Introductions

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
redrach

Introductions

Post by redrach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi guys.
A few days ago i rehomed a ratty, the last standing of a big ratty family whose very loving owners were moving away. She's a beautiful 28month cuddly rex berkshire (not sure of colour) and is called monk.
I've been introducng her to my 2 8 month and 1 5 month girls.

Firstly we tried the bath but everyone was so freaked out i opted for the bathroom floor, or more, half of it blocked off. There was some sniffing and some grooming by one 8month (i think the alpha). The other older girl showed little or no interest. The 5month puffed up and ran off anytime they got near.

I then moved on to a rabbit cage, but everyone was again so freaked out and simply tried to escape the whole time, ignoring each other.

Tonight i've cleaned out their ferrwt plus, sprayed with vinegar and rinsed to remove smells and only given them a blanket, shredded paper, their wheel, litter tray, water bowl and bottle. The dominant girl has again sniffed and they have groomed each other, no real problems- some squeaking but not loud or long, just the 'hey, get out of my way' ones. But, the other 8month hasn't really went near monk and the 5month, dumbo still puffs up if she herself walks too near monk.
Monk's simply lying in the toilet, seemingly unphased by them and not caring to be groomed, groom of be puffed up at.

Any advice? I can't really get them in anything smaller as they just completely freak out and continue to run around doing scared poos everywhere and ignoring each other.
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

redrach

Re: Introductions

Post by redrach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:54 pm

Since typing monk and the two older girls are lying together, not cuddly as such, but side by side none-the-less.
Dumbo is avoiding them all now.

Is it just a matter of time?
Rachael.
My Albie. My Chandler. My Rincewinde. My Twoflower. My Schuster. My Splinter. My Dumbo. My Monk. <3

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:19 pm

I'd advise putting them in a carrier together at this stage. This will force them to interact rather than avoiding each other. I usually give this stage 24-48 hours, depending how long it takes for them to all pile up together. Only intervene if a fight breaks out that draws blood.

Best of luck :)
My rats: Possum, Tasmania, Henna, & Trinity!
And lastly my kitties; Neko & Oliver.
RIP Toffee, Inky, Boota, Balthazar, Lady Serenity & Rosetta :dumbohalo:

redrach

Post by redrach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:22 pm

The only carrier i have woukdn't fit all 4 of them and i coudln't attach a water bottle or anything to it.
Rachael.

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:36 pm

Ah right... this is why I got a few different sizes of carriers, my favourite is the cabrio cat carrier, you can comfortably keep 2-4 rats in there for up to a week as long as they get daily attention. Makes a great hospital cage too.

When you tried the bath did you put any blanket or towel down first? This can make it less stressful as an empty bath freaks rats out very easily.
If you don't have any carrier or cage that is going to be suitable, then its probably just a waiting game of letting them get to know each other in the furet plus.

redrach

Post by redrach » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 pm

Yeah, tried towels in the bath.
Seem to be getting on okay still. Given them a little food, no fighhts, though monk's not eating much at the minute anyway. Guess just wait and see.
Rachael.

Werepuppy

Post by Werepuppy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 pm

redrach wrote:Yeah, tried towels in the bath.
Seem to be getting on okay still. Given them a little food, no fighhts, though monk's not eating much at the minute anyway. Guess just wait and see.
Sounds like you're doing alright, as long as their not fighting just leave them be, and good luck. ^^