Potential mix?

Discuss what your rats eat. From general diet, food brands, eating problems and treat foods.
vicky1804

Potential mix?

Post by vicky1804 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Im so sorry for all the questions :oops: but the last time I had rats I fed them Reggie rat which I now know isnt great, done some research with help from reading this forum and just typed up a possible mix and was hoping I could get peoples opinions please?

50 % Harrisons Banana Brunch
10% Burns Chicken and Brown Rice
10% Wholemeal Pasta
30% Mixed cereals - Rivita, oats, rice crispies, mini shredded wheat etc Spilt green peas, lentils etc

It would only be for a pair, want to give the best I can without buying 101 ingredients
The mix above would be vary between £2 - £3 per kilo depending on cereals etc

Thank you all for bareing with me
Vicky

acapae_wolf

Re: Potential mix?

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Looks good for the majority :)

If it was me I'd make a couple of tweaks. I personally haven't fed dried pasta in the mix for ages as a in a lot of people's experience, even wholemeal can end up in slightly podgy rats. Just because of being refined and easily digestable. If you are wanting to add some for variety I'd give less than 5% or a small handful in the mix as 10% is rather a lot.

For the cereals just keep an eye on the sugar (and salt) amounts, but looks mostly good. As well as the oats, shredded wheat and ryvita I'd reccomend adding some maize in the form of cornflakes. Rice crispies also being puffed are likely to just get squashed and turned mostly to dust very quickly. A better and much cheaper alternative is just to give them some normal rice - brown is better unless they're older.

You should be alright without adding split peas - Harrison's already has some in the ingredients, and they're not the must beneficial ingredient out there, so I wouldn't go out of your way to add more. Lentils are good for variety though - if you can those still in their husks (i.e. not red split) are best/ most nutritious.

The one main thing I would reccomend adding is a good big handful of some bunny herbs. Most petshops/ vets sell them (a few different brands) if you don't want to go online). Makes the food smell nice, very different textures to grains (and means the food contains non-grain parts of plants), and just generally adds interest in a cheap and easy way.

When you're mixing it up too, don't get bogged down by it working out as exactly 100% as the amoutns are more there as a guideline rather than a specific recipe :D
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Great thank you

So Bunny food & Dog Kibble should account for around 70 % with

Cronflakes, shredded wheat, oats,rivita, rice and bunny herbs the rest with pasta occasionally thrown in for a change?

Thanks again
Vicky

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:32 pm

vicky1804 wrote:So Bunny food & Dog Kibble should account for around 70 %
I'd stick with the listed 50% rabbit food and 10% dog kibble and bump up the amounts of other added cereals to make up the difference. You may find after a couple of batches that you'd rather drop down to 40% commercial base mix - which is the amount I tend to reccomend to people wanting to do that style of mix. It doesn't really matter at that level of decision though :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:21 pm

Thank you very much.
It could be sometime before I need this as we dont have space until our hamster passes but if I get all the info together now then its all done.
Been 8 years ish since I had rats so lots to catch up on :)
Vicky

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I had to do hamster catching up recently :lol:
*~~Beri~~*

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:00 pm

Bit off topic, our guy's about 18 months. He was a rescue, his hairs starting to thin a little and he didnt seam to be getting out and about much.
So when I saw a freddy near by going cheap I bid as I want this cage for our future rats and figured Rogan can have it in the meantime, hes been in it an hour now and still running all over lol Looks really happy :)

Back on topic - for the rabbit herbs could I use the meadow mixes from rat rations? as that's were we will be getting the rabbit food and dog kibble from.

Thanks
Vicky

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:05 pm

You could use the meadow mixes as well, but they're small seeds rather than the plant leaves/ flowers of that sort of plant (what bunny herbs are).
Various online shops that sell them
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... 7&t=148457

I think RR should stock some *hopes John is listening*
:lol:
*~~Beri~~*

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Your mix is very similar to what I used to use and found my girls did really well on it, I also found dried veges and a mixture of seeds went down well as part of the mix and are easy to get hold of, infact I could buy everything apart from the rabbit food and herbs from most supermarkets which was very convenient

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

vicky1804

Post by vicky1804 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:10 pm

That's what i'm looking for, being able to get as much as possible locally. I just wish I could find one of those weigh your own shops down here. Where they keep everything in big barrels and you only buy what you need. That would be great.
Vicky