Furet tower

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
laura118

Furet tower

Post by laura118 » Thu May 27, 2010 11:25 am

I want to seperate my tower so its 2 cages, any ideas what i could use to cover the hole in the bottom, that connects the 2 together?

fuschia

Re: Furet tower

Post by fuschia » Thu May 27, 2010 12:47 pm

I cut some plastic and screwed it in place, then also taped some cardboard over it cause I was paranoid they'd chew through! I think someone on here found a perfect shaped plastic thing in a diy shop, but can't remember what they said it was - might come up if you do a search.
:idea: But if you are still keeping them on top of each other could you not just put a corner shelf at the very top of the bottom half to prevent access?
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Thu May 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Swap the bases round, so the one with the hole is on the bottom, and put a saucer on the floor underneath the hole. :)

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Thu May 27, 2010 1:01 pm

fuschia wrote:I cut some plastic and screwed it in place, then also taped some cardboard over it cause I was paranoid they'd chew through! I think someone on here found a perfect shaped plastic thing in a diy shop, but can't remember what they said it was - might come up if you do a search.
:idea: But if you are still keeping them on top of each other could you not just put a corner shelf at the very top of the bottom half to prevent access?
An external vent cover from B&Q! :D
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Thu May 27, 2010 1:38 pm

:lol: No wonder I couldn't remember what it was called!
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser

Marianimal

Post by Marianimal » Thu May 27, 2010 1:39 pm

fuschia wrote::lol: No wonder I couldn't remember what it was called!

:lol: I've butchered that for the Furet Plus-Tower hole now!
FP Girls, Oldies, Pink Wrinklies and Wrinkle Men II.
Sleep tight everyone else.

Mcfluff

Post by Mcfluff » Sat May 29, 2010 4:47 pm

I used a spare corner shelf, placed tight up underneath the hole in the upper base, and then put a litter tray on top of the hole. Worked a treat.

You *could* buy a new Furet XL base... bit pricey though, I think they're about £50.
Jacqui, Mum to Bella, Phoebe and Mr "Fred" Croup
and sadly missing Jeera, Dhana, Kizzy, Tasha, Nico, Amber, Saffy, Opal, Ruby, Trinny and Ziggy

Zoojie

Post by Zoojie » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 am

My OH cut a ring of plastic that fit into one of the tubes, and slotted that into place. Means the rats can go 'visit' the ones in the bottom half inside the plastic tube! But get bocked off at the end. Was amusing to watch (was a recently neutered buck and then 5 girls in the other half! They were very interested in him!) I got the plastic from those plastic takeaway cartons from the local chinese takeaway. I use those boxes for so much with the rats :lol:

Ours weren't big chewers/destroyers though so I'm not sure how likely that would be to stop those with a greater will than my lot.

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Just found this thread on a search. If you put the base with the whole at the bottom would big bucks still be able to get through or will it be too close to the floor?
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:47 pm

cookielucylou wrote:Just found this thread on a search. If you put the base with the whole at the bottom would big bucks still be able to get through or will it be too close to the floor?
The base sits on the floor unless you had a stand... so you'd have a hole directly on the floor (which ive done) which ends up getting sticky, pooey, and substratey! (if you get me..)
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:12 pm

And if you have the wheels on (which makes moving it alot easier!) then it'll be off the floor some too.

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:28 am

Its not on wheels, but I didnt think about the mess getting on floor, think I will get something to fit the gap. Thankyou :)
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue