vivian :teen: Fry :baby: Arthur :dumbo: Bagel and :dumbo: Noodle

Little Loki and Faye :rainbow:
Missed so much.

bexs

Post by bexs » Fri May 21, 2010 8:39 pm

I had some boys wich started weeing on a corner shelf. I moved their litter tray onto the shelf and they continued to use it. I think if they've decided to wee there, then there's no point trying to make them wee anywhere else!
The girls -Florentine,Alice,Missy,Esme,Ava,Ruby,Scarlet,Hermione,Milly,Lola
The boys - Remy,Toby,Edward,Cody,Riley,Jack,Noah,Fletcher,Bobby,Joey,Fabio,Fergus,Frank,Freddy
:rainbow: All my babies over the bridge, you're missed

mellyb

Post by mellyb » Sun May 23, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm having the same problem but I can't move the shelf at the moment. And to make matters worse their food bowl is on the shelf so the underneath of the dish keeps getting wet with pee and they keep walking through it :roll:
Mummy to Harry and Jake :love:

Mcfluff

Post by Mcfluff » Sat May 29, 2010 4:44 pm

When I first had Dhana and Jeera, they lived in a Tom cage which has corner shelves, and I laboriously made lovely towelling covers for the shelves to absorb the wee. The towels were invariably gnawed to bits and sodden with wee in the morning, and I spent hours laundering and repairing them...

We've now progresssed to a Furet XL/Tower, which has the same type of corner shelves as the Jenny, and I've totally given up on faffing around with covers on the shelves. I check them over twice a day and swab them down with baby wipes when necessary. So much less aggro! The only slightly nasty thing is when a rat paddles through a big puddle then climbs out onto your hand... :sickrat: ...baby wipes again!!!
Jacqui, Mum to Bella, Phoebe and Mr "Fred" Croup
and sadly missing Jeera, Dhana, Kizzy, Tasha, Nico, Amber, Saffy, Opal, Ruby, Trinny and Ziggy