Wild pet rats continued...

For all breeding, rearing and genetics related discussion. Kitten pictures may be posted in "Your Rats".
Purposefully bred litters of any background may NOT be advertised on the Fancy Rats forum.
Aliastar

Wild Pet rats

Post by Aliastar » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 am

Hi, I have recently raised a litter of wild rats and have learned an awful lot about the differences between pet and wild rats. If interested please email me at aleisaallan@hotmail.com, I have ocer 150 photos from when I got them to now.

ErnieG!

Re: Wild Pet rats

Post by ErnieG! » Tue May 24, 2011 12:21 am

How did you manage to get a hold of a wild rat and her litter? :o
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue May 24, 2011 6:15 am

That sounds like an interesting read, I know a few people have had half wild litters. Any chance you could type it up here I think quite a few would be interested!
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

Stevmic

Post by Stevmic » Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 am

Athena wrote:That sounds like an interesting read, I know a few people have had half wild litters. Any chance you could type it up here I think quite a few would be interested!
I'd second that.

I suspect my first group were potentially semi-wild and would like to know what the similarities/differences are
Please, call me Mike :)

Vince :smileyrat: + Miles :smileyrat: + Eli :dumbo: +Griffin :dumbo:
R.I.P Blue :sadrat:

msmara

Post by msmara » Tue May 24, 2011 11:53 am

I'd also be interested - worth posting on here?
Samara & the Squishness
Member of the Explorer Club
Gone with pieces of my heart: Rocco :dumborainbow: Salt :rainbow: Yoji :dumborainbow:

Helzie

Post by Helzie » Tue May 24, 2011 1:03 pm

would love to hear more! Intriguing!
Besotted owner of Lundy, Malin, Hebridy and Faeroe :love: Easterly backing southeasterly 2 to 4, squally showers, moderate, good.
Sailing By: Cromarty. I miss you, little man. Fitzroy. O Captain, my Captain.
Member of the Savic Royal Family

Razcox

Post by Razcox » Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 pm

would also love to hear more as at the moment i have visons of Pheobe from friends running through my head :D
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

StormySkye

Post by StormySkye » Tue May 24, 2011 1:16 pm

I think it'd be great posting it on here because I'm sure a lot of people are interested but don't feel comfortable emailing for more info :)
Emily. Happily owned by Layla, Lily, Whiskers and Giselle.

scoobylyn

Post by scoobylyn » Tue May 24, 2011 2:56 pm

I second posting it on here with pics etc.
http://www.brammocksrattery.co.uk - breeding for Russian & British Blue, Black Eyed Siamese and Burmese
http://www.raundsratrescue.co.uk
http://www.snugglefuzzies.co.uk - luxury hammocks and bedding for ferrets, rats and other furries.

Athena

Post by Athena » Tue May 24, 2011 2:57 pm

I have emailed the OP and asked nicely if they will post, im very intrigued!
Zero, Penn, Teller, Jareth, Ludo, Sir Didymus, Bowie, Hoggle, Yngwie, Nuno, Dotty, Daisy, Dash, Florence, Josephine and Constance
Hattie's House rat rescue

rudyrat

Post by rudyrat » Tue May 24, 2011 5:43 pm

How interesting! can't wait hear/read more :P
Rowan, Scabbers, Daisy & Snookie :love:

Eddy's mum

Post by Eddy's mum » Wed May 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Yes I can't wait either - lets hear more.

BTW my ex had a half wild litter. For some reason he left his two girls outside in their cage one afternoon and one of them escaped. However, she came back the next night, but yeah you guessed it, she was pregnant. She gave birth to 17 brown rats (she had been brown hooded). Most of them became quite tame - the boys were huge tho! 3 of them never tamed up, 1 of whom had to be euthanised due to respiratory illness. The other 2 girls (and I'm not sure how people will respond to this but I'll be honest) he released into the wild :oops: It was that or a one way trip to the vet as they were biters and just not happy living in a cage. I was there when this happened, and I have to say I had never seem them look so happy as when they scampered away into the woods. I guess you can only tame up those rats whose genetic code makes them receptive to human company.

But one thing I always remember was when a friend bought round one of the re-homed bucks - I've never seen anything like it - a great big squishy brown boy - huge and wild looking - the size of a rabbit - but soft and friendly!
Ratties: Mr. Julian Moon, Sebastian, Tirian & Tarly Tinker :love:
RIP: Bogey & Beany, Boris & Sergei, Eddy, Molly :rainbow:

Eddy's mum

Post by Eddy's mum » Tue May 31, 2011 9:21 pm

Did Alistair ever get back to anyone? I was looking forward to hearing about his wild ones - though I can't think how one would end up raising entirely wild rats? :???:
Ratties: Mr. Julian Moon, Sebastian, Tirian & Tarly Tinker :love:
RIP: Bogey & Beany, Boris & Sergei, Eddy, Molly :rainbow:

jan

Post by jan » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:58 pm

hes no th fisrt cyth misty on here as rasied to one was called monty and was rased form beinga bub he sw as stunner very tame you could ven kiss him
mum to 41 rats to diogsm one bul mastf denzel onre foster gilr suzie thise who are at the bridge side for ever in my heart blessed be

misty

Post by misty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:05 pm

I have successfully raised a few wild rats now. One in particular was Monty. He was such a special rat who just loved people. He was so tame as jan said I could kiss him. Quite a few people on this forum actually got to meet Monty and have the fun of playing with him.
You do have to take care doing this but yes it can be done if you get them young enough.

Misty