Parrot/Bird Toys Safe?

For everything to do with rat housing, from cages, litter and bedding to accessories and toys for your rat. Not for advertising items for sale.
werepoodles

Parrot/Bird Toys Safe?

Post by werepoodles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:11 pm

I've noticed a lot of pictures of peoples layouts where they have parrot toys, I would love to get some as they seem a lot more interesting than most of the rat toys.

I just wanted to double check what to look out for to make sure they are safe for them, Is there anything I need to avoid?
I did read that they shouldn't have anything with rawhide, but are all the plastic and wooden toys alright?
Some of the toys have leather as well, is this safe for them?

Katie

Rhi01

Re: Parrot/Bird Toys Safe?

Post by Rhi01 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:21 pm

I usually buy only parrot toys as they are loads more interesting. The thing I look for is if it looks like fun to destroy.

I've read that rawhide can become sticky and so pose a chocking hazard but everything else is fair game :D
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

werepoodles

Post by werepoodles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:47 pm

Thats great, thank you, I have seen somebody selling some at clearance price on ebay so will definitely get some!

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Care to link? :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

werepoodles

Post by werepoodles » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Here they are, they seem like good value compared to what i've looked at in pet shops -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:42 pm

(( Scarletts Parrot Essentials )) are pretty good price-wise and have a great range of stuff.

I use them for my budgie toys. :D

Excellent service and she rescues mistreated parrots too.
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Wowo Hanlou that site you linked has some amazing stuff my bank account isnt going to like you much :D
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

SargentEllie

Post by SargentEllie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:58 pm

My rats just ignore the hanging rope ones and say they are no fun. They do however LOVE the foraging ones such as ..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foraging-Whee ... 4cf820cf77

Yippy especially is really funny with it. He doesnt quite get it. The others will reach in and get food then spin the wheel to whatever they want. Yippy just frantically spins it until a random thing drops out :hearts:
Hot and righteous Ellie and the boys ..... and *cough* erm girls

http://www.neratsociety.co.uk/

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:07 pm

SargentEllie wrote:My rats just ignore the hanging rope ones and say they are no fun.
So do mine, except those with shredding bits in. Instead I tend to attach them sideways so they're a wobbly rope with 'obstacles' or similar :)

Han. I was doing VERY WELL avoiding that shop when you linked me before. My bank account won't like you either.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

werepoodles

Post by werepoodles » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:34 pm

That links great, the foraging toys look fantastic, I can see my bank account getting a substantial dent in it again!. I've been spending so much money getting all kinds of bits and bobs for my rats, it soon adds up, plus it doesn't help that whenever i'm buying bits for them I feel guilty about my dogs and buy some little bits for them as well!

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:29 pm

funnily enough i bought this yesterday before i saw this thread and i can safely say my girls give it the thumb(Nubbin)s up. they love rattling the thing and its bamboo and makes a fairly nice wind chime sound they are currently chewing it to pieces but i may have to take the bell off the bottome they are in my bedroom.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 pm

ScattieMcRattie wrote:funnily enough i bought this yesterday before i saw this thread and i can safely say my girls give it the thumb(Nubbin)s up. they love rattling the thing and its bamboo and makes a fairly nice wind chime sound they are currently chewing it to pieces but i may have to take the bell off the bottome they are in my bedroom.
I have 2 of them :oops: and have bought 3 others to give to friends. All from the NERS shop which sells really good parrot toys and things people actually want!

If you want more ideas:
Hang in a corner and stick the knots through the bars, to get a 3D ladder type effect.
Hang sideways with a clip/ tie through the ring that did have the bell on (I have also taken mine off).
Using the attachment it comes with or other ties for extra support, attach firmly to the bars as a big perch.
Attach a veggie ball to the bottom ring for variation.
Jam longways cut up carrot/ parsnip/ pepper/ cucumber etc. through the holes. You can do this in all positions, which means some will be easy to get, while others require bending over, otherwise getting hold of.
Stick cashew nuts and pistachios in the holes.
Thread other bits of rope through the holes or bottom ring as part of a longer cage rope system thingy.
Hang other toys from the holes or the ring at the bottom.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure I do more with them :lol:
*~~Beri~~*

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:50 pm

fantastic ideas AW i would never have thought of useing it as a perch what a great idea :D i'll defo try that some time soon. i'm going to have to stay off that website though they have so many things i am sure my girls absolutely NEED

i'm actually going to try to make my own rat dangle destroyer thingy, i've amassed so many bits of oddities for the rats i'm actually going to string it together and see what i can make, i bought some packs of corks too yesterday and they love them, have some wooden beads etc fabric strips, i need lots of things for my girls to destroy as one has neurological probs and has become a bar chewer (one of my most hated habits) in all my rat keeing years i've only ever had one other bar chewer but he was never obsessive she's almost hamster like in her single minded attention on chewing bars and another girl has taken a liking to the corners of the correx base tray so i want things to hang in all the corners i have those wood garlands round the corners atm.its most funny watching her get very irate spinning the wooden shapes round and round cos she cant get to her favourite shewing spot.........i dont care what they destroy in the cage in the least hammocks/ plastic beds whatever i'll make new ones...the only thing i dont want them to chew is the correx base and its becoming their favourite "pass time" i think its cos its gets my attention and to distracvt them if i hear the gnaw of correx i go over and find them something to do like give them crunchy paper bags or other new/noisy/smelly things to play with for a while.......i think in fact they are trainning me that if they chew here on the base, the human will come over give them attention treats and toys to make us stop

guess i will have to fork out for a metal tray after all lol.....its funny my boys never touched it at all
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

werepoodles

Post by werepoodles » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:53 pm

I wanted to make my own toys as well, I bought some corks from wilkinsons today and would like to get some wooden beads and bits, Not sure where the best place to get things like that is though.

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:00 pm

yes i got my corks from wilko,, the beeds i've got from all over. some natural wood ones from a pet store on sale. some food dyed kids coloured ones from a cheep shops. i have found some lava beeds on ebay once .yup the same stuff as lava ledges are made from and when i have money i'll get some well lots probably. i have wooden stick things, left over bits of old toys, with plenty of good chew left in it, just random stuff! i have stuff everywhere...............nothing gets thrown away here without being checked to see if it can amuse a rat in some way first. i'm a proper hoarder
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube