my boys are fighting!!

Discuss rat companionship, introductions and behavioural problems such as biting or shyness or tell us about your rat's unusual habits.
jackiem

my boys are fighting!!

Post by jackiem » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:01 am

I do not claim to be an experienced rat owner but I am on my 5th lot now!!! I adopted 2 lovely boys but they are fighting. So far no blood but they really get aggressive so much so we have to ove them at night as they have alomost launced the cage off the cabinet they are on. They do cuddle together during the day and are realtively friendly although handling is taking time. A freind who knows loads about rats said it may be hormonal as we think they are about 9 months now. She suggested castration but they want £35.00 each for the privelidge. If that is the only way to keep them safe then its fine but has anyone else got any ideas?
Also i have noticed that they are a lot more smelly than my girls.... is this normal. I have always had boys before and never noticed this to be an issue. i keep the boys and girls in seaprate cages but in the same room.... could this account for my boys smell?

thank you in anticipation

Hannah&Lee

Re: my boys are fighting!!

Post by Hannah&Lee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 am

£35 for castration sounds very reasonable! I paid £48!!!!! (hes worth it :D )

daffee

Re: my boys are fighting!!

Post by daffee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:57 pm

I'd agree that £35 is a great price.

What kind of fighting is it though? Does it take them long to get over it, are they stressed out? If they're not drawing blood then that's a good start and i wouldn't neuter unless it's necessary to do so. How long have you had them?
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez