Bleeding from Lady parts - Please help!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
pinkfearie

Bleeding from Lady parts - Please help!

Post by pinkfearie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Alpha my oldest girl (over 2 years old) is bleeding from her lady parts. Shes sat quiet on my knee snuggling in and not being her usual active self.
With it being this late at night, what can I do? I've never had this happen before with any of my rats and shes my old lady and I dont want her to be suffering

pinkfearie

Re: Bleeding from Lady parts - Please help!

Post by pinkfearie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:12 am

I darent go to sleep, Shes on my knee cuddled in. PLease someone, I really dont know what to do. The other halfs way till tomorrow day and I want to ring a friend but theyre asleep and up early.

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:24 am

I ran g the vets and got the guy I saw on Tuesday with Bella and her resp issues. Hes advised Baytril and get her in to them first thing in the morning.

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:58 am

The vet advised you exactly what i said,t he only thing i would add is pop her into a hospital cage/carrier with clean paper towel so you can monitor how bad her bleeding is.

It's likely just a water infectiong but it can be a sign of something more serious. Best for thing you can do is pop her to the vets, sorry i was asleep dudette and had left my phone in here or i would've picked up the messages! :(
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 am

Alpha has gone RIP little dude. Her age and general demenour indicated something at work more nasty that a UTI. I said goodbye to my little friend, we had over 2 years of cuddles so she had a good life.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/ ... port-3.jpg

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:19 pm

pinkfearie wrote:Alpha has gone RIP little dude. Her age and general demenour indicated something at work more nasty that a UTI. I said goodbye to my little friend, we had over 2 years of cuddles so she had a good life.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b220/ ... port-3.jpg

RIP Alpha - i can't comment on our facebook group for some reason as that little twerp who invented it hasn't ironed out the bugs!
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks. Just buried her, little front paws clutched shut and eyes shut. Little dudes sleeping now.

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:50 am

Just out of curiosaity, has anyne else had this happen before? Did you have any chance to spot something was wrong? as it just came on suddenly with the bleeding for Alpha amd I keep kicking myself thinking there was something I should have seen.

Jird

Post by Jird » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:06 am

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Vaginal bleeding isn't uncommon in rats unfortunately, and I think is often a sign of uterine infection - I don't know much about it as I keep boys, but if you do a search for pyometra you'll probably find quite a lot of threads about the condition.
Emily and the boys - Jamie, Bailey, Finn and Tumnus
Love you Bond, Liam, George, Blaze. See you at the bridge little guys.

Mulberry (Jane)

Post by Mulberry (Jane) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:49 pm

It doesn't always appear to be particularly sinister. I have a doe, Excaliber, who is 23 months now. She has had 2 episodes of bleeding from her lady bits, one 7 months ago, one last month. In both cases whatever she had (saw a different vet on each occasion and neither was sure) she responded to a course of baytril. On both occasions my initial worry was pyometra, but it clearly wasn't. Each time she heavily spotted for about a fortnight in total, but showed no other symptoms of illness whatsoever. Her tummy remained soft with no sign of pain when it was checked over. On another forum someone else said they have had doe rats with the same single symptom who have responded to baytril.
I'm sorry Alpha clearly had more serious problems going on. Sorry for your loss.
Mulberry rats are: Tuck, Islay, Mull & Treshnish
Guinevere, Excaliber, Nymwai, Muddy, Lightnin' , BB, Monty , Brownie, Koko, Etta, Jensen, Fernando, Felipe, Vanilla, Tiffin & Matilda.

Remembered with love: Little Jon and my other sweethearts x

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 am

I think Alphas was something more serious unfortunately as when Pinkfaerie cleaned her parts a gush of fresh blood appeared. She'll probs be on in a bit to confirm but i understand it wasn't just spotting and she'd lost a lot of actual blood and it wasn't just wee tinged with blood. :cry:

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:21 pm

If it was coming from her lady parts it's quite likely it was pyo especially if she was poorly with it. Antibiotics can hold it off but very rarely get rid of it. A spay is the best way to eliminate the problem.

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:22 pm

Hey, It was fresh blood literally gushing out. The vet took one look at her and explained they could operate but at her advanced age it wouldnt be any good for her. He didnt hold out hope for antibiotics as he didnt think they would make any difference and it would have been unfair to have prolonged her suffering. He also said he was looking for blood tinged wee or pus, which there was none. Just blood and lots of it :(
It really scared me as everytime I cleaned her up, fresh came out. It was like when I had a PVB++ haemerage when I miscarried. Thats what it reminded me of, with the amount of blood and the way it was coming out.

fiverats

Post by fiverats » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Our Rory (female) had regular bleeding from her vagina and was spayed, as the vet thought it would help. But it didn't and she died a few months later after bleeding almost constantly over quite a few days. :cry:

It was really awful and distressing, especially as she was our heart rat too. I think that she must have had cervical cancer or something. :(

Sorry for your loss. :cry:
Rory,Poppy,Jack-Bear,Badger,Ember,Autumn

:rainbow: Biggy,Tempest,Electra,Rupert,Delphina,Blues,Jazz,Lola,Ruby,Rosie,Shadow,Star,Blue,Willow,Titch,Pagan,Sylva,Lilly,
Alorah,Lucy,Raven, Dysis,Brenna,Alanah,Bracken,Bramble,Katy,Kelowna,Willow, :rainbow:

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:23 pm

So sorry for your loss.. This happened with one of the first viroids my OH had.. She seemed a little quiet one day, started bleeding from her lady parts and then she was gone..
Our friend who worked at the vets and used to breed rats said to us that of all the intact females she had about 2/3 went this way.. Hence why I've always had my girls done.. It was so awful..

My heart goes out to you, I remember how quick and awful it was (PeePee had pus coming out too). Sorry I didnt see your thread before, sadly I don't know if anything anyonecould have said would have changed anything..

(((hugs to you))) she will always remember and appreciate what a loving human she had :)
Currently owned by; MooMoo, Monster, Badger and Dewey
And gone but not forgotten; Pixie, Hammo, Lakitu, Kamek, Hiro, Merry, Legolas, ChimChim, Koopa, Pippin, Wonky, Faerie, Mih-Ko, BooBoo, Sniffe, Chim Chim and Peepee :hearts: