Feeding live insects?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
batty_rat

Feeding live insects?

Post by batty_rat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:07 pm

Is this a wise idea?

Can they get worms from eating live crickets? As I was thinking how to enrich meal times for my boys (well get their dad to help enrich their day).

I don't know the risks involved and wanted to know if anybody else does it? Also, are there any benefits?
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

cantfink

Re: Feeding live insects?

Post by cantfink » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:19 pm

I have bought live meal worms before and they love them!
I think people have done crickets too.
Not sure about insects etc from the garden but Terror has been known to eat spiders and flys...
Ratty Girls: Ada, Grace, Motorway and Terror.

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:08 pm

I would avoid wild insects as they often carry parasites, captive bred ones may be an option that's what most folk here feed. I'd love to get a few crickets for mine but my hubby would kill me if they escaped. Meal worms just wouldn't be a challenge lol
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

nikki123

Post by nikki123 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Mine love live meal worms :) not sure I could do crickets though :)
Nikki x
Girls Poppy Peggy Kitty Mouse Ceres Hattie Savannah Elena Eve Daisy Rosie Paige Saffy Charlotte Delia Isis Blossom Petal Rio Riley

Boys Zippy Lucas Gobo Boots Harley Jack Ash Baldrick Flynn Maximus

Vicki Pickle

Post by Vicki Pickle » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:41 pm

I've fed live mealworms a couple of times. The pet shop gives them to me for free as I only ask for a tiny amount. I place them in the cage two at a time and watch to make sure they're eaten, lest they escape and turn into those black beetle things. *shudder.

Anyway, my girls go mad for them - seizing hold of them and ripping the heads off first. :sickrat:
A cage full of aging ladies: Gentle alpha Sally Cinnamon, chubster black berkie dumbo Zillah, roan alpha wannabe Bobbie and dear tilty runty Princess Wobble Buttons.

lechien

Post by lechien » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:32 pm

while i would love to please and entertain my girls by providing such exciting meal options, i couldn't watch that!! :sickrat: i cannot even kill a mosquito, not because i feel bad for them i just can't! :sickrat: :sickrat: :sickrat:

you guys' ratties are lucky!

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:18 pm

I do. It's fine :D

Mine love them but they are a very occasional treat.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

batty_rat

Post by batty_rat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Wow, that's a really positive response cheers :) I'll let their dad know right away so he can watch the boys go mad for some bugs :P
Rat mum from afar :cry: My boys are up in Scotland being doted on paw and claw.

Hekla: Keep up the good mess making :hearts:
Semper: Don't drive your dad too much up the wall, I need him sane when I see him :lol:
Fargo: Carry on loving :hearts:

vixen184

Post by vixen184 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:36 pm

I always have a selection of crickets in the house for the tarantulas, but Id never thought of giving them to the rats. I imagine its a quicker death for them being eaten by rats rather than the Ts. And it would save the crickets going to waste, I have about 3 sizes of cricket and only 6 tarantulas which I feed once a week so the crickets often die of boredom.
http://www.campionrats.com
Campion Stud. Breeding russian blue in dumbo. Black and russian blue hooded in top ear.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:47 pm

Die of boredom... is that a figure of speech or literally? :oops:
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

cantfink

Post by cantfink » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:03 pm

and now there die by the hand of a rat! :o
Ratty Girls: Ada, Grace, Motorway and Terror.

vixen184

Post by vixen184 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:22 am

Literally boredom. They just sit in their tub waiting to be picked out and eaten and i think they get bored lol.
http://www.campionrats.com
Campion Stud. Breeding russian blue in dumbo. Black and russian blue hooded in top ear.

ScattieMcRattie

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:41 am

i know the ratties love their live food the same as any other carnivourouse animal, my boys often used to catch or find spiders and moths and nom on them like i would a juicy cream cake. when i had a large group in an outside shed on free range they used to hunt the woodlice in the panneling.............but personally i just couldnt deliberately feed a live anything to another creature if they find it catch kill it eat themselves thats fine thats what they do, or if its pre-killed i can deal with that but i couldnt deliberately sentance another being to death.....i even have a carnivourouse pitcher plant that its suggested i feed live insects too etc but i just cant do i even for a plant..........i wonder if my plant likes ham lol i know the rats do :wink:
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

sian86

Post by sian86 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:35 am

How do you feed crickets to your rats? I have a couple of geckos that eat crix, but they're kept in vivariums so I can just throw some crix in and there's no way of escaping. Just wondering how people feed them to ratty's without the possibility of crickets escaping and running round the house!
Thanks

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:45 pm

:lol: ive fed live meal worms on clean out days before the big clean because i worry they would stash them then they turn into somthing horrible not sure what they turn into but i imagine some sort of beetle with wings.at least if i do it that way i know they have either been eaten or gone in the outside bin.
i would like to try somthing else but worry they would end up escaping and i couldnt be doing with lose crickets n stuff im bad enough with house spiders i have a horrid phoboa of them i cry and get sweats if i see one i wont go in the room untill its gone.
on the other hand my cat loves all insects shes a house cat so dosent get to chase birds and stuff so she chases and eats bugs instead.i use her if i see a spider i let her get it.ive never seen the rats chase bugs though i could inagine them huddled on the shelf terrified lol :lol: