Help with writing a list for new owners please

For anything to do with rat care that doesn't fit into any of the sections above!
RCTlisa

Help with writing a list for new owners please

Post by RCTlisa » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:02 am

I am currently updating my website with a "Essential items" list for new rat owners and a similar list for those who are collecting rats from me. Now what would you say are essential items in rat keeping and why?

For my website page I have so far:
* Good sized cage
* 3 water bottles
* 1 large food bowl and 2 spares
* Suitable substrate/bedding
* Suitable dry mix
* Igloo (or other suitable housing)
* Sputnik
* Hammocks (various styles)
* Suitable carrier
* good range of toys
* some treats
* Litter tray

For the list for new owners I have: (This is assuming that that they have the cage, bottle, feed etc already done since they are collecting rats :wink: )
* Sputnik
* Dr Squiggles Daily Essentials
* Antibac Powder (for any wounds)
* Bottle Brush
* Ropes (Various styles)
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

indigoj

Re: Help with writing a list for new owners please

Post by indigoj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:21 am

* Good sized cage - I would add suggestions eg Freddy/Explorer etc with a suggested number of rats to give an idea of what 'good size' means.

* 3 water bottles
* 1 large food bowl and 2 spares: - Both of these dependant on the number of rats.

* Suitable substrate/bedding
* Suitable dry mix

* Sputnik : - Sputnik/Igloo not 'essentials' in themselves, however I would say 'plenty of different hiding and sleeping places'
- afterall a carboard box does the job.

* Suitable carrier
* good range of toys
* some treats
* Litter tray

* Sputnik
* Dr Squiggles Daily Essentials: Wouldn't class this as an essential if fed an appropriate diet.
* Antibac Powder (for any wounds)
* Bottle Brush
* Ropes (Various styles)

I'd say essentials would be appropriate cage/food/litter and bedding, hiding places, sleeping places and things to climb on and chew. I would also put some pics of 'appropriate layouts' to give an idea of what you mean.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:35 am

It might be good to offer some cage enrichment suggestions - digging boxes, bowl of water, pea fishing, cat grass etc
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

Dinky

Post by Dinky » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:41 am

Like I above, I agree with the essentials are:
indigoj wrote:I'd say essentials would be appropriate cage/food/litter and bedding, hiding places, sleeping places and things to climb on and chew. I would also put some pics of 'appropriate layouts' to give an idea of what you mean.
And these are great examples:

Sputniks, hammocks etc....

New owners may be a little put of by the abruptness of 'essentials', also everyone cannot afford sputniks, multiple hammocks etc......so I would change it to the following:

*Multiple water bottles
*Food Bowls
* Suitable substrate/bedding (e.g fincard, shreaded paper....)
* Suitable dry mix (e.g Alison Campbell's Shunamite mix)
*Suitable Ground Housing (e.g igloo's, cardboard boxes, rat-sized houses)
*Suitable Hanging Housing (e.g sputniks, hammocks - various sizes, old cotton t-shirts)
* Suitable carrier (a cat carrier can be a great alternative due to it size, it can double as a hospital 'cage' and for introductions. Try to obtain a carrier that you can attach a water bottle to)
* good range of toys - both both inside the cage and during free range time (e.g tubes, ropes, wooden toys, bridges, cardboard boxes, plush housing, tissue boxes - filled etc)
* some treats (health options are best!)
* Litter tray (with suitable litter eg paper-based cat litter)
* Dr Squiggles Daily Essentials (provides various vitamins and minerals for you fuzzies)
* Antibac Powder (for any wounds) what about stuff to put in a first aid box??
* Bottle Brush (alternatively you could you the rice cleaning technique.....)
*Books - The Scuttling Gourment - Alison Campbell
*Websites/forums - FR, NERS, YRC......Dapper rat, http://www.ratbehavior.org/, http://www.rathealth.co.uk/forum/index.php, http://ratguide.com/

:luck:
Lisa is owned by Harry, Travis and Spencer
:rainbow: Little Husk, Ninja-man; Kes, beautiful blue; Alfie; Big boy Rex; Fussy boy; Wilson - always with me

sati18

Post by sati18 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:10 am

to that list i would add a tube of nutrical or (cheaper) beaphar malt paste as i've found its helpful to get the rats hooked on a suitable med giving food way before ou need to give the meds as that way they take it more readily. also a dried soft food such as quiko which can be used to give extra protein to babies, as an occasional treat for older rats, or as a soft food for when theyre ill. again, the earlier these foods are introduced the les you have to worry about them refusing it because they don#t trust it when they get ill
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

RCTlisa

Post by RCTlisa » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:38 am

siberiankiss wrote:It might be good to offer some cage enrichment suggestions - digging boxes, bowl of water, pea fishing, cat grass etc
I already have those on a separate page one my website and my pack.

Maybe I need to change the name from essentials to something else.....

ETA - maybe and essential items list and an additional items that people may wish to consider. I get quite a few e-mails asking me these type of questions so want a good range of opinions rather than just mine
Websites: RCT Rats, RCT Stud
RCT Stud is breeding for happy, friendly and healthy rats in Mink, British Blue & Black.
Mildands Rat Club - Next Show 1st October

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:53 am

I think there are two lists... essential and desired (or something along those lines). So essential would be:

Cage Enrichment - Toys.. ideas about ropes, hanging treats.. including a decent sized cage.

Sleepy places - two sets of hammocks (one set in wash, one clean set) - Igloo, baskets etc

Water bottles x 3 and food bowls x 3.

Food and a recommended substrate / bedding / litter.

I think those would be the essential things I'd say every rat owner should at least start off with.

I think new rat owners would maybe feel intimidated hearing and overwhelmed hearing loads of things and names of vitamins and suppliments. I know I did!

Of course.. I'd included added desired recommended extras like squiggles, suppliments, vitamins... and of course free range ideas - digging boxes, pea fishing and then books like scuttling gormet, the rat health guide book (the green one :rollred: ).

TBH I'd almost say the rat health guide book is essential. It is a decent little dictionary on health problems and I have found the book to be very beneficial.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:05 pm

I would add a 'Rats On A Budget' section, with pics of all the fab things available to use or modify from places like pound shops and Wilkinsons, that way potential new owners are not overwhelmed by cost and may be more willing to spend the cash on the real essentials - a big cage and (I forgot to add this earlier!) a vet fund.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Athena

Post by Athena » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

When I rehome, if its a new owner I make sure they research vets before they get the rats and before they have an emergency. If they live local I give them the out of hours vet info too (i have a stash of their business cards :oops: )
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

siberiankiss

Post by siberiankiss » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 pm

I think it's also a good idea to stress the importance of having a spare cage - to use as a hospital/separation cage etc.
Kate x
Lovingly owned by Boba, Manny ,Floyd, Tom, George, Tiny, William & Eugene.
Resented by Maida & Nilda - The Angry Babies
:rainbow: Snow, Ajax, Ken, Ryu, Daisy, Jack, Dave, Dotty, Bruce, Reg, Eric.

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:32 am

Food bowls are not essential if the rats are scatter fed. I'd describe them as 'useful' for soft/wet foods etc.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Lackis

Post by Lackis » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:47 am

indigoj wrote:I would add a 'Rats On A Budget' section, with pics of all the fab things available to use or modify from places like pound shops and Wilkinsons, that way potential new owners are not overwhelmed by cost and may be more willing to spend the cash on the real essentials - a big cage and (I forgot to add this earlier!) a vet fund.
That's a great idea if you've got space for a third list. I'd also include joining this website under the essentials or desired list as it's a free resource of invaluable information! :lol:
Sasha & Qudo :halo: Maggie & Cassie :halo: Abigail, Matilda & Jupiter :dumbo: Anastacia and Greta! :baby:

<:3 )~~ All your rodents are belong to me <:3 )~~

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:12 am

RCTlisa wrote:* Good sized cage
I'd give a link to the cage calculator, as many new rat owners may think they have a good sized cage but don't realise it isn't big enough. When I first got my girls I thought the cage I had was big enough for two, but then I came across the cage calculator and found that it wasn't.

Contact numbers for a vet should be essential; most people when first buying a pet don't think "oh, I'll need a vet at some point" and usually end up in a panic trying to find a nearby vet at the last minute if something goes wrong. So maybe a link to a list of good rat vets would be helpful, if there is such thing?
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

Ratsruleok

Post by Ratsruleok » Sun May 01, 2011 2:37 pm

flying saucer spinner wheel mine LOVE it
finacard
two water bottles
two bowls as with pairs it helps less squabling
igloo
sputnik
a cheap apple tree put in garden for constant supply of chew sticks!
I quit as a accidental litter owner I dont appreciate the bullies who have spamed my thread with their poison
If you think I'm a liar fine I told the truth about it all because I wanted the help you made it clear I am not welcome please delete my account.

cookielucylou

Post by cookielucylou » Sun May 01, 2011 3:14 pm

If you look on Lisa's site she already has a lot of good info on there, including a page about cages ;)
Destiny Rattery Breeding towards russian silver.
RACR, contact Andrea on 05602383367
rattiemommysallcarerescue