Severe resp infection/facial abscess

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Amzy

Re: Severe resp infection/facial abscess

Post by Amzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:34 am

The aim of the steroids was to get the fluid off her lungs :( and im struggling to get her to take anything orally. Im a bit stuck with what I can do today but she is coming to work with me where I can at least nurse her a bit and get what abs, fluids and food I can into her =[
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:03 pm

If anyone is interested in todays update:

No better. In fact, I'd almost go to saying she's worse. Can't get anything into her orally, if I do, its through force. Last night she had a bit of sudafed, and today I'm syringing (fairly strong :roll: ) Guardian Angel into her which has added Baytril. Can't do it any other way as she won't even attempt to eat, its hard enough getting her to take fluids. She had dried porph/blood around her snout again this morning. And her snout is covered in dried drugs, and squiggles where she won't wash herself.

She bit me this morning, and she is not a biter. She isn't happy :(
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave

Toribob

Post by Toribob » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:37 pm

I am sorry she is still so poorly, I hope she starts to improve soon x

sati18

Post by sati18 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:40 pm

OH my word Amzy that's so horrible for you and for her. poor baby :-(

Maybe if she hasn't improved at all by tomorrow it might be time to do the last and kindest thing for her?

Honestly can't express how much i sympathise- you must be devastated :cry:
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:47 pm

Yep :( That decision is playing on my mind, right now I'd be surprised if she made it to Monday (the day I was going to decide whether enough was enough).

Contemplating trying/borrowing a nebuliser to see if it helps with her breathing at all... I guess anything is worth a try at this point.

Right now, I'm too scared to think about loosing her :( she was working up towards alpha status, with her sister, and being from the park rescue she is automatically close to my heart :(

x

malude

Post by malude » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:03 pm

Poor wee lady :( I have sometimes found that steam makes them panic more than anything tbh although I've only ever tried the steamy bathroom thing rather than an actual nebuliser.
It's so difficult when you want to keep fighting but know that it might not be the best thing.
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

sati18

Post by sati18 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:08 pm

^^^ and it's impossible to make that decision and feel like you have made the right one. if you do it then you think youshould have fought harder. if you don't and they die anyway then you blame yourself for not making it sooner.

A horrible choice either way :(
Proudly owned by the big boys (Jeff, George & Toby) and the babbies (Sid & Ozzy)
RIP Monty, Emile, Leo, Angus, Otto, Remy and Rafe... mummy misses you every day.

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:13 pm

My baby has just gone to the bridge xxx

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:44 pm

I guess no one knows how you must be feeling right now. I know I am devastated and have been so worried for her. She wasn't supposed to be the first to go. I am sure that everyone who owns a Park rescue rat will be sharing your pain and sorrow with you tonight. ((Big Hugs)) and much love from me tonight and always :dumbohalo: Play hard and stay out of mischeif you cheeky little Cookie monster.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Oh my god Amy no :(

I can't begin to imagine how you must be feeling xxx

There are no words just thoughts xxx
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

indigoj

Post by indigoj » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:08 am

:cry: :cry:

How sad. I've not posted but had been reading and hoping.
My Parkies send their tears too.
9 Roans-Comet,Luna,Selene,Twinkle,Hobbit,Evey,Echo,Flash,Splash.2 Black Berkie-Elara,Perdita,2 Black Rex-Lola,Sofia,1 PEW- Tinkerbell,2 Siamese-Saffron,Daisy,2 Half Wild- Indigo,Imbrium, and 2 Parkies-Mink Dumbo-Atomic,Rapture

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:44 pm

i'm so sorry, i am sending you lots of love. run at the bridge little one. x
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:36 pm

So sorry you lost her .
Facial abscesses can actually eat into the bone structure and become very painful so now she is pain free -rest in peace now little one
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present